Upper age limit for breeding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
So my little boy is getting up there in years, as my signature states he's 8, 9 sometime this spring. I would really love to have a baby of his so I can still have that bit of him once he passes but I'm a bit concerned he's to old. I can't breed them right away as my own little bundle is expected shortly (finally!) and I just won't have the time for a brood of baby dragons for a while, so he'll definitely be 9 by the time we get to it. Is there an upper age limit for breeding males? Will his advanced age effect the health of the babies? And it's probably silly, but can mating at his age hurt him? I know he still has the drive because he goes insane when the girls are in the same room, but could he have a heart attack or something (lol)?

And yes, I know all the expense and time investment that comes along with breeding, believe me, I'm usually the one telling people to think long and hard about it! I'm only planning on letting one clutch live, and I do have homes for most of them. Gibby's German Giant x Sandfire and Dora's Snowflake x Citrus, so I'm hoping for some big pale yellowy gorgeous kids.

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Bumping it up, I need to stop posting in the middle of the night!

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks. :) There has to be someone out there who has an answer for this, I really don't want to hurt him or the hatchlings.

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Honestly as long as he is in good health his age shouldnt matter with the exception of possibly not being as fertile as before.He wont have a heart attack or anything like that.I would be concerned if the female was that old but as with most species males tend to be able to reproduce with ease well into "old age".

peera

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you Vicky. :) I figured as much, but I really wanted to hear it from other people, and all the info I could find was the lower age limit, which I knew both of them are well over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivannam17
Top Bottom