Update: Sad news

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
At the second vet visit, we were told she was more confident than ever it was an R.I. The black beard still comes and goes. She started refusing baby food a couple of days ago so I have had to be creative in giving her the Baytril (we are on 7 consecutive days now). She has lost a little bit of weight but is still basking and will chase worms. Today I put the vitamins on a collard leaf then rolled it around a worm to get her to eat it, and then as she was chewing I ever so sneakily slipped the syringe in the side of her mouth.

I think I'm seeing less mucous in her mouth... but this could still go either way. She's a trooper though.

Since she only seems interested in worms now, I figure I should upgrade to one with better nutritional value, but the local store only has supers these days. Does anyone know a good place online to order quality worms, silks or phoenix?

Also, I have to say the CHE was definitely worth the $40 (if I didn't need it so soon I'm sure I could have gotten it cheaper online but anyway). It's nice to not have to worry about the temps at night; it doesn't make any sound or put out any light. Once she's better I may keep it going, just back it up a little for less heat.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Linda's Gone Buggie is a good online source for several worms. She may have an ad on this forum in the For Sale section. Good luck! I hope your little one improves.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hopefully she'll do better after a treatment of Baytril....you have a good strategy for getting the meds. into her and it seems like she's tolerating it pretty well. Keep up the good work, and give Anastasia a pat on the head for me. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great Anastasia is improving, what a little spirited dragon she is!
At least she still has an appetite & is basking so that is a great sign! I am glad her beard isn't black all of the time though.
Yes, you definitely have to get sneaky getting the meds into them sometimes! LOL I guess she was unsuspecting then while chewing. So she had a collard worm roll, with meds for desert. :D
I hope she is feeling better soon!

Tracie

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
After five vet visits, 3 different antibiotics, x-rays, and lots of worrying... it has been determined that Anastasia has cancer/liver failure.

I noticed that the top of her head looked gaunt while her tummy was getting larger. It also didn't make sense that she was gaining weight with how little food I've been able to get in her. The vet drained loads of fluid from her today. She isn't gasping for breath so much now but she's so skinny. She doesn't want to eat on her own, not even worms without great coaxing. She just sits on the warm side of her viv till she turns pale with a black beard and tail until I move her. She still would drink a tub of water if I let her. She seems to get some comfort from me holding her in a blankie and talking to her.

The vet said we should consider euthanasia. Now I get to make the worst decision a pet owner can make... do I give her more time? To let her possibly experience a little more enjoyment in life and possibly go quick naturally? Or do I end her struggling before she gets sicker and is filled with fluid again?

I know no one can answer that for me. I just love her so. :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh I am so sorry about Anastasia's condition. :cry:
You are right, this is the hardest part to consider. Is her beard black like she is in pain?
Did he mention how long he felt she had? Did you ever try milk thistle for help with the liver function?
Does she like eating food from a syringe or dropper? You could try doing that, to see if she would take any off of the syringe to get some food into her.
If she is suffering then sometimes it is best to euthanize them. She may find comfort in being with you in her final hours also. There is a lot to be said about comfort, when you are there with them, just to be with them.

I wish that there was something more that we could do here for you. I will be thinking about you & your girl.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, I'm so sad to hear about this ! :( I know that you cherish that little one....it really does sadden me, I was hoping for a good outcome. As Tracie mentioned, milk thistle is good for the liver, and if she would maybe take a greens smoothie, dandelion is good for the liver. Did the vet say it was either/or cancer or liver disease ? I wish the best for you, and I'm so sorry that you have this decision to make. If she gets to the point of looking like constantly in pain, you will make the decision that is right for her. Maybe, though, she has a little time left. My heart goes out to you.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please do keep us updated on her, she is so lucky to have you with her. I know that she is grateful for your care & years with her, too. What a sweet girl she is.
We are all thinking about you & Anastasia.

Tracie

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you for the kind words.

The vet said she highly suspected cancer but to confirm it was of the liver she would have to do exploratory surgery that she was sure Anastasia wouldn't make it through. Believe me, I would plant my own dandelions, I would buy any medicine, I would spend hours each day hand-feeding and bathing her... if there was any way to keep her happy and healthy.

But she wasn't happy and keeping her here any longer would be purely selfish. She could hardly move around. She would "get stuck" in a corner, hit her nose on the glass a few times and just lie down. So I would turn her. She would get too hot in her basking spot and turn bright white. So I would move her to the cool side. She would try to climb a low log and flip over on her back. So I put her upright and put blankies to form a ramp. She couldn't breathe well without an incline. So I held her at an incline. She wouldn't eat. So I force fed her and she still lost loads of weight.

And all the while a black beard. She had no freedom or happiness. It's one thing to do everything for a pet till they get better. It's another to keep them alive when they don't want to be. When the doctor said she would only get worse and didn't have much time left anyway, I agonized over the thought of euthanasia for a few days. I didn't want her last few weeks to be more needles pulling fluid out and more forcing food in. She was too sweet and precious to deserve that.

I researched bearded dragon euthanasia extensively last night. If anyone is curious, veins are too hard to find for the standard dog/cat procedure and practices like freezing are outdated and inhumane. I snuggled her all morning and had a talk with her about the Rainbow Bridge and told her to look for Dally. The vet took her to another room. I have always stayed with my pets (and other people's) when it came to this time, but I've heard that reptiles will sometimes fight, especially if she could see me. I didn't want her to feel betrayed as her last thoughts and I didn't want my last image of her to be that. She was put in a gas chamber where she went to sleep quickly as she was so weak. Once they were sure she was out (reptiles sometimes hold their breath), she was injected with an overdose of chemicals. Because the brain can stay active up to an hour after everything else dies, I asked her to confirm brain death with doppler and use pithing if she had to. I just didn't want my little girl to suffer. Fortunately, Anastasia seemed "ready" and went quickly and peacefully with no issues.

The vet was great as I discussed all my concerns and said she would do the same thing in my position. They wrapped her up in her blankie with the monogram facing up in the center. (Don't know if blondie098/Dawn still frequents these forums, but she is the one who stitched the blankie for me.) We paid $30 (not sure if that's typical or if it was cheaper because I was bawling like a baby) and brought her home. We found a nice spot in the backyard for her. I may plant some flowers around the area.

I don't want to think of her thin and listless. I want to remember her in happy times.
Bath time with a creamy white beard:
100_2738_zps4ec749d7.jpg

An old favorite, attacking the silkworm:
anastasia_zps87c04ded.jpg

The crew many years ago. They all had separate vivs where they couldn't see each other to avoid aggression, but at lights out I would let them out and they would snuggle together so sweetly. From left to right: Daliz (Feb '13), Anastasia (Sept. '14), Harlee (also nine years old, she better stay healthy!), Ozymandias (Nov '13). It's been a rough couple of years.
100_2993_zps86c30367.jpg

When I got Anastasia, I wasn't sure if she'd make it another week. But through abuse, being fed mice and carried by the tail, living in a cage with cobwebs, bugs, and bad lighting, having MBD, arthritis, and cancer... Anastasia not only lived, she remained kind and gentle. No one would blame her for not trusting humans or giving us a bite or a tail thrash when getting an injection, but she never did. I feel fortunate to have had her in my life. She may be "just a lizard" to some people, but to me she represents what I should strive to be- always kind to others in the face of adversity, and ever strong. She was loved dearly and is already greatly missed.

Apologies for the long post, but I needed to get this out. And I hope that this will help anyone else who is in a similar situation. They are incredibly resilient creatures and can recover from most things so let euthanasia be a last option, never to save yourself trouble, but to save them from suffering. Good reptile vets are hard to find, but they are out there, and the knowledge from the people on this site has been invaluable (thank you). Also, go give your beardie/cat/dog/whatever a big hug because you never know when you'll lose them.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I am SO very sorry that you had to make this decision but it sounds like the right one for Anastasia. You're right, she had lost her quality of life and it was time to let her go so she wasn't suffering anymore. She is now at peace and running around free of all discomfort.

Your vet sounds wonderful. What you explained about the whole euthanasia process is exactly what our vet did for Sabrina. I did stay with her & the whole process took about 45 minutes. She just went to sleep too but the hardest part for me, was seeing her get the injection even though I knew she was already gone. But when we brought her home and were about to bury her, her coloring was the brightest yellows I had seen in a very long time, I knew she was at peace.

My thoughts are with you. You loved her very much & she loved you right back. ((((((((((hugs))))))))))

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm so sorry that you lost your girl....it sounds like she found the best home possible and was a wonderful little creature. I agree that you did the right thing at the right time. Losing our pets is so difficult....my heart goes out to you. You are definitely an excellent + conscientious pet owner. I feel for your heartbreak. :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry you lost your Anastasia. :cry: She was lucky to have you in her life, she had a great life & was very happy for a long time. It sounds like you made the right decision, since she was suffering & her quality of life had diminished.
It is very hard going through such heartbreak & it takes so long to move on, too. She is off scampering around chasing bugs right now.
We are all here for you during this time.

XO,
Tracie

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
I am so sorry you had to put your little beardie to sleep, I know all to well having to try your best, but in the end you had to make a choice on their well being. Big hugs to you and your family

luigismom

I am so sorry about the loss of your Anastasia dolce. I just read through the thread and I am bawling like a baby. The tremendous love you had for her was obvious in your writing and you had given her many wonderful years of life. I can only imagine how heart wrenching the decision to let her go was, but it was for the best. ((Hugs!!))

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hugs back to you all. It's been absolutely heartbreaking. Things like seeing her food in the fridge, her medicine on the counter, and passing by her empty viv keep bringing the sorrow tumbling back over me. I spent a couple of hours today taking down the lights and cleaning everything. Tomorrow with some help I should be able to swap the tables around and move Harlee to Stasia's old viv since it's a bit nicer. I'm making sure to give Harls lots of love. She's a very highstrung beardie and I imagine she senses things have changed. I'll admit it's hard though... it would honestly be easier to throw some food in and ignore her every day. But that's not fair. It's just... looking at her I miss Anastasia more... and I fear for her health. Harlee was actually the first of four beardies and the only one still around. I hope she stays healthy and happy a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclubhomes1
Top Bottom