upper respiratory infection / at home aid?? help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
few questions..

ive had my dragons for almost a year now, and theyve never had any health issues as far as ive seen. but my dragon, isis, is wheezing/coughing. she puffs up her beard and sort of coughs / huff&puffing. ive read up on it and posted a youtube video for advice.
http://youtu.be/78GYRTXTGxk
i even called a pet store for advice. i was told to up their temps, which i did. its only been 3 days since i raised the temps. (100-110 hot / 80-85 cool) and she was doing good, but she started doing it again this morning. i moved to Minot, North Dakota for about 3months now, and ive been calling all over to get her seen, but the nearest one is 2.5 hrs away, is there anything else i could do for her before travel? im afraid to take her now, the temps are COLD out here, i dont wanna make her even more sick... help??

also, my other dragon had an under bite. but when i got him, he never had that. i was told that its due to lack of calcium. is that true? i was told to give him powder calcium, which im starting today. is there such thing as too much calcium??

i cant tell what sex they are, but isis waves a lot, and annabelle headbobs. how can i tell FOR SURE??

i love my dragons so much, and i just want them to get better :cry:

Melody12

Hatchling Member
An underbite can be a sign of MBD.

Would you give us your tank stats to get a better idea of what you've got? Lighting, UVB, substrates.

If your babies are adults, they need calcium five days a week...

My Schedule is like this:
Monday through Thursday: Regular Calcium without D3 once a day in the morning
Friday: Calcium with D3 in the morning feeding
Saturday: Herptivite Multivitamin once in the morning
Sunday: No meds.

Babies need more calcium and multivitamins than adults. Babies need at least three times a day feedings with both salads and crickets dusted.

When Melody had a RI, I upped my temps, left her alone and she fought it off. Depending on the severity, I would take your beardeds to the vet. Here's what I'd do: Warm up a towel in the dryer and wrap them up in different towels and warm up your car before you head out. You'll need to see a vet. Also, have a fresh stool sample available if you can. They usually need one to test.

You can also talk to Tracie. (Drache613). She can advise you.

amandatyler09

Original Poster
Melody12":qqm89zer said:
An underbite can be a sign of MBD.

Would you give us your tank stats to get a better idea of what you've got? Lighting, UVB, substrates.

If your babies are adults, they need calcium five days a week...

My Schedule is like this:
Monday through Thursday: Regular Calcium without D3 once a day in the morning
Friday: Calcium with D3 in the morning feeding
Saturday: Herptivite Multivitamin once in the morning
Sunday: No meds.

Babies need more calcium and multivitamins than adults. Babies need at least three times a day feedings with both salads and crickets dusted.

When Melody had a RI, I upped my temps, left her alone and she fought it off. Depending on the severity, I would take your beardeds to the vet. Here's what I'd do: Warm up a towel in the dryer and wrap them up in different towels and warm up your car before you head out. You'll need to see a vet. Also, have a fresh stool sample available if you can. They usually need one to test.

You can also talk to Tracie. (Drache613). She can advise you.

i have a 40 gal tank. but i have 2 dragons in there. i have a zilla reflector/zilla bulb 150 watt for day .. and a zilla reflector // zilla black light 50watt for night. i also use the calcium sand. but removed it today after reading sand and tank furntuire harbor bacteria and its a good idea to remove everything when theyre sick.... the pet store i went to said i should try "baytril oral suspension 5mg/ml". because the vet told them to use that on the store dragons. i read up on it, but i think im gonna ask the vet before buying it. i dont wanna give my dragons meds without asking a vet.

What temperature does the tank get to at night?
Make sure the tank is 80-85 degrees at night too, this really helps. You can also remove any water bowls that are raising the humidity in the air. Wrap her up in a towel at night and place her in the warmest part of the tank. If you do travel, make sure she stays REALLY warm :)

Yes, if it indeed a respiratory infection I believe that Baytril will help them fight it, although it can be very hard on their system to recover in the following weeks.

This is kinda going off topic, but I have read (I think) that any sort of light will disturb their sleep. It would be best to purchase a ceramic heat emitter.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The Baytril 5% is fine, it is a commonly used medication for respiratory infections. If you can get some, you can go ahead & get it to use for her.
I can help dose it also, if you need.
Also, the Zilla T-50 light, is it a tube or coil/compact light? I would turn that UVB light off as they emit improper wavelength for UVB & can cause eye & health issues. You will need to get the Reptisun 10 tube bulb for UVB instead it is a much better quality of UVB emission.
As suggested, a ceramic heat emitter would be better to use for nighttime heating so it doesn't disturb his sleeping.

Be sure to change out the loose substrate also as the dust can contribute to respiratory issues, as well.

Tracie

amandatyler09

Original Poster
kittenmaster1234":3j2e1a9c said:
What temperature does the tank get to at night?
Make sure the tank is 80-85 degrees at night too, this really helps. You can also remove any water bowls that are raising the humidity in the air. Wrap her up in a towel at night and place her in the warmest part of the tank. If you do travel, make sure she stays REALLY warm :)

Yes, if it indeed a respiratory infection I believe that Baytril will help them fight it, although it can be very hard on their system to recover in the following weeks.

This is kinda going off topic, but I have read (I think) that any sort of light will disturb their sleep. It would be best to purchase a ceramic heat emitter.

the temp at night stays at 80-84. i removed the water bowls last night as well as the sand. im going to get the baytril asap! also im going to be getting new lights, i didnt know that a black light was bad :/ i love my baby and i want her to be better :'(

amandatyler09

Original Poster
Drache613":1uhct45y said:
Hello,

The Baytril 5% is fine, it is a commonly used medication for respiratory infections. If you can get some, you can go ahead & get it to use for her.
I can help dose it also, if you need.
Also, the Zilla T-50 light, is it a tube or coil/compact light? I would turn that UVB light off as they emit improper wavelength for UVB & can cause eye & health issues. You will need to get the Reptisun 10 tube bulb for UVB instead it is a much better quality of UVB emission.
As suggested, a ceramic heat emitter would be better to use for nighttime heating so it doesn't disturb his sleeping.

Be sure to change out the loose substrate also as the dust can contribute to respiratory issues, as well.

Tracie

thank you so much!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

You are welcome. How is he doing today, any improvements?
Let me know when you get the Baytril & I can help with dosing it. Do you have probiotics such as non dairy soy yogurt or acidophiliz?

Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

amandatyler09

Original Poster
hi there!
i just wanted everyone to know that both my dragons, had sores in their mouths, and gi issues. they went to the vet and got some shots. i was sent home with needles and have to give them meds for a week, but they are on the road to recovering! thanks for all the help!!

-Amanda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom