UVB and Reptiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone on here was telling me that the Reptisun 10.0 uvb flourescent wasn't adequate for beardie d3 synthesis. But actually it is and i here have info about it.
This info was supplied to me by someone at Reptilerooms.com/forums by the username Bruno, there is alot of good info on this site and alot of knowledgable reptile owners, doesn't hurt to check it out.

The Use of UVB, heat and D3 in Reptiles.

Reptiles, Manufacture "pro-vitamin D3" (or 7DHC), in their skin cells, just below the outer surface of the skin, when exposed to wavelengths between 290 and 320nm,(UVB), the optimum being 297nm (this is why most UVB lamps on the market are produced to emit that range of frequencies) it is rapidly converted to "pre-vitamin D3". When they bask, (under heat lamp) this is then converted to D3. This is then carry by the blood stream to the liver where it is further converted to "calcediol".
Calcediol is then carried round the body in the bloodstream, to all the major organs to keep them healthy and working correctly, some to the kidneys where it is converted to "calcetriol" this plays a mojor part in calcium metebolism and governes the levels of calcium in the blood, it controls the absorption rate.
Reptiles, in particular, bearded dragons, collered lizards and Uromastyx and all "sun-worshipers" have adapted their absorption of UVB more than most. They have the ability to "sense" the levels of uv and will move in or out of it just like they do heat, so we should provide from them in vivaria. It is now suggested that even fairly low levels of UVB may be adequate.
You can now see how important it is to have a good UVB source and correct basking temperatures.
Natural sunlight can range from around 200 to 400uW/cm² depending on country, readings taken with a Solar meter 6.2
It has been observed that beardies with access to UV via a mercury vapour lamp, where they had access to a gradient of, up to 300µW/cm², although spending some time directly under it, spent more time where the output was in the range 30 to 150µW/cm², which is the range provided by tubes in the 8% and 10%. I have an 8%, when checked with a solar meter is putting out between 30 @ 12" and 115 @ 6".
I have an egyptian uromastyx and provide him with a choice of UVB from 30 up to around 400 µW/cm², although he does spend some time directly under it, most of the time it's in the region of 200.
What I'm saying is, in this modern age UVB tubes and MVB's do provide adequate UV and the use of extra D3 may not be required. There is so much research to be done yet and it's still not fully understood, but it's begining to look like reptiles can provide sufficient D3 without the use of supplemented D3.or at least with reduced amounts.
When supplements are given via food etc, especially Calcium w/added D3 these are not readily absorbed by the gut and a lot of it is transfered direct to the kidneys, as it bypasses the natural processes that regulate and control the intake.
To much could result in "hypervitaminosis-D" (overdose) and lead to kidney failure and calcification of tissues and possibly premature death.
Something else which concerns me, the tubs of calcium with added D3, do not as far as I'm aware, clarify what ratio or concentration it is. We have no real idea what we are giving them.
From what I have researched above, I am wary of giving a daily dose of additonal D3 in the Calcium.
It is up to the individual to make an informed choice as to whether to use D3 supplements or not.

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
really? everyone on here that i have talked to says that the reptiSUN 10 is a great bulb!

WeArentFree420

Original Poster
Someone on here was telling me that the Reptisun 10.0 uvb flourescent wasn't adequate for beardie d3 synthesis. But actually it is and i here have info about it.

I was actually defending the reptisun 10.0 bulb, you just misread it.

Elora

Sub-Adult Member
No I didnt misread it. I know you are defending it. I was just saying that im surprised that someone said that it wasnt a good bulb becuase everyone else on here has said that its great!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
First let me be clear the persone he is referring to me and I in no way said the reptiSUN was a bad bulb in fact quite the opposite what I said was that is needs to be used in conjunction WITH d3 as does any flurescent uvb.That article was very interesting but it no way shows proof of that d3 is not required.You should go to the UVB boards and review the actually studies.The article is just one persons definition of lamp test results not fact.The amount of d3 by the way found in powder calcium like repcal if given in correct dosage would never lead hypervitaminosis.That is generally caused by a person using an incorrect amount of supplement within the age limitations or by using an all in one supplement like dragon dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom