URGENT!! Skin falling off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damieboo

Hatchling Member
I posted a few weeks ago about my dragon Damien, who has tail rot. I tried medicating it with betadine and triple antibiotic which seemed to stave off the infection for the most part, however it has progressed rapidly and aggressively throughout the night. About 2 centimeters of her tail past the dead part is soggy, yellow and wet. Yesterday it was a bright yellow color but the scales were intact, today it is almost dissolved. I have wrapped it in kleenexes so that she doesn't get sand stuck to it or rub it on anything, and i have an emergency vet trip tomorrow in the morning.

However, I want to do something to help it through the night. Can I soak it in betadine? I'm afraid with the raw skin it might be too painful for her...Would it help to smear some antibiotic on it and wrap it? I'm scared it's going to progress faster through the night.

Also, any after vet care tips? Such as raise temps, more UV, a gentler diet, etc?

I'm just a newbie with dragons, so I wish I had ANY advice, but unfortunately I don't. That is so sad though. I hope she ends up being okay. Good luck with everything tomorrow!

Damieboo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Here are pictures.

Close up:

923129_10152020637929572_1435939183_n.jpg

Here you can see where the dead part leads to raw skin, it's sloughing off for the most part. Looks like an infection on top of tail rot.
382666_10152020638029572_1339102990_n.jpg

Vianeth

I wouldn't medicate with anything until you see a qualified reptile veterinarian. Make sure the temps are good, so that it can feel comfortable.

MsWanda10166

Hatchling Member
The pic looks like yellow fungus, does it look yellow to you? If so then you can use Lamisil. I also would strongly suggest your dragon not be on sand, but it looks as if you have taken care of that already?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh your poor dragon's tail, it probably does hurt her.
I would take the sand out of the tank & replace it with paper towels, or non adhesive shelf liner instead. I would use an antibiotic ointment on that area such as neosporin or polysporin right now until you can get her to a vet.
I wouldn't use any betadine or anything else on that area right now since it is raw & open.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Damieboo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Vet trip went fine. The vet really knew what she was talking about. But Damien hated her. :p She "growled" every time the vet touched her. She took a sample of the dead part of the tail for a yellow fungus culture and gave me a solution and cream to apply every day while we wait for results. She also clipped her thumb claws to the quick because they were twisted terribly so hopefully they grow back straighter this time.

Right now Damien is basking (oddly enough) and running around in her cage. But that might be her "i'm gonna poop!" dance so...I'll leave her in there. :p

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor Damien....keep an eye out that it doesn't spread quickly any more than it has. With tail rot, it may need amputation if the medication is no longer effective. Hoping it gets halted ASAP !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom