Usual new owner paranoia, or something to be worried about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daviEnnis

I bought a baby last Thursday, around 12 weeks old.

Thursday he eats immediately on arrival, don't think he even realises he'd relocated.
Friday he ate nothing.
Saturday managed to get some locusts in him.
Sunday another few locusts and a mealworm (I know this shouldn't be a regular thing, he'd refused both locusts and crickets and I wanted to see if he'd eat anything)
Monday a couple locusts and roaches
Now Tuesday and he's had 2 medium roaches

Amongst all these days he's generally had a little bit of leafs - alittle rocket, or some other leaf (from florette crispy salad, not sure what it is). I've also managed to get him to take the odd drop of water, and managed to get several ml of water in one sitting one day.

Now he's went through what you'd expect from a relocation stress perspective. But today he looked like he was laying flat a lot more, almost as if moving his rear was a struggle, but then he'll happily climb and jump so I definitely don't think anything is wrong there.

Long story short - am I being paranoid? I just want to ensure there's not anything wrong that I catch too late. These are some recent pics I took.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They will go thru relocation stress but you did not mention lighting - UVB brand and bulb coil or tube and does the tube have a reflector on it? Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate- this is very important
Karrie

daviEnnis

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1p4bul3z said:
They will go thru relocation stress but you did not mention lighting - UVB brand and bulb coil or tube and does the tube have a reflector on it? Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate- this is very important
Karrie

The UVB is a tube, Arcadia ProT5 and has a reflector. The basking bulb is also Arcadia, the basking temp is 39-40 celcius. I set using Habistat thermostat, and then have a digital thermometer to tell me/validate the thermostat. Also have another dig thermometer at the cool end which runs around 27-28 celcius.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so good lighting and basking temps--- I would start him on salads-- get some BSFL they are a good staple feeder add as many as you want use them to lure him to the salad bowl-- feed the salads first w/ your bsfl as lures- then add your locust or roaches to the salad -- his eating may be off for awhile but as long as he's eating pooping and basking your good-- make sure he stays hydrated- you can do that by rinsing your greens before serving
Karrie

daviEnnis

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1nejhhl6 said:
Ok so good lighting and basking temps--- I would start him on salads-- get some BSFL they are a good staple feeder add as many as you want use them to lure him to the salad bowl-- feed the salads first w/ your bsfl as lures- then add your locust or roaches to the salad -- his eating may be off for awhile but as long as he's eating pooping and basking your good-- make sure he stays hydrated- you can do that by rinsing your greens before serving
Karrie

Thanks, because he's eating so little I have been offering him water via a dripper separately too. He does still seem very, very lethargic - is this something to worry about (we're on day 6 of him being rehomed)? Does he look healthy enough?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
In the pic he looks alert - is he not moving around? Can you post another pic of him please- lethargic is not good - where is the ProT5? Is it on top of the tank or inside the tank - please post pics of the tank and lighting
Karrie

daviEnnis

Original Poster
KarrieRee":138cfgbb said:
In the pic he looks alert - is he not moving around? Can you post another pic of him please- lethargic is not good - where is the ProT5? Is it on top of the tank or inside the tank - please post pics of the tank and lighting
Karrie

Here he is -

This is lighting (it's inside tank - I'm out house at moment, so his viv has more decor now but light positioning is still the same - t5 goes around 75% of length of tank)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He does not look lethargic-- please get a piece of decor another piece place it directly under the UVB approx 12-15 inches -- from the pic it looks more than 15 inches -- I dont see any stress marks on your guy-- Keep offering him food - his eating will eventually pick up but get a piece of decor directly under that UVB - distance is key here - as long as hes eating something basking and pooping and active hes good
Karrie

daviEnnis

Original Poster
KarrieRee":o3ul0udm said:
He does not look lethargic-- please get a piece of decor another piece place it directly under the UVB approx 12-15 inches -- from the pic it looks more than 15 inches -- I dont see any stress marks on your guy-- Keep offering him food - his eating will eventually pick up but get a piece of decor directly under that UVB - distance is key here - as long as hes eating something basking and pooping and active hes good
Karrie

Thanks,I'm home now so this is a view of his current setup. Are you saying he also needs something higher to take him closer to the UVB tube? The Viv is 2ft high for context.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How many inches is the UVB from where he is basking---? If it's farther than 15 inches it's to far-- your tank looks great
Karrie

daviEnnis

Original Poster
KarrieRee":18tiqjh0 said:
How many inches is the UVB from where he is basking---? If it's farther than 15 inches it's to far-- your tank looks great
Karrie

17 inches. Is this sub optimal (fix it soon), or dangerous (stop what I'm doing and find a way to fix it now.. current plan is to put a shoe box in there till I find a branch)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yeah it's to far-- do it as soon as you can-- PetSmart has great decor for dragons--- I would look for something that offers different heat gradient- different spots for him to sit - but you definitely want something that's gonna get him in the 12-15 inches range
Karrie

daviEnnis

Original Poster
KarrieRee":ezass3dv said:
Yeah it's to far-- do it as soon as you can-- PetSmart has great decor for dragons--- I would look for something that offers different heat gradient- different spots for him to sit - but you definitely want something that's gonna get him in the 12-15 inches range
Karrie

Sorry, we don't have petsmart (Scotland), can you send me an example and I'll try to find our version? I have ordered him a large log which I hope will allow him to climb where required.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, Karrie's got you all straightened out with the lighting distance situation. One thing I'd like to add is be sure that the insects are smaller than the width between his eyes, they can suffer from impaction if the insects are too large. Other than that it sounds like your little friend will be fine. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom