Unusual gaping behaviors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
Hey. Do any of your dragons gape when they are NOT warm or hot? Heli is such a character! He will gape if he is on my chest being petted and settles down. He can be cool as a cucumber, then look at me, and SMILE. I swear he does it when he is happy, not just thermo-whatever that is.

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Nobody? Nobodys gapes when being held and totally relaxed even when way cool? Mines unusual?

Elyak84

Yeah mine does it all the time. Sound like you have a perfectly healthy dragon. They gape to thermoregulate. I am roughly the same temp as the hot end 88f (using temp gun) so you can see why there hot when they lay on us
If there is any mucus around there nose or they are gulping alot and it makes a crackling sound(will have a bulging beard also) it could be a respiratory problem . Probelly from being too cold , check ur night temps don't go below 65-70.

wolfysluv

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ah i see. Its so cute because he'll only do it on me while out of the cage (which now i know why) , AND when hes super happy at the same time . These guys are such characters.

StaceysBuddy

Juvie Member
I was wondering the same thing. Buddy never really used to gape as much but lately I've noticed it. She is starting brumation I think so when I feed her and she does eat, I move her cave so she has to bask or be on the hot side. She will sleep over there instead of basking but she will gape. Temps are fine. And when she's in my room she has done it before and its not too hot in there either.

But now I'm a little concerned with what Elyak said. She does gulp a lot and when she's in the bath I can hear her breathing but I thought it was because she's mad shes in there. (hates baths) Bulging beard... I don't know. She's a hefty girl. I hope she doesn't have a respiratory problem. I thought her temps were fine at night, I will try to wake up in the middle of the night and check them again. Can the problem (if there's a problem) be fixed?

Elyak84

when they gulp its just telling you "I don't like this , leave me alone" lol. And they will puff up there beard a bit. That's totally fine.
But with a respiratory problem there beard feel like it full of jelly. You will defiantly know the difference when you see it! And breathing sounds crackly.

On the good side though it usually can be fixed easily
Just make sure she basks at the right temp, if you have a under tank heater you could put that on overnight.
if its going into burmation that could be a bit trickier as they just want to sleep, I think I would just have to interrupt it and put her under the lamp for a bit each day,

correct heat and light will fix most problems people have on here,

If its not serious it should clear up in a day or two, but if it dosnt get better I would go to the vet as it will need some meds.

StaceysBuddy

Juvie Member
I started reading more posts about it and I think I'm in the clear. I was just worried. I will still keep an eye out for her but thankfully someone else on here had the same problem and it was nothing. =D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom