URI

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
I would like to proceed by informing those who read this that I first sent this message to Traci personally. I want to apologize if I've upset anyone by essentially putting out 2 of the same message but, please know I've done so because of my heavy heart and the hope that I find some promising guidance.

So here is what I sent to Traci...

I'm in a very tough (stressful is an understatement) spot with my baby boy.
Actually let me start with the specifics before I forget.
Sex: Male
Lighting: Reptisun T5 HO/ ExoTerra Intense Basking Heat Bulb
Diet: Calcium and Multivitamin from day one. For food Primarily crickets (to minimize fat intake)
He's beyond stubborn with greens/veggies but he does occasionally get arugula, blueberries, bell peppers, BeechNut "naturals" baby food (NO ADDITIVES). Additional live food is dubia, superworm, and hornworm for variety. To be clear, I am aware his diet should primarily be veggies but, because he means the world to me I assure you I've tried EVERYTHING.
Enclosure: 4x2x2 ft melamine (photo included)

I believe that covers it.
So I'm writing mainly for your guidance on how to treat URI on my own at home. I can't see any other reason for what I believe are the signs for it and I feel he has it in my bones. Unfortunately the only (and the best) exotic vet around performed x-rays upon my request and, after doing an exam and taking the X-rays, their opinion was that there was no indication of URI or MBD (which I also requested they check for). I had a little confidence in them to begin with, and now I have less. Unless I'm completely wrong, which I would be absolutely thrilled about, I don't see how they can be right in their assessment. I guess that's it for now. The video of course is an example of the breathing he does that concerns me. By the way, he only breathes this way occasionally. Thank you in advance for taking your time to read this. It means SO much to me

I did however forget to mention to Traci that on the plus side, there's been no decrease in RJ's appetite or weight.
The video is hard to see what's going on but he's breathing heavy. His stomach will expand prior to an open mouthed exhale. I also "heard" the exhale.
Also important I'm sure, is that there's been zero nasal waste issues. I really haven't noticed him making the infamous clicking noise either but, I suppose there's a chance I've just not heard it.
The photo is his enclosure and I hope the video goes through. I'll send as a link because "attaching" it didn't seem to be working.
Thank you SO MUCH to any who can offer help. This lil guy means the world to me.
Lastly, please know I'm only sending this message publicly after sending it privately to Traci in case she's unable to get to it for a while. I'm well aware of all the important work she does and I respect her for it.
h
ttps://photos.app.goo.gl/7jqYayD4pkEpzFFS8

Attachments

• IMG_20230620_173024442_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230620_173024442_HDR.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 121

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
The video link didn't hyperlink.
His eye look a little sunken (but it's hard to see for sure, i was really zoomed in)
What do you do for hydration?
If I'm lax about giving my guys water i see them gulp a little. (Then i feel horrible for not beeing more attentive). Are you sure it isn't something as simple as that going on? (Not being judgemental at all, just ruling out one possibility)

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
His eye look a little sunken (but it's hard to see for sure, i was really zoomed in)
If I'm lax about giving my guys water i see them gulp a little. (Then i feel horrible for not beeing more attentive). Are you sure it isn't something as simple as that going on? (Not being judgemental at all, just ruling out one possibility)
I give water by a dropper onto his nose. Is it your belief I may not be doing it frequently enough? Honestly, I was told countless times that the require very little. Which is something that always seemed to make sense given their natural environment.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
His eyes never seemed off to me but, I never turn away an opinion. Especially regarding something as important as his health. Here is a close up if it helps you see better

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230620-190058.jpg
    Screenshot_20230620-190058.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 42

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
His eyes never seemed off to me but, I never turn away an opinion. Especially regarding something as important as his health. Here is a close up if it helps you see better
What are your surface basking temps and how are you taking them?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
His eyes look good there, i had the other picture so zoomed it was a bit blurry. I still can't open the video. Most of us upload to youtube and link it from there.
I usually try to offer water 1 to 2 times per week. 2 of mine will drink everytime, the other 3 are hit or miss. They don't require large amount like other pets, but i would rather offer to much than to little, mine are horrible about greens so err on the side of caution.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
What are your surface basking temps and how are you taking them?
Digital probe 95/80 Night time is typically around 70. I prefer the night time temps not be any lower than 70 because he does have Adenovirus.
Speaking of which, it's because he has the virus that I worry so much about him. I suppose that's foolish to say as I can't imagine loving him any less if he didn't have it. However my point is, he's my third dragon. Each one of them were positive for it when I got them. (tested right away, as babies) My first lived just over 2, second just under 2, and well, as my post says, he's 6 and has always been in good health despite having it. He's not even had a positive fecal test in 5 years. Geez, sorry about all that. Didn't intend to rant, I digress. It's just frustrating when your confident you're doing everything right, to give them the best life, and you feel it in your bones that something's off. The only vet within quite a distance is only "ok," I'm my opinion. (Which I base off of what those with experience have taught me here) When I took him to the vet for an exam, (mostly to use them for their machines) I actually had to insist the X-ray be done. Anymore, I believe I mentioned already, they said the results of it showed no likelihood of URI or MBD which I asked about to be on the safe side. (He has of course always had his supplements and the best UVB bulbs)

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
His eyes look good there, i had the other picture so zoomed it was a bit blurry. I still can't open the video. Most of us upload to youtube and link it from there.
I usually try to offer water 1 to 2 times per week. 2 of mine will drink everytime, the other 3 are hit or miss. They don't require large amount like other pets, but i would rather offer to much than to little, mine are horrible about greens so err on the side of caution.
Giving him water is always a stressful process for me. Try as I may not to, the whole time he's drinking, my mind is thinking, don't aspirate, don't aspirate. I do make a point to do it while his head is angled down to be safe.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Digital probe 95/80 Night time is typically around 70. I prefer the night time temps not be any lower than 70 because he does have Adenovirus.
Speaking of which, it's because he has the virus that I worry so much about him. I suppose that's foolish to say as I can't imagine loving him any less if he didn't have it. However my point is, he's my third dragon. Each one of them were positive for it when I got them. (tested right away, as babies) My first lived just over 2, second just under 2, and well, as my post says, he's 6 and has always been in good health despite having it. He's not even had a positive fecal test in 5 years. Geez, sorry about all that. Didn't intend to rant, I digress. It's just frustrating when your confident you're doing everything right, to give them the best life, and you feel it in your bones that something's off. The only vet within quite a distance is only "ok," I'm my opinion. (Which I base off of what those with experience have taught me here) When I took him to the vet for an exam, (mostly to use them for their machines) I actually had to insist the X-ray be done. Anymore, I believe I mentioned already, they said the results of it showed no likelihood of URI or MBD which I asked about to be on the safe side. (He has of course always had his supplements and the best UVB bulbs)
I am wondering the breathing thing is because of the Adenovirus -- lets have Tracie look at your post --
@Drache613

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I am wondering the breathing thing is because of the Adenovirus -- lets have Tracie look at your post --
@Drache613
The way I understand the virus and how it behaves is that it has the ability to weaken the different systems within the animals body and as a result leaving the animal vulnerable to illnesses such as a respiratory infection for example. So unless I'm mistaken, the actual problem would be a respiratory infection. Of course the virus made it easier for the infection to enter the body but, I believe the problem needing to be identified and resolved is the infection. Besides, as I'm sure we all know, the virus, sadly can not be resolved/treated.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Tracie is working on that, i believe there might be some progress on treatment options. It might be worth asking her about 🙂

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
By the way, I forgot to ask, by what means do you provide your bearded dragon water? Just thought I'd ask in case there's a better way to do it besides the water dropper

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
By the way, I forgot to ask, by what means do you provide your bearded dragon water? Just thought I'd ask in case there's a better way to do it besides the water dropper
You can spray their head let the water drip down - I put blaze up on a salad plate drips off his head and he licks the water off the plate

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So essentially (save for minor differences in the details) the same process as I use.
OH! Off topic but, this just popped in my head and since I got you here...
I forget what the different supplements are that specifically provide benefits for beardies with Adenovirus. I know milk thistle is one. Also, if you know, the amounts and frequencies. Please

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom