URGENT: Limp and throwing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heyimbrit

Juvie Member
I made the mistake of feeding Sandy too many dubias a few days ago. I just fed her until she stopped eating. She sat under her basking light for the rest of the day and when I came home the next day her tank was COVERED with vomit. I cleaned it all up and she sat under her light all day again. I didn't think too much of it because I figured she just didn't feel good from throwing up so much. It's been 2 days later and I picked her up but she seems very weak and low on energy. She tried pooping twice and only a tiny urate came out both time. Could she be impacted? If so, what can I do for her? I can't lose her.

Heyimbrit

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I've also given her water which she lopped up like she'd never seen it before and it seemed to perk her up for a few minutes before she lost most of her energy again.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Brit, how old + how big is she ? She will probably be lethargic for a few days and then regain her appetite slowly. Hydration will help her out and just offer fewer bugs in the future ....she should be fine though. :)

If you suspect impaction, try a little bit of olive oil and or some pure canned pumpkin (sugar free). I think she may have over eaten. Take a small hand towel, cut a hole the size of her belly, hang it up and put your beardie on it, making sue her belly lays on it. Good luck!

Heyimbrit

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I didn't get around to mentioning it yet but I lost Sandy that next night. I'll be posting a thread soon about what happened.

Thank you for your suggestion though.

Aww, I'm sorry for your loss :/ I hope she passed peacefully, in no pain. I'm guessing she died from impaction. I hope you feel better soon! :)

Heyimbrit

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So pretty much what happened was...

She was always pretty healthy but she was much smaller than a normal 2-year-old beardie should be. I fed her a bunch of dubias (the colony you sent. Thanks again) and she threw them all up the next day (she ate A LOT (like at least 30-40 large)) and sat under her light for the rest of the day. I left her alone thinking she just felt a little sick from throwing up so much. The next day I took her out at night and she was almost completely limp and could barely keep her eyes open for me. I figured she could be dehydrated (again because of the vomiting) so I gave her as much water as she was willing to drink and she seemed to perk up just a little. After that she went back to being very lethargic again so I decided to take her to an emergency vet (it was already at least 11pm by now.) After a 45-minute drive to the vet and at least 2 hours of total waiting time the vet finally came in to see her and Sandy had perked up a little again (granted, it was way past her bedtime so part of her lethargy was from being sleepy) and the vet gave us some Lactulose to try to push anything else through her system. She got on me a little bit about Sandy's size and not having a thermometer in her tank (go ahead, let me hear it. I should have a thermometer, I know, I know) but complimented me for doing everything else right. During the exam she said that it felt like Sandy might've started to form some eggs so that had me a little excited. We took her home and she stayed under her light again the next day so I took her out and it was the same thing all over again. I figured I'd give her another soak and try to get some food in her. I took her to the bathroom, set her on the counter, and started to fill then sink. It was then that I looked over and saw that her head was twitching. I started to worry that she was having a small seizure until her whole body started squirming around too. I pretty much realized at that point that it was a full-blown seizure and called the vet (that's a lie. I was crying hysterically so my boyfriend called the vet) they said to bring her in. After that, I called my friend who has a lot of reptile experience and asked him what to do. He told me that my best option was to make her comfortable because chances of her surviving were very low. I spent a few more minutes with Sandy before deciding that it was too painful to watch and I couldn't let her suffer any longer. We put her in a box and drove back to the vet to do what we had to do. I handed her off and paid the bill before they cleaned her up and brought her for my final goodbyes. About 30 minutes after we left the vet called and asked permission to do a necropsy on her to find out what happened. She said that upon examination she saw a lot of blood in her mouth and wanted to know where it was coming from. I was in shock that she was willing to do that for me for free but I was more than ok with it. I got the call about what she found early the next morning.

The way she explained it to me was that Sandy was gravid but because of her size it used a lot of her energy. Because of the excess energy used, her liver began processing proteins(?) and she developed something called hepatic lipidosis or Fatty Liver Disease which pretty much means that she had fat deposits in her liver. This led to coagulopathy (inability for the blood to clot) which caused her lungs to fill with blood. The rapid blood loss caused the seizure. She assured me that there was nothing that I could've done to prevent everything happening. It was completely internal and there were no signs of any of this happening.

Sandy was dropped of at the cremation place yesterday and I should have her ashes back sometime towards the beginning of next week. I miss her dearly and wish that there was something that I could've done for her. It hurts that everything happened so fast and it's still hard to get it through my mind that she's really gone.

As for Hoss, I think he knows that she's gone because he mopes around his tank and doesn't want to eat. Now that I think about it, that's actually a usual day for him but I still think he knows somehow. He also knows that his mom is sad because when he was sitting on the dashboard a few nights ago he kept gaping at me as if to say, "Smile, mommy! It's ok!" He will be going in for a full check-up with the new vet.

I see.. She definitely ate way too much. 30-40 large dubias is an extremely large amount, as adult beardies generally eat around 50-60 crickets/dubias a week. She definitely was impacted. I'm assuming the proteins you are talking about are bile salts? More is produced when fatty liver disease comes up as it tries to break down the fats. She was probably lacking blood plasma due to fatty liver disease, as it restricts production. Blood plasma is what helps blood clot. Without it or very little of it, blood will leak from then veins, going through the pulmonary veins in your case. I'm so sorry for your loss :/

Heyimbrit

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you. She wasn't impacted though. There was nothing to impact her. All of the dubias came back up. That's what the original post was about.

Oh, I would have suggested impaction because of so many dubias consumed, even with vomiting. By the way, my older bearded dragon's name was Sandy :). I only had her for a short time because she passed of ADV, I wish you the best and try to get another beardie to help you through it!

Heyimbrit

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I have another beardie named Hoss. He is my best friend (other than my boyfriend) and he's helping me a lot. I don't think I want another for quite some time. No other beardie can replace Sandy.

Well, I never said another beardie could replace her, I just said your new one could help you :) You have my condolences, good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am very sorry for your loss of Sandy. :cry:
What a horrible way for her to go, but no way is a good way to go. I am truly sorry she suffered.
I am sure Hoss does miss her, he knows that she isn't around. I hope he can help bring comfort to you.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom