Update: Sad news

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Today she had a bit of the non-dairy soy yogurt you recommended, but didn't have interest in food otherwise so we skipped a Baytril dose as not to stress her. Her black beard was back and blacker than ever today. So I had her bask a while to digest, then let her snuggle on the heating pad. I had a towel over it as suggested and kept a close watch on the temperature. There was more gulping today. They seem to get better/worse so quickly. I hope tomorrow is better.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am sorry her black beard was back again. I hope she sleeps well on the heating pad.
Did she bask some though?
Did she like the soy yogurt then? That is too bad she didn't eat anything today, poor girl. Skipping the Baytril is fine, it can upset the tummy quite a bit.
Is she breathing normally or does it seem labored or uneven?

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Drache613":1yljzkg1 said:
Hello,

Oh no, I am sorry her black beard was back again. I hope she sleeps well on the heating pad.
Did she bask some though?
Did she like the soy yogurt then? That is too bad she didn't eat anything today, poor girl. Skipping the Baytril is fine, it can upset the tummy quite a bit.
Is she breathing normally or does it seem labored or uneven?

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie
She did bask some, yes. She had a little bit of the yogurt today and drank some water out of a dish with my help (I made sure her nostrils didn't go under). Her breathing doesn't seem labored today and she seemed to want to sleep a little more than usual so I skipped the Baytril again. I've just been keeping her warm and giving her TLC. Occasionally, she will do the gulping thing a little bit and she still likes her head propped up on a log/pillow/rock/whatever for comfort. Her colors seemed a little better today, but they are so hard to read sometimes. Idaho just had a heat wave pass through and now it's cooler, even with A/C and their lights I think they can sense it, my other beardie was lazier today, too.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm glad that she is doing a little better, or at least seems comfortable. :) Hopefully she will be O.K and this is just a phase that she'll get through. If she would become noticeably worse with her breathing for several days or a week, you might start the Baytril, but if you do it will work best if you keep her on it for the entire recommended dose. It doesn't seem like she really needs it ATM, but you have it on hand if she ever really looks like it's a full blown R.I.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It sounds like she is feeling a bit better! I agree, I think right now she doesn't need the Baytril but at least you have some just in case.
That's great she has had some yogurt & some water also. I hope that she will eat some solid foods soon. I am pulling for her, let us know how she is doing.
The weather can definitely affect them also!

Tracie

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I am happy to report it looks like Anastasia has pulled through whatever it was! I tried Superworms today and she ate them without any trouble so I think we're finally done with the baby food. She has been basking on her own and I have seen zero black beard, thrashing, or other signs of distress today or yesterday. She was more active today, too, more like herself. :blob5: I had asked some vitamin questions in my OP; today I bought Rep-Cal Herptavite after hearing good things so I hope that will work out. Let's hope the grand duchess can stay with us for a while longer. :love5:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is terrific Anastasia is doing so much better now! :D That's great she improved that much.
That is wonderful she ate superworms on her own so now you wont have to give baby food now.
At least she is basking normally too. I am happy that her black beard is gone now also!
The Herptivite vitamins should help out alot for her.
Please keep us posted on your girl! :love5:

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's great news ! I'm so happy to hear it.....hope that Anastasia continues to stay well ! :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Feel free to update us on your thread, so we can hear how she is doing! :D

Tracie

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I've been up all night worrying about my little girl. She seemed fine until yesterday afternoon. We noticed she hadn't touched her collard greens and was just sitting on her basking log, so I moved her over to her dish. She acted like she wanted to eat but wouldn't and started black bearding and gaping. I took her out and attempted to comfort her on the heating pad. Every few minutes she would yank her head up and open her mouth wide... almost like a strong hiccup. Whenever I tried to leave her to do anything she would crawl off the heating pad towards me, so I just held her till she fell asleep, and then put her back in the viv. It was so awful to watch. I felt so helpless. I've been checking on her all night.

Everything I had read about respiratory infections had me expecting heavy breathing or clicking sounds and that hadn't happened at all... with the exception of last night... I did see her sides move in and out when she did her head up/gape thing. Maybe her jerking/gaping is her struggling to breathe and I should have never stopped the Baytril. I'm feeling guilty and confused. :(

The current plan is to get her to the vet first thing Monday for an x-ray. Until then, make sure she stays warm and buy some more baby food and yogurt, start up the Baytril again, and pray. If anyone has any thoughts or has seen a beardie behave this way, please let me know.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm sorry that she seems ill again ! :( Getting X-rays will be a good idea. URI's can present in different ways, so she may or may not actually have one. One thing to keep in mind is that she is old in beardie years, and just like with people, different ailments may come + go as they begin to decline. It's really a guess until you get confirmation from the vet....but then again, this could be just another strange phase she's going through. She may pull out of this one as well, but her age does come into play. Keep her comfortable and see what the vet says....and be sure the heat pad is on low. Even when a reptile has an R.I you only need to increase the heat just slightly, otherwise it can cause even more difficulty breathing. And please don't feel guilty, she seemed to rally with some strength + improved breathing, you really weren't sure what it was and she reacted badly at the time to the Baytril. I hope Anastasia will get through this !

dolcedragon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks AHBD. I really hope she pulls through, too.
I did have the heating pad on low with towels around it and frequent temp checking. Today I bought a CHE. I read some reviews and went with the ZooMed brand. Fortunately, my Significant Other discovered that CHE bulbs require a different hood cage thingy so we bought that as well. We put it on a timer for nighttime and temp gun checked it repeatedly for a couple hours- it seems to be about 80 degrees where she is sleeping.

I had her out on a towel and the second I peeled the cover off the baby food squash, she came running over and tried to nosedive into it. I was happy to see she has an appetite... but is sadly just having issues with solid foods. There was a bit more of the "hiccuping thing" today, but I'm not freaking out as badly (I actually got some sleep!) and she didn't seem as distressed as last night.

I know she is an old girl, but I love her so. She's a fantastic companion and has been through so much. (You can read my posts in the thread called "My Anastasia" in the Beardie Rescue forum from 2009 if you're curious.)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
A nose dive for the baby food, lol, that's a good sign ! :) Hopefully she's going to be O.K., at east for her remaining life she has left. Not saying she has reached her limit, and I know you do love the cutie pie !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh geez, I am sorry to hear about Anastasia. I really hope that she pulls through all of this & that it is just a phase for her.
Is he beard black right now showing discomfort?
Try to keep her comfortable until you can get her to the vets. Keep us posted on her.
I hope she is feeling better soon.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom