UV Size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 7" beardie in about a 13g (20"x10"x10") and am trying to best suit his UV needs. For now I'm considering the 20" hood with the Reptisun 5.0 (since he's still young) over a mesh screen which would run the entire length because I have read too many negative things about the compact bulbs. So my question is, when I get a larger tank later, will the 20" bulbs be long enough even with the 10.0 or will I need a longer fixture? Thanks!

Youkai

Hatchling Member
Hello! and Welcome!! :mrgreen:

The length of the ReptiSun isn't as important as the distance from the tube to your beardie. I've learned from other members here that it needs to be within 6-8 inches if using the ReptiSun 10.0, and why not get that one now since it's stronger than the 5.0..
When you get a larger tank, it shouldn't matter, the UVB doesn't need to go the entire length of the tank. In the wild, beardies photo-regulate so they sometimes need areas where they can get away from the UVB a little bit.

Hope that helps! :D

mysterysock

Original Poster
Thank you very much. So even in this small temporary viv where he could be with 6" of the UV 10.0 is ok? In other words, should there be a worry of TOO much uvb?

Youkai

Hatchling Member
You can always provide a "hide" for him, someplace he can go to sleep and/or just feel secure and away from the light. That helps if your beardie feels he's gotten enough UVB for the day plus it can be a comfortable place to sleep.
They are easy to make, if you don't want to buy something, just take anything that you can make a cave out of and place it in the viv where he can crawl in and chill. Preferably something not harmful or fragile that can collapse on him. He might not take to it right away but you can always wait an hour or so after he's gone to sleep and move him in there, sometimes you have to show them all the goodies you provide to make them comfortable. :mrgreen:

The 13G viv is ok temporarily but it never hurts to start thinking about getting a bigger home for him. With proper light, temps, and food, he's going to be super healthy and grow like a weed and that tank will be pretty cramped for him! :wink:

I don't honestly think the 10.0 is going to be too much UVB for the lil guy. If you had a MVB bulb then you'd have to watch out, those provide really high UVB output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom