Unusual substrate idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandyBear

Heard the strangest thing the other night on my FB group. Apparently people are using bird seed as substrate in their bearded dragon cages now. Apparently this idea came from Uromastyx keepers and has been transferred to beardie tanks now.

Apparently Millet is the *best* to use, but I've seen all types of seeds being used.

I'm not even sure if this is safe for them to use. I know that Uro's or at least some species eat seeds, but I'm not sure about Beardies.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, as I am not a fan of particulate substrate for my lizards. I know I won't be using this, but would like some in put if this is totally unacceptable or if this is on the "ok" list of substrates. I don't want people to be promoting this if it's frowned upon or unsafe.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I too use birdseed for my Uro, but for my dragons, I guess you could say their is a double standard. They are housed on tile and I wouldn't think about housing them on birdseed.

I could try to rationalize it, but if i'm honest, they are some pretty lame excuses lol.

I wouldn't say it's "unacceptable", but I still will follow and recommend the safest/healthiest advice of non-particulate substrates being the best.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Bird seed is already a recommended food item to feed Uros (unlike dragons).
Uros, unlike dragons, are actually usually found in sandy areas, and not just hard compact clay. They like to be able to dig and burrow.

They need to have a hide, and this hide has to have a very low ceiling. In order for a Uro to feel safe, he/she should be able to feel his/her back pushed up against the cave of his/her hide. With bird seed, I am able to push her already shallow cave into the substrate. It sits so low down that the opening isn't even large enough to fit through, she digs into it to feel secure. A dragon doesn't need this.

Not that I have tried anything else with Calcifer, but she seems to like living on the bird seed. Especially when she gets hungry and decides its time for a snack. I will often hear her eating the seeds as she is hidden in her cave.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom