Use Caution buying Beardies Online!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wb1000

I'm sure all the Beardie Fans out there can agree that they love to see pictures of brightly colored Dragons. Over the past few years, there has been many new varieties in color posted to the internet, and some online stores are boasting bright colors in their dragons. BEWARE of buying brightly colored Beardies off of the internet, for when they arrive at your door you will most likely be disappointed!!!

I recently purchased a Beardie from A1, who is located in Ohio. Delivery was fast, and the Beardie was healthy. The color of the Beardie that was sent to me however, was not like the picture off the internet. Sure, the Beardie they sent me had some color, but wasn't nearly as bright as the picture. When I called to tell them about it, I was basically yelled at. They then said that I could return the dragon.

Point being, use caution buying a dragon from the internet. It's too easy to enhance a picture to make the dragon look brighter then it is naturally.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well if I was just placed in some box and shipped across the US I wouldn't look my brightest either. Beardies get very dark when they are stressed out. Usually you won't see them in there good colors until the relocation stress has settled.

At least they said you can return him if you want. Personally I think they didn't con you or anything, its just that the beardie was stressed. Unless you have comparison pictures that would be easier to tell.

-Brandon

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah I agree. I have a very bright citrus phase, and there's a huge difference in her colors depending on her mood. When she's happy she's bright as the sun, but when she's stressed she looks like she can get as dark as chocolate and looks like she's been in the mud.

Another thing to remember is they don't come into their full colors until their older. I've had several plain looking hatchlings turn into beautifully colored adults. Even my citrus was not nearly as colorful as she is now.

Honda99300ex

Juvie Member
hmmm, in my experience with dragons being shipped to me, they always seem to show their brightest colors. I have noticed they get dark when stressed, but I also have noticed that a very stressed dragon can often show its brightest colors.

BaskingBaby

Sub-Adult Member
I've had MANY dragons shipped to me and have never been disappointed with my purchases. All have turned out like their pictures or better. If you purchase from a sub-par breeder, you might run into those kinds of problems...that's why you have to be confident in the breeder you choose and read reviews if possible. See pictures of the parents, know their genetics, and you will have a better chance of getting the nice colorful dragon that you want.

I don't see anything wrong with SHIPPING dragons in general either. The majority of the big chain pet stores all have their babies shipped in, in fact I would say the vast majority of all pet stores have their reptiles shipped in from other places. It's just when we go online we get to select our own breeder and our own dragon and they are shipped directly to us.

Sorry you aren't happy with the color of your baby, but keep in mind it does take up to a few weeks sometimes for their true happy colors to shine. A lot of babies are very dark when they're hungry, cold, or stressed. Give it a few weeks and I'm sure once he settles in you'll see some pretty colors.

wb1000

Original Poster
Congrats! In just 4 short posts, I have remembered why I never get on Blogs. Of course I have pictures to contrast against, I bought the Beardie off the internet. It stands to reason that just about everyone knows a Beardie gets darker when its stressed, and I never buy anything live unless its from a reputable breeder.

I wasn't posting a question, I was TELLING everyone on this website to use caution.

I even tried taking pictures of the new Beardie, I'm using an 8mm digital camera, and I still can't get the same color as the picture that was posted of the Beardie off the Internet.

wb1000

Original Poster
I agree with the whole shipping thing. Nothing wrong with shipping a dragon.

Also, I'm not returning her. Mainly because I need another female. She is very pretty! Just not as colorful as the internet picture.

Honda99300ex

Juvie Member
Maybe the pic was photoshopped?? I have heard of a few breeders doing that...any way you could post the pics of before you bought her and your pics? Not saying it isn't true, I deff. Believe you , but I'm just curious how much of a difference there is.

JenFid

Sub-Adult Member
wb1000":3g16e272 said:
Congrats! In just 4 short posts, I have remembered why I never get on Blogs. Of course I have pictures to contrast against, I bought the Beardie off the internet. It stands to reason that just about everyone knows a Beardie gets darker when its stressed, and I never buy anything live unless its from a reputable breeder.

I wasn't posting a question, I was TELLING everyone on this website to use caution.

I even tried taking pictures of the new Beardie, I'm using an 8mm digital camera, and I still can't get the same color as the picture that was posted of the Beardie off the Internet.
You post on a public forum and expect people not to chime in? Nice.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Just a warning, this thread is being watched so please think before you post something that wasn't polite as rudeness is not permitted on this forum.

Phoenix17June2009

Gray-bearded Member
i think there are people everywhere (unfortunatly) that will scam you, you just have to be proactive about everything you do, most espically on the internet, there are so many tool that you can use now to enhance pictures and change tiny things that can be misleading to someone who is purchasing, you just have to be careful and make sure you do your research about the company you are buying from

just my .02 :D

my1stBD

Juvie Member
I have to agree the OP posted to warn people, if you dont want to listen,. . . . . . dont.
No need to be rude.

At least the info is out there for those that want to read and maybe double check before buying from an online site and being disappointed.

I have personally seen advets online where colours have been enhanced and the picture is way way off from the actual beardie. Its quick and easy. And it DOES happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom