Unusual Feeder Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuincysBoo

Hatchling Member
Can meal worms, crickets, wax worms carry the Cuccidia or Pin Worm disease? Because I been battling this for months now and I am following all vet orders. wiping cages is light bleach solution, lysol wipes, spraying branches and all down all in separate cages and still battling it.. That is why I ask this question.. Is it possible for the feeder insects have this disease? :banghead: :banghead:

beardieaddict

Sub-Adult Member
thats a good question and i am not 100% on this but i think so because coccida is a parsite and anything that lives can get a parsite even humans so i supose yea they can get it

clear

Sub-Adult Member
First both Coccidia and Pin worms are not disease but parasites. Parasites can live anywhere that has the right environment for them to thrive in. Are you currently feeding crickets, mealworms and waxworms if so who are you buying them from?

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
bleach doesnt kill coccidia as well as ammonia.
I use a 25% solution 1 time every other week.
I use a 10% solution of bleach on alternating weeks.

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Yes your feeder insects can carry both forms of parasites, and others, If you get them from a supplier that has an infestation, then your dragons get it from the feeders they've eaten from the supplier. Getting the cheapest bugs is not alwasy the safest. And, coccidia, by the way is common in dragons, but the counts are usually very low and don't cause a problem. But, if the dragon is exposed to more by means of infected bugs, then those counts can increase dramatically. Also, a dragon who is injured, weak or ill will have dramatic increase in the coccidia counts as well. Coccidea is very, very hard to get under control. Tom's suggestion for the amonia mix one week and the bleach mix the next will definately help kill of remaining parasites present in the viv. Be sure your using paper towel or newspaper for substrate while you are treating and change it out every time there is poo and at least once daily. Good luck, I hope things get better for you soon.

QuincysBoo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
For about 3-4 month or maybe longer I been getting my crickets from a pet rescue/pet store.. They order their supply from a local breeder.. They get new in every Wednesday... I been doing bleach solution and lysol wipes.. But wasn't doing the paper towel for substrate they been on their regular substrate floor tile though.. Been giving them weekly baths. The sickest one I been hand feeding her with baby food and vitamins.. THE others were treated also but they have never looked sick.. But the sick one I have had a hard time trying to get her to come around to her old self.. Oh yeah the wax worms and meal worms I been getting from Petco... But as a treat.. I just want her better so she can grow... :( :( :banghead:

Tracey
the sick one is Lightning in the picture she sick there

neecie

Juvie Member
Aren't we always told waxworms and mealworms are not good feeders? I get my hornworms, superworms and silkworms from Mulberry Farms which is a class act. Highly recommend and good shipment.

QuincysBoo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes they are not good feeders for a complete diet and the meal worms exoskeleton is harder to digest but as a treat is good.. wax worms have a nutritional value of
Moisture 62%
Ash 1%
Protein 16%
Fat 20%
Other 1%

even though they show good protein but they are high in fact so that is why it can be given only as a treat...
But the ones you suggested are great also they have good nutritional value but easier to digest because they have soft exoskeltons but hard to get locally all the time..
But other than that I would like to post I did all cages and lined them with paper towels.. Hopefully this will help.. Oh and thankyou i was looking for that website just forgotten the name..

Tracey

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
It's good that you changed to the paper towel for now. This will make it really easy to clean daily/or as needed as soon as you spot poo. Stick with that for a few weeks after the coccia levels are under control, that will help keep the parasites from being reintroduced to your dragons while they are still weak and recovering.

QuincysBoo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I been cleaning the cages with a mild solution of bleach water.. Everyday when I put new paper towel down.. Anyway I went to a well know pet shop in Seattle that sells, reptiles, cats, dogs, fish, spiders etc... Anyway 4 years ago they had a problem with this disease and they called the health department and the health department told them to use a broad spectrum disinfectant called Virkon's Broad spectrum Disinfectant.. They said they clean all their cages with this and it has been known to kill Cuccidia and they haven't had a problem with this disease in the 4 years they been using it.. I got a packet (comes in a powder) of it and it only cost me $4... And they said to spray let it sit for a couple minutes, and discard any unused liquid portion within a week & a half and make new because it looses it's effectiveness within that time.. But packet last for awhile.. Like I said the Health Department told them to use this and they have never had any Cuccidia in 4 years and it is animal safe... And you don't have to worry ab out the bleach fume hurting your reptiles...I just thought I would share this with everyone..

Tracey

http://www.thepetexpress.co.uk/index.php?p=2_2&pid=8639

http://www2.dupont.com/DAHS_EMEA/en_GB/products/disinfectants/virkon_adv/key_info.html

QuincysBoo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Good news, my sick beardie is getting better from the mixture of kitten food and crickets done the trick.. My little beardie ate crickets by herself last night and getting back to her old self... Mind you that she has been sick for 3 months I didn't think she was going to make it but force feeding the mixture and attention everyday work within a week and half.. Now she is more alert and like I said ate by herself and even chased the crickets to catch them that is a big turn for her and hope she fully recovers from this.. So if some have sick beardies like mine try that mixture mentioned above it just might work with you.. it is loaded with vitamins and proteins that is essential in your beardies diet... :mrgreen:

Tracey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom