UP is not dragon freindly :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandyj

I recently came back to this site after my son re-located to our area (U.P.Michigan) and I inherited one puppy, lots of boxes, and Rocco, our 10 year old dragon. Rocco made the trip just fine..seems to be thriving, but since I last wrote we've occured one obstacle after another.

I got a good link for mail order crickets, but then found out that they won't ship up here until May. Okay. We'll make salad instead. Nope. The best I can do is pea pods, zuchinni, kale, and sweet potatoes. Not bad, but obviously not a daily diet.

Then we found a dehydraded mix that contains collards, turnips, carrots, etc. and were wondering if that would be good enough until I go down state next week and get "real" vegetables?

Also, looking to the spring (after 18" of snow yesterday) are collard/turnip greens easy to grow? They would have to be in containers as we live in a forest area and have lots of deer friends and other critters who would partake of tasty things like that.

kimbasmom

Juvie Member
Collard Greens and turnips are both cold hardy and really easy to grow in containers. I have a upcycled tidy cat bucket on my deck where I grow collard greens for my beardies. If you are familiar with cold frames (a window on a wooden frame to make a green house), I bet you could probably even try to grow them outside this time of year up there.

Our Walmart has bags of turnip greens/collard greens in the produce aisle. And also frozen ones too in frozen foods.

Might want to check with Linda's Gone Buggie or other sites about having bugs shipped up there. I had crickets overnighted in last winter, which was really bad, and had no problems at all.

Good luck. I know I can't wait to get back out into the garden to plant for my beardies (and me!). This time of year can be tough.

Chirple

Hatchling Member
I would check with Linda's Gone Buggie, too. Their package arrived to me nicely insulated. :)

I am in the LP, do you guys have extended mailing times up there or could Priority Mail / Overnight still get to you in time ? I get my roaches from Dubi Deli in CA and they still have no problem getting here well (I get to pick my second batch of them up from the post office in a few hours ! :D ).

kimbasmom

Juvie Member
Chirple":1rm1t5zb said:
I would check with Linda's Gone Buggie, too. Their package arrived to me nicely insulated. :)

I am in the LP, do you guys have extended mailing times up there or could Priority Mail / Overnight still get to you in time ? I get my roaches from Dubi Deli in CA and they still have no problem getting here well (I get to pick my second batch of them up from the post office in a few hours ! :D ).

I was wondering that too...because I'm thinking I'd have no problems shipping to someone in the UP from where I'm at. I'd be more worried about a trip to one of the coasts. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom