URGENT!

Lyrebird.Rainwing

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Swordtail
Swordtail was drinking a bunch of water but when he stopped he started to open his mouth and puff out his beard! I had to repeatability open his mouth so he could breathe and he ended up vomiting out some worms he ate earlier and also pooed

There is a bit of blood but thankfully (Or I guess not thankfully?) It’s all my blood from him biting me

He seems to be breathing somewhat normally now but just seems to be a bit in shock. How do I make sure he is okay and also prevent this from happening again?
He is currently back in his enclosure on his hammock btw

Lyrebird.Rainwing

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Swordtail
Plus, I also have to clean up lizard vomit-poo off the carpet
And my appetite went poof

Update: He seems to be back to normal, and also became a pancake

Last edited:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh dear poor guy! That is never ever fun when that happens, it is quite stressful for everyone
involved but especially your dragon when they throw up!
I'm glad that he seems to be back to his old normal self, with a black beard! Since he threw up
& was stressed, be sure to try & give some oral fluids to help out in case he might be dehydrated
to some extent.
I hope your hand/fingers are ok!

Tracie

Lyrebird.Rainwing

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Swordtail
Hello,

Oh dear poor guy! That is never ever fun when that happens, it is quite stressful for everyone
involved but especially your dragon when they throw up!
I'm glad that he seems to be back to his old normal self, with a black beard! Since he threw up
& was stressed, be sure to try & give some oral fluids to help out in case he might be dehydrated
to some extent.
I hope your hand/fingers are ok!

Tracie
He is currently getting some much needed sleep at the moment

Lyrebird.Rainwing

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Swordtail
Hello!

Terrific, I'm glad to hear he is peacefully sleeping now.

Tracie
His sleeping behavior seems normal too
He's sleeping in the same spot he sleeps in all the time, on his hammock with his head somewhat wedged into the corner of his enclosure

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

That is good to hear. Hopefully it will be as if nothing ever happened! They can sure worry us
to death though.

Tracie

rylie

Swordtail was drinking a bunch of water but when he stopped he started to open his mouth and puff out his beard! I had to repeatability open his mouth so he could breathe and he ended up vomiting out some worms he ate earlier and also pooed

There is a bit of blood but thankfully (Or I guess not thankfully?) It’s all my blood from him biting me

He seems to be breathing somewhat normally now but just seems to be a bit in shock. How do I make sure he is okay and also prevent this from happening again?
He is currently back in his enclosure on his hammock btw

i’m having sort of a similar problem. I took my bearded dragon to the vet the other day because she wasn’t pooping and they gave her an enema without letting me know that it’s fatal so I had no idea at the time or i wouldn’t have let them. she threw up all her worms this morning and tried to poop, but only got a little bit out. I don’t know if it’s because she’s over hydrated from the enema because now all she is throwing up is water I don’t want to give her anything but I don’t know what to do because it’s more serious and her just throwing up because enemas are fatal. I don’t know what to do, and I don’t know who to trust because the vet was clearly uneducated and irresponsible to go through with the procedure without telling me the possible side effects

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
i’m having sort of a similar problem. I took my bearded dragon to the vet the other day because she wasn’t pooping and they gave her an enema without letting me know that it’s fatal so I had no idea at the time or i wouldn’t have let them. she threw up all her worms this morning and tried to poop, but only got a little bit out. I don’t know if it’s because she’s over hydrated from the enema because now all she is throwing up is water I don’t want to give her anything but I don’t know what to do because it’s more serious and her just throwing up because enemas are fatal. I don’t know what to do, and I don’t know who to trust because the vet was clearly uneducated and irresponsible to go through with the procedure without telling me the possible side effects
I posted on your other thread

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Most likely her intestines were perforated by the enema. That should be a last resort from any vet. I posted just a day or two ago on the same issue. (In someones elses thread, not my own) The long and short of it was i dropped my boy off for something that didn't even need a fecal, but the vet without asking me or informing me he was going to do it, did so. I very nearly lost my boy to. It was very touch and go for a while. Now if i take any of mine to the vet i very forcefully make sure they understand that is off limits. I posted on your other thread also, but I'll offer my condolences again here, I'm very saddened and sorry you have been put through this, it's avoidable and inexcusable they did this to you and your girl.

rylie

I want to know how this could have happened and how to prevent it from happening again though
i took her to another vet and they said the enema caused a fluid overload in her system that spread and caused her to throw up liquid and not be able to breath. This would’ve been prevented if the other vet had warned us about the potential dangers of this procedure, then we could’ve went another route. But they didn’t and now i lost my baby in less than 24 hours of getting the enema. what makes it even more heartbreaking for me was my beardie was one of the last gifts i got from my mother before she passed away in august of last year. I’m only 15 and it’s hard having lost my mom at my age and one of the last things i have that remind me of her all in less than a year. Sage was the most amazing bearded dragon ever she was so affectionate and so loving and so so so silly. We loved playing dress up and watching tv together. She was my best friend and it still doesn’t feel real knowing she’s gone so fast.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I want to know how this could have happened and how to prevent it from happening again though
You have to be exceedingly careful with water. Its best to givecit to them with an eyedropper by dripping itvonbtheir snout (avoiding the nostrils). They cannot walk/run/swim and breathe at the same time. They use the same muscle group to walk and to breathe. They can't do both at once. If you have them in a bath watch them every single second, they can inhale water and drown in the blink of an eye. Even drinking in a bath could be hazardous. Also don't let them guzzle water. And if they are guzzling water they likely aren't getting enough in their food, so back to using the eyedropper to give them water. It should be offered 2 to 3 times per week.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
i took her to another vet and they said the enema caused a fluid overload in her system that spread and caused her to throw up liquid and not be able to breath. This would’ve been prevented if the other vet had warned us about the potential dangers of this procedure, then we could’ve went another route. But they didn’t and now i lost my baby in less than 24 hours of getting the enema. what makes it even more heartbreaking for me was my beardie was one of the last gifts i got from my mother before she passed away in august of last year. I’m only 15 and it’s hard having lost my mom at my age and one of the last things i have that remind me of her all in less than a year. Sage was the most amazing bearded dragon ever she was so affectionate and so loving and so so so silly. We loved playing dress up and watching tv together. She was my best friend and it still doesn’t feel real knowing she’s gone so fast.
I know it won't be the same, but you should consider adopting another beardie. I'm slightly ocd and the only thing that helped me stop obsessing about the two i have lost was getting another to take my mind off it. It won't be sage, but there are thousands of beardies out there in bad situations that need someone to love them, and once they understand you care they love you right back. I have two rescues and 3 none rescues. My rescues are by far more affectionate then the none rescues.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom