Using Halogen bulbs as heat source??

Status
Not open for further replies.

gryphonsmom

Hatchling Member
Does anyone know if using halogen bulbs (like GE brand) are ok for a heat/basking source? Obviously, I still have a reptisun 10.0, but I am building a custom enclosure (48x18x24) and need a heat source that works well for lighting too besides the Zoo Med Bulbs :)

If you can answer that question, can you answer this one? If halogen works as a heat/light source, what wattage would I need to heat my cage?

All answers are appreciated!

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
standard household bulbs are common use for basking bulbs, wattage depends on a lot of different variables, trial and error.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
^^^yuppers

halogens run a little hotter than the normal household bulbs. There are two types of halogens, floodlight and spotlight. Spotlights give a more concentrated beam. floodlights heat a larger area, they can be useful if you need to raise the overall ambient temps of your viv.

triumphtt

Juvie Member
gryphonsmom":2rrfpuiw said:
Does anyone know if using halogen bulbs (like GE brand) are ok for a heat/basking source? Obviously, I still have a reptisun 10.0, but I am building a custom enclosure (48x18x24) and need a heat source that works well for lighting too besides the Zoo Med Bulbs :)

If you can answer that question, can you answer this one? If halogen works as a heat/light source, what wattage would I need to heat my cage?

All answers are appreciated!

YES! GE REVEAL bulbs have a full light spectrum. When I brought Puff home (adopted from someone that didn't want him anymore) He had a normal bulb and the vet actually told me to use the GE Reveal he personally uses them. After I got home 75 watt spot light (I have a 6x2x2 tank so it's not to hot keeps it right about 105) He perked right up and it made the cage so much brighter. I only buy GE reveal now and it's nice cause they come in all shape and sizes as well as watts and types.

saleen89559

Juvie Member
The good thing about GE Reveal or any Halogen spotlight bulb is that in many cases they are much cheaper then a pet store bought heat lamp bulb.

Someone should do a little experimenting and have a budget heat solution for people with tighter budgets. A wattage scale with GE Reveal bulbs and the distances each wattage needs to reach 100-105 degrees would be a good thing.

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
I am now confused! LOL (and halogen bulbs are a great choice as well as regular clear bulbs)

I bought a number of packages and different wattages of the GE REVEAL bulbs thinking they would be perfect for the basking area...

When I got home I decided to ask about them and I got 5 or so posts that the blue tint on these bulbs was really not a good thing for them..........at least not as good as a regular clear bulb :roll:

So off I went and bought clear bulbs. *sigh*. I would love to hear from some lighting and beardie experts on why I would have been told not to use the reveals (I think they ALL have the tint, that is what makes them full spectrum and I know beardies see all colors, even uva that we do not see :)). I don't want to search the posts but that was about it.

My guy is sick right now and if switching to one of the Reveals could help even a little I will do it...(He also has a Reptisun 10)

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Sherri I would like to know that too, I have used Reveals a and other type bulbs. The ones you do not want to use are soft white and that is because they do not produce enough visible light. I also will use Phillips Natural Light bulbs too.

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
In regards to the halogen bulbs, as ziggy stated they get very hot. What size is your viv? If you want to use one start with the lowest wattage which as far as I know is a 40 watt. (I looked for a 25 watt but no go). It also depends on the distance your beardie will be.

I wanted to use one but got a wattage that is too high even with my favorite gadget for the viv; the dimmer switch lol, and now other questions are popping up again :roll: GE Reveal? Halide? etc.

Oh, and my apologies to gryphonsmom! I did not intend to hijack your thread! oops :oops:
I will put a shout out to any lighting expert who is also an expert on our dragons :) There have been a few interesting questions regarding basking lights, lately.

KotaBeardie

I am using a 100 watt halogen bulb that looks like a regular household bulb, but I don't think it is heating Kota's basking spot enough. I have a 40gl breeder tank. This is an excellent question, and I was just about to ask it myself :) So confused on what to use...

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
KotaBeardie":drs2qc9m said:
I am using a 100 watt halogen bulb that looks like a regular household bulb, but I don't think it is heating Kota's basking spot enough. I have a 40gl breeder tank. This is an excellent question, and I was just about to ask it myself :) So confused on what to use...

What bulb in particular? What is the room temperature in which the enclosure is in? Is there a draft going past the enclosure? Where do you live? Is it hot or cold? Is the enclosure near a window? So on and so on...

It is so hard for us to determine which lights for people to use as there are so many variables that play important factors. For Kota if the room is cooler then the bulb may not keep up, I would add a second dome fixture and a lower wattage bulb, do not up the wattage of the 100 watt as the lumen output will also increase and you don't want it too bright. I have my dragons all in one room, the room is typically at 80 degrees F, I have never needed anything over a 75 watt bulb to keep the basking areas in check. If the door to their room is open and the A/C is on then I have a secondary bulb to help keep the temperatures consistent, if they start to tweak I will flip on a fan near the A/C vent. I have tried and tried, failed and tried again to achieve what I have accomplished to this point, their temperatures are good but, I am still progressing also at this point. I feel that the temperatures via lighting are a consent learning curve that I plan not to perfect anytime soon.

Contributing factors for people to consider...

Enclosure size
Enclosure type
Distance of the bulb from basking
Substrate
Proximity to a window
Proximity to a door
Proximity near a bathroom
Human traffic through or near the enclosure
Draft
Enclosure placed on 1st, 2nd floors or basement
Room temperature/humidity
Outside weather/temperature
Enclosure placement to AC, heat vent
Extra fans or ceiling fan

I am sure there are more but, these are what I cam up with from memory on the spot. All in all choose a bulb that is bright but not too bright. I would suggest up to 950 lumen, anything past may be too bright. Also factor in the wattage to lumen, I have tried a 57 watt clear bulb that has a 810 lumen output. The bulb is clear and produces sufficient heat for the most part. The higher wattage will produce typically more heat but is also dependent of the glass, coated heavily? lightly? clear?

What I would suggest to the OP is to come up with a chart, add columns for contributing factors, test and mark the results. This will help you best choose your bulbs for the current time of year. :wink:

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
Beardednoob":3tymcp30 said:
Sherri I would like to know that too, I have used Reveals a and other type bulbs. The ones you do not want to use are soft white and that is because they do not produce enough visible light. I also will use Phillips Natural Light bulbs too.

Hi Michael, (is it Michael?? sorry if I have it wrong!)

Do you purchase the Phillips at Lowe's? Home Depot does not carry it. Walmart is a joke for household items now it seems :roll: I would like to have a small variety on hand for when one burns out to see if there is a difference for him. :D

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Actually I get all my bulbs when I go grocery shopping for the week (if they are needed or running low that is). Smith's, Win co or Reams for my location. I use general household bulbs, the kind that are everywhere. No need for flood lights in my opinion at least not for my location of Utah. Also yes it is Michael. :wink:

gryphonsmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Sherri":27f302pd said:
Oh, and my apologies to gryphonsmom! I did not intend to hijack your thread! oops :oops:
No worries, Sherri. This is why the forum is here; so people who have the same questions can discuss answers/solutions, etc. :)
This may be rude, but I am glad to see that I am not the only person who is having trouble figuring this one out. I know that halogens tend to produce more heat than regular incandescents, but was not sure about the brightness/tint, etc :study: .
THANKS EVERYONE FOR POSTING!

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
I would also like to respond by saying it was my initial confusion of which bulb was in question as well. Every post I have made here was in reference to your typical household bulb. :wink:

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
Beardednoob":3r0228bq said:
I would also like to respond by saying it was my initial confusion of which bulb was in question as well. Every post I have made here was in reference to your typical household bulb. :wink:
:mrgreen:

And, gryphonsmom :) Yes, I likely would not have the correct set-up without the wonderful people on this forum :blob5: *Hip Hip HooooRA! :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom