Undigested food...Draper needs your help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Draper was diagnosed with pinworms and coccidia about 1.5 months ago. We went through 2 weeks of meds from our vet. We went back and he was clear of pinworms, and had a super low coccidia count (1-2 count). About 5 days after we started his meds, his poops went back to normal. After the first week, we added a probiotic to his everyday routine. He went from 161g to 171g during the treatment, so it went rather well (he's 6 months old, btw). After the second week of treatment, we did a few more days of probiotic. Everything was looking great.

A week ago, I gave him some silk worms and hornworms, to go along with his dubia and phoenix worms. He had 6-8 silks and 4 hornworms over a 5 day period. His poops got really loose. But didn't show any other symptoms of parasites or anything. We read that silks and horns can cause runny poops, so we stopped feeding him those and stuck with dubia and greens only, just to narrow down the causes. During this period he looks great, basks, very active, and has a very nice temperament. He looks and acts like your ideal beardie, and went from 171g to 206g in that week! :D :\

For the last few days since he's had any silks or horns, his poop is even worse. Now it's runny and is mostly undigested, roach parts, collards, phoenix worms (from 3 days ago!). We've checked the temps many times, 105 basking spot (with IR gun), Ir gun temp of 95ish in his dig box, overall air temp has a 70 low and 89 in a 24 hour period (bottom of the viv), about a 85-88 air temp high in the viv (probe). Humidity gauge shows a high of 40% and low of 29% in the last 24 hours.

Funny thing is, he's gone from 206g to 227g in that last 4-5 days! He's still acting great, big appetite, very active, basking, sleeps good, and looks very good overall. He's just shed his legs, and now his head is starting. His appetite or behavior has never changed when shedding anyway.

We started a course of Reptaid yesterday, to see if that will help his belly out any.

Is there something we're missing? I hope it's not more parasites from the horns/silks. Maybe it takes a while to get over the natural runs cause by silks/horns?

Let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

CIMG1623.JPG

jsnsan

Juvie Member
I just wanted to give you a little bump, and tell you what a beautiful viv and dragon you have.
I wish I could help.

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks!

Still the same today. He took his 4th dose of Reptaid today. Still no change in his poop. Runny and undigested!

:(

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Are you certain of the basking surface temp? And is he spending enough time basking? I see that you said you keep rechecking the temps, I suggest you get a digital with a probe or a different gun, just to double check, other than that I would get his fecal checked again.
That is one beautiful viv!!! I love the bedroom!!! You should post a close up of your dragon,,I bet he is a happy little thing when his tummy is good!!
Let us know how he is doing.

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. We have a temp gun at my work, I'll see if I can borrow that in the next few days. There are two probes in the viv, i'll recheck the basking temps with one of them.

Here's the link to Draper's life story. :)
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=170122

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Just an update...on Draper's poop. :p

Today his poop was more 'formed', and no undigested pieces! Hope he's on the road to recovery. Day 5 of Reptaid.

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Yea!!!!!!! Happy to hear the good news!!! I still find it hilarious the way we get excited over poop!! The ways of the dragon world......

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
*sigh*

We had a couple days of loose, but digested poo....back to undigested phoenix worms that last couple of days. And still very loose poops.

uggghhh...

He's still very active, and is looking great, and is still gaining weight. This is so weird, I hope he's actually feeling ok. When he was diagnosed with pinworms and coccidia he weighed 151g, now he's up to 231g! 80g of weight gain from July 21st to today....I dont see how he's doing it, lol.

Anyway, we'll go through the reptaid, and if he still has loose poop, we're calling the vet.

battlenation

Hatchling Member
Have you tried acidophiliz after the meds because they whip out his whole system. The gut flora could need to be aided. Sometimes it needs to be done because meds are so hard on them but they were needed and got them from the vet. I hope all is getting better but after the meds I don't think reptaid would help much. Hornworms and silks are a great hydration feeder but you quit them and still going on. I would recommend also to have a chat with your vet. I doubt this will help much but it's worth a shot. I hope your dragon gets better so he can fully enjoy his crib that's tight...

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
I would get him rechecked for parasites...not sure what else you could do...he is growing nicely though..

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Hey There,
How is Draper doing?? I hope he is enjoying his wonderful home and feeling good. I see that he has gained some more weight,,that is wonderful.
Keep us posted,
Kelly

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
kcarello":1rqdkmdy said:
Hey There,
How is Draper doing?? I hope he is enjoying his wonderful home and feeling good. I see that he has gained some more weight,,that is wonderful.
Keep us posted,
Kelly

He's now up to 258g.....but.

We have him quarantined right now. :(

We bought a microscope and a fecal float test kit.
Hopefully we can get it all under control....whatever it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom