UTH help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohmybandit

Sub-Adult Member
I have two 10 gallon tanks that were the tropical kit set ups with the UTH.
My petco one is doing fine, no issues (Besides being half on half off but the gecko loves it and i don't really need a thermostat). My petsmart one, I noticed today, the UTH was completely off the tank and won't stick. I put a flat thin rock under it to keep it from falling but it's doing an awful sticking job. Looks like I'm gonna either need to replace it or duct tape it. I kept my UTHs on 24 hours. Is that bad? I've decided to plug them into Bandit's power strip thing (It's late and I'm too tired to think and idk what it's called :( ) that can have 6 things plugged into it at once and that itself is plugged onto her timer that goes 8:30-8:30. Now my question is can the geckos be on timers or should they have heat 24/7? In the wild, they'd have cooler temps too right? and that's when they're supposed to be more active? Anyways, idk if I'm just trying to justify giving the UTH a little 12 hour break, plus my electric bill should enjoy a small break too. My house doesn't drop below 70,(Bandit's tank stays around 72 at night and my infrared laser says the air is 73) would that be too low for them?

Thanks in advance!

PastelBeardie

Juvie Member
That's a little low, 75 is about the lowest their cool side should get, and about 90 for the warm side. The UTH should stay on all the time, and the leo can decide where he or she wants to sleep based on the temps. I bought a new one that wouldn't stick either, and a little bit of duct tape cured that problem. A 10 gallon is too small for an adult leo. A 20 gallon long is much better, and it's what a lot of people use.

mommisgurl

Juvie Member
PastelBeardie":2wfqytpf said:
That's a little low, 75 is about the lowest their cool side should get, and about 90 for the warm side. The UTH should stay on all the time, and the leo can decide where he or she wants to sleep based on the temps. I bought a new one that wouldn't stick either, and a little bit of duct tape cured that problem. A 10 gallon is too small for an adult leo. A 20 gallon long is much better, and it's what a lot of people use.

Exactly what I was going to say :) Everything is correct. I have my leo in a 20 long..UTH on 24/7 with a thermostat (Hyrdrofarm) set at 95. My boy will stay on that side pretty much all the time,thought I'll see his calcium cap licked up at night. I have a Reptitherm UTH ment for a 30-40 gallon so it can cover more area.

ohmybandit

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
All the research I've read said they can be housed in a 10 gallon. Even on theleopardgeckoforum.com and on geckoforums.net. Controversial sure but many people use 10 gallons. But this wasn't to tell me set up was wrong ;) it was UTH help. Ill duct tape it back on and keep it on 24 hours. Thanks

mommisgurl

Juvie Member
ohsmileb":3gah268l said:
All the research I've read said they can be housed in a 10 gallon. Even on theleopardgeckoforum.com and on geckoforums.net. Controversial sure but many people use 10 gallons. But this wasn't to tell me set up was wrong ;) it was UTH help. Ill duct tape it back on and keep it on 24 hours. Thanks

I agree. Some people keep can keep their leos in 10s without problems. I've actually heard that some leos do better in smaller setups,and stress out if put in a huge tank. It's just suggested you put them in a 20 long,just for space as well as giving you more room to provide a temp gradiant. If you feel like your leo will do better in a 10,by all means do it! Every leo is different :) I'm sure we both were just suggesting it! I hope the UTH help was actually help for you! Good luck!

ohmybandit

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
When I move out I was planning on getting a 40g with a divider. But they're gonna have to stay in their 10 g for a while. They're just finally getting used to me and their home and they're letting me take them out to crawl around. I think they're content in their tanks :)

mommisgurl

Juvie Member
ohsmileb":12fb7ud9 said:
When I move out I was planning on getting a 40g with a divider. But they're gonna have to stay in their 10 g for a while. They're just finally getting used to me and their home and they're letting me take them out to crawl around. I think they're content in their tanks :)

Sounds like a great plan to me :)

PastelBeardie

Juvie Member
From what I've seen on geckoforums.net, the majority of people will jump all over anybody who says a 10 gallon is large enough, but you've made up your mind, so I won't get into that discussion here. Besides, you have a split 40 gallon planned for them. :)

mommisgurl

Juvie Member
PastelBeardie":2za0j72v said:
From what I've seen on geckoforums.net, the majority of people will jump all over anybody who says a 10 gallon is large enough, but you've made up your mind, so I won't get into that discussion here. Besides, you have a split 40 gallon planned for them. :)

Yes indeed they do. I'm a member on there,and they are very quick to say that 10gallons in no where near enough..And some of them are right,some of them just want to spoil their geckos. Though I agree that some just do better in smaller spaces! There are so many ways to take care of them. Opinions will always vary

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
I am one from geckoforums and I believe they can be house in a 10 gallon, it is fine.. some just argue about the temp gradient but I think it's fine, I had a leo that lived his whole life in a 10. I also have a 40 gallon split for 2 of mine and I put the UTH in the middle and it works out great. They need a floor temp of 89-95 for proper digestion. Air temp is not as important as floor temp. You can keep a probe thermometer or temp gun to monitor temps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom