Update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lord Nefarian fought hard and showed quite a bit of improvement over the weeks. It, unfortunately, wasn't enough and he passed today. Crawled away from his light and just went. I've been afraid every day to come home and see that he hadn't made it but he was always there. I think maybe there was something bigger than just malnutrition wrong with him. Especially since he'd been eating so regularly while I've had him.

Thanks to those who helped and were fighting with him to pull through.

Original post:

So I just inherited a beardie from a friend of mine who is frequently touted as "the animal guru".

Animal guru severely underfed the poor girl.
Once per week or less, underfed.
81823-6999326269.jpg
This was day one. Very much sadness.

ANYWAY.
I've been keeping her warm and fed but she's been very listless since I've had her. She'll actually only eat if I open her mouth and put a superworm in there. Or, she would; she moved today to catch one on her own. Fairly motionless since.

I'm going to keep offering plenty of food and keeping her warm like I have been but I'm super worried and curious as to how long I should wait to see if she improves before seeking professional help. My two year old is already attached to her so I'd like to be able to keep her and get her healthy before resorting to finding someone more experienced to take her.

UPDATE: I came home from work today and found Athena in her water dish. She definitely moved during the day and appears to have had some water on her own. I left a few very very small leaves near her mouth before I left this morning. Some were missing. I also gave her two bites of veggies by hand. She's moving more today as well so I'm pretty optimistic.

UPDATE 2: Guru sexed the dragon wrong. Is male! He's officially called Lord Nefarian. It's been a whopping three days and his Lordship now looks like this:
81823-139062461.jpg
This is a very full belly. He even raised up enough to walk instead of just sort of scoot. I'm so happy.

81823-1413758919.jpg
Still fighting food but fighting harder so he's stronger. Also more responsive to movement. AND HE POOPED! The first time in a week. I've never been happier to wake up to a disgusting mess.
81823-8890229170.jpg
Look how alert!

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
If she's severely underweight, go careful with the protein - too much protein in any creature with malnutrition can cause shock, and potentially shut down vital organs.

You may want to nip to your vet and grab some Oxbow small herbivore mix - fine ground if you can get it, but no worries if not. It's great when you add calcium and any meds, and feeds well through a large syringe for licking.

I've fully recovered two horrendously underweight dragons using Oxbow for two weeks, permanent night/day heating for four weeks, and slowly shifting back to proper meals - poor Jacques was literally bones and violence when he arrived. You'd never know he was the same lizard these days, though there were some hairy moments where we weren't sure if he'd make it.

Sickloveletter

Original Poster
TheDragonKeepers":2bnt9t0y said:
If she's severely underweight, go careful with the protein - too much protein in any creature with malnutrition can cause shock, and potentially shut down vital organs.

You may want to nip to your vet and grab some Oxbow small herbivore mix - fine ground if you can get it, but no worries if not. It's great when you add calcium and any meds, and feeds well through a large syringe for licking.

I've fully recovered two horrendously underweight dragons using Oxbow for two weeks, permanent night/day heating for four weeks, and slowly shifting back to proper meals - poor Jacques was literally bones and violence when he arrived. You'd never know he was the same lizard these days, though there were some hairy moments where we weren't sure if he'd make it.

I'll make sure to cut back on the live things and opt for veggies then. He didn't really tell me anything about her except that she can eat crawlies and veggies - with her diet being kale and carrots when he did feed her. I did give her kale (I was thinking it was best to stick to what she knew while I'm trying to get her back up) earlier and she ate one small bite.
I did go by the pet store near my house because I know a couple of the girls there have beardies and they reccommended some pellets for her. I got them but haven't opened the jar yet. Would those be a bad idea as well? I don't even know what brand or anything but if I remember right, it's a protein type thing. I'll have to get it out of my car..

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
What country are you in?
Spring greens (UK) or Collard greens (US) are one of the best staples - kale is a bit high in oxylates. Dandelion leaf is also pretty darned awesome (watch out for any pesticide/herbicide/pollutants though).

I can't sing the praises of Oxbow herbivore enough - it's an essential part of my emergency kit, because it's such a supportive and gentle mix.

Pellets make a nice addition to a mixed meal, though I've not met many dragons that like 'em. Could be my gang are picky though!

If you're in the US, NatureZone do an awesome ready-mix food, Beardie Bites.
In the UK, it's either Repashy or Reptizone (I'll check tomorrow) that do a great one that comes powdered. You add hot water, stir, then fridge - it goes gelatinous. That goes down quite well too.

SDragon

Juvie Member
Well done for taking her on, I hope she starts to turn around. I agree that it's best to build her back up to a normal diet.

Have you been hydrating her?

How are you keeping her warm? Does she have lighting?

Sickloveletter

Original Poster
SDragon":1zvcw1wm said:
Well done for taking her on, I hope she starts to turn around. I agree that it's best to build her back up to a normal diet.

Have you been hydrating her?

How are you keeping her warm? Does she have lighting?

I'll be honest, I'm entirely illequiped to have her. I don't have a tank or lights or anything. She's in a heated box and she gets tons of sun. She came from a house with no electricity or water so as bad as it is, it's half a step up from where she was.
So far, the only way I can get water into her is to wet my fingers and rub them on her. She'll open up a little when I do that but she closes her eyes immediately and is done after a second or two of it.

SDragon

Juvie Member
Oh wow

Ok, do you have a shower? If you put her under that as a luke warm gentle spray she might lap that up or put her in a tub of water she may also drink. Can you get a plastic syringe, dripping water on her nose may also work (I'd try the shower or bath first off just so she can drink as much as she likes, then use the syringe daily after a couple of days of the shower.

It's good she is getting natural sunlight that will provide her UVB if you have the time and climate to do that daily for a good amount of time, that will buy you some time on getting a uv light.

She also needs a basking light so she can properly warm up and digest food. Is that something you will be able to get (along with a UVB light at some stage). How is the heated box set up? Do you have any idea how warm it it?

Sometimes places like Craigslist have good value vivariums or tanks.

Can you post a picture of her?

Sickloveletter

Original Poster
SDragon":2kyuksqc said:
Oh wow

Ok, do you have a shower? If you put her under that as a luke warm gentle spray she might lap that up or put her in a tub of water she may also drink. Can you get a plastic syringe, dripping water on her nose may also work (I'd try the shower or bath first off just so she can drink as much as she likes, then use the syringe daily after a couple of days of the shower.

It's good she is getting natural sunlight that will provide her UVB if you have the time and climate to do that daily for a good amount of time, that will buy you some time on getting a uv light.

She also needs a basking light so she can properly warm up and digest food. Is that something you will be able to get (along with a UVB light at some stage). How is the heated box set up? Do you have any idea how warm it it?

Sometimes places like Craigslist have good value vivariums or tanks.

Can you post a picture of her?

I tried putting her in a little bath but she just slept in it. :(

I'm calling around and trying to get stuff together for her right now. She's living in pretty much a closet with a heater that gets up to 90F. I've got a separate thermometer that shows she's been sitting in about 87F. Even in a hot car on the way to the park, she didn't perk up so I knew she wasn't just cold. I was going to cuddle with her tonight so she was at body temp at least but I don't want to squish her.
I picked her up late last night so she's only been with me for a day. He had a juvenile as well (who did perk up when warmed) but someone else took him.
I got home early today and had her outside for about 6 hours before the sun went down. I know it isn't ideal but I'm doing pretty much everything I can with what little I have.

I feel like I'm confessing to the worst pet ownership ever right now.

SDragon

Juvie Member
It sounds like you are doing your best and shouldn't feel bad. If you can't get the things you need asap it might be best to see if there is a rescue centre that has the equipment to give her a chance. But if you can you should give it a go. Be prepared though she may need a vet, are you able to put up a picture so peopel can get an idea of her condition?

What is the temperature where you are if she is spending that much time outside? Do you have a shower to try or a water dropper?

If she has the heated box don't worry about sleeping with her, I think she would be best left alone.

Sickloveletter

Original Poster
SDragon":8tmgfd8v said:
It sounds like you are doing your best and shouldn't feel bad. If you can't get the things you need asap it might be best to see if there is a rescue centre that has the equipment to give her a chance. But if you can you should give it a go. Be prepared though she may need a vet, are you able to put up a picture so peopel can get an idea of her condition?

What is the temperature where you are if she is spending that much time outside? Do you have a shower to try or a water dropper?

If she has the heated box don't worry about sleeping with her, I think she would be best left alone.

I've got an appointment set up tomorrow to pick up a small tank and a light. It won't be much room for her but it'll get her started until I can find something more appropriate when she gets better.
Today was 85F.

I sat her in my passenger seat on the way to the park with the window down so she was in the actual sun and pretty toasty. I remember reading a long time ago that windows are pretty much like sunglasses so I Made sure she was directly in the light.

Also, I'm not sure how to ad a picture so I can't put one up. :/ I'll look into it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh my, that is one of the most emaciated dragons I've ever seen. Poor, poor thing. She is really just days from dying. Hope for the best [ and give it a try, don't give up ! ] but be prepared for the worst. The other posters are correct in that she needs only hydration and very soft, easy to digest food like the Omnivore Care or Critical Care by Oxbow [ or baby food chicken + green beans or smoothie made from greens ] and water via syringe. You might try feeding her crickets that have the head + legs removed and feeding her only the soft abdomen, but just 1-2 at a time at first to be sure her system can handle it. Hopefully she has the strength to pull through. It's so nice of you to care for this horribly neglected little dragon.

Sickloveletter

Original Poster
AHBD":1jgud1pj said:
Oh my, that is one of the most emaciated dragons I've ever seen. Poor, poor thing. She is really just days from dying. Hope for the best [ and give it a try, don't give up ! ] but be prepared for the worst. The other posters are correct in that she needs only hydration and very soft, easy to digest food like the Omnivore Care or Critical Care by Oxbow [ or baby food chicken + green beans or smoothie made from greens ] and water via syringe. You might try feeding her crickets that have the head + legs removed and feeding her only the soft abdomen, but just 1-2 at a time at first to be sure her system can handle it. Hopefully she has the strength to pull through. It's so nice of you to care for this horribly neglected little dragon.

You mean baby food that's got chicken and green beans in it? I can give her that. I have a dropper from last year when I came across a baby bird whose mom had been torn apart by the neighbor's cat.
I really don't want to have a tiny funeral.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OH I am so sorry Athena is in such terrible condition, it is not your fault. You have a heart of gold to take her in & give her a chance.
I totally agree, go extremely easy on the protein, very very small amounts. The chicken & green bean baby food that you have would be fine. Water it down if needed, then add a small bit of calcium powder if you have any or crushed up tums. Using the dropper that you have will work great, hopefully she will lick some food from it. She desperately needs fluids though, so that is your priority for her. The pellets, are they hard or soft & what are the ingredients? You could soak them in water to soften them up to blend up in the mixture for more nutrition only if they are not real high in protein.
Please let us know how she is doing. Keep her around 80 over night to help boost her immune system.

Tracie

SDragon

Juvie Member
Oh dear, she really has been left to get into a horrible conditon. Well done for taking her please do prepare yourself for the worst, it's tough to know what state her organs will be in. The alleged animal guru is either a ****ing ***** or indescribably cruel, I hope he has no more animals in his care.

Keep trying to get her to drink. Can you get some critical care formula, if not make sure the baby food is additive free and doesn't include any form of additional flavouring like onion etc. if you can, add a pinch of pure calcium amd dilute it, she desperately needs hydration.

You are right that glass filters out UVB so it needs to be direct, she doesn't need as much as 6 hours so don't worry of you can't provide that, also if she seems unhappy take her inside. It's important to make sure she doesn't overheat.

How big is the tank? Will it have a basking light? If so it's important to make sure you have a digital thermometer, small tanks can overheat and that could be as bad for her. If it's too small a wooden box or deep drawer could probably be used as a makeshift home with basking lamp held in a clamp. Can she move at all, again of not its important to make sure she doesn't get to hot or cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom