Uric acid levels in dubia roaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

MostBeast

I recently have had concerns of gout in my bearded dragon. I haven't narrowed it down to dubia roaches yet but I did a lot of research on the roaches diet and how it impacts my dragon. I'll be able to go to the vet earliest on Friday. In the meantime I would like to try anything to help her. I think your acid levels in my roaches are higher than normal because I feed them a mixture of oatmeal, Cheerios and dog food. I've recently learned that the dog food has too much protein and they convert excess protein into uric acid. If I remove the dog food from their diet, will uric acid levels drop? Or am I stuck with roaches that have high uric levels for life? In other words will they remove the uric acid overtime or does it just build up inside them? Thanks for all the help

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't know for sure but I'd imagine their systems would flush it out over time. Try a diet of just scrap veges for a while. That's what I've given my roaches for years and they've done well. They especially love squash but will tear into scrap leaves and other veges leftover from my dragon's meals and their prep as well as any veges that are starting to go south.

MostBeast

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3neas5pr said:
I don't know for sure but I'd imagine their systems would flush it out over time. Try a diet of just scrap veges for a while. That's what I've given my roaches for years and they've done well. They especially love squash but will tear into scrap leaves and other veges leftover from my dragon's meals and their prep as well as any veges that are starting to go south.
Yeah, mine go insane over yellow squash! Hopefully they are able to flush it out. I can't find any information on it

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Mine will destroy yellow squash also. Nice to see mine aren't deficient and it's just a roach thing! Also I know when I give mine an orange slice they get super hydrated, like even their poop is mushy. Maybe a couple orange slices could help dilute or flush their systems?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
So, different roaches have different methods of uric acid storage and things they do with it. Generally it is a way that they store excess protein in times of plenty and convert it back in times of less. Its not quite the same as gut loading since the uric acid is stored in certain organs. Some roaches can excrete it and offer it to each other as part of courtship. It hasn't been studied how or how much dubia store it or process it, but it would seem the safest bet is to feed a low protein diet and feed off younger roaches rather than older ones.

Dog food tends to be lower protein than cat food, and depending on how much of the diet is other items the overly protein content may be ok. You can also look into supplementing the live feed part of the diet with other feeders to help reduce the amount of roaches overall she is eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom