Urate or Egg??? Not sure! Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

redn3ckkittycat

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Sorry for the delayed update!!! I have been out of town for the day.

I left her in the digging box over night, and she only had two more. For a total of 28 eggs. She hasn't had anymore since I put her back in her tank @ 10am. Should I still be concerned? I haven't made her a salad, but will first thing in the morning (their lights will be off in 10-20 mins). Anything special I should look into getting her for food wise?

Thank you everyone for your help! I'm going to keep the digging box close. Plus, rearrange my room so neither of the girls can see the boy anymore.

Also, is there a reason why she laid, and my other female hasn't? I don't want either of them too, but my other female is older than the one who laid. But, she also doesn't seem to care about the male, where the one who laid is frantic about him (not always, but some). Thanks again guys.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hi there,
Isnt it just so scarey?
My "gaurenteed male" laid 23 eggs with me and I was losing my mind with worry like you!

28 eggs sounds like a good clutch size. Id imagine she is done at least for now.
Dragons can double clutch even infertile eggs. Dex laid another little batch a week later, so I would keep an eye on her.

Foodwise you need to stock her back up right away. They do deplete a huge amount of their own resources to lay.
Lots of protien and lots of calcium.
I would even spoil her with a few waxworms to get her fat stores back up.
I would advise increasing her calcium supplimentation to once a day for a week.

I would also give her a lovely long bath. She may well be dehydrated after all that laying.
I think she deserves a pampering ^_^

In terms of "why" i dont think we have found an answer yet.
Every dragon is different. Some females will lay infertiles like clockwork and some will never lay a single clutch in their lives.
Alot of it is about hormones.
For some dragons the sight of a male can trigger infertile laying.
For others they seem to sense the seasons and then lay in the spring.
Some girls are just.... ahem.... hornier that others!

I must say that a member here called Tatty has "sympathetic laying" dragons. So that when one lays eggs the other will nearly always lay infertiles with her, so I would keep an eye on your other female just in case.
Its unlikely, but dragons LOVE to suprise us.

All the best, and congrats! You made it through!

Holly

redn3ckkittycat

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Thanks for that info!!!
I am much happier now that it is over :) lol. I'm going to keep some peet moss close just incase. Today she ate about 10 or 15 big crickets. She has only eaten a few bites of her salad, but last night she was crunching on her beardie bites (the premade food stuff in little balls). I keep those in there all the time for them so they can snack lol. She seems to be doing really well, just kinda basking. I sprayed her with her water bottle, should I still give her a bath? I usually do that on tuesday or thursdays.

Thanks again guys for being so understanding!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom