Underweight? Wont eat!!! Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
epicBeardo":3uqi37wo said:
I'm leading towards giving her back to her breeder because i feel like she will be better off, force feeding cannot continue and i can't have it being bitten for climbing to it's favourite spot. If i decide to, i will keep all these replies in mind and apply them in future when i can fit another viv, and am more knowledgeable on how to take care of them and keep them healthy. She has made me cry because of how worried i am about her, and i am not a man who cries often.

That's up to you , whether to keep your's or return it.

BUT I CAN ASSURE YOU OF THIS, your little hatchling WILL BE MUCH MUCH BETTER OFF STAYING WITH YOU , all you need to do is buy a tote/ tub with a clipon lid for him so he can kept away from your mother's big beardie..

He will never be as well cared for in a petshop as you can care for him.
He is likely to be attacked and maimed even killed by bigger beardies who will be sharing the display tank with him the pet shop and the staff simply will not care.
He is more than likely going to end up with a deadbeat pet owner who bought him on an impulse and knows absolutely nothing about the care of a bearded dragon , at least your mother has a bearded dragon so even if she knows very little, she knows something.
IF you can possibly fit a 100L tub in (even sitting ontop of the viv or under the viv your mum's big (adult ?) beardie is in , then a 100L tub like this https://www.bunnings.com.au/ezy-storage-solutions-100l-storage-tub_p2583395 which is very compact and very tough and see through , it's dimensions are W:660mm H:470mm L:460mm will be perfect for the wee one for several months , maybe til he's 18 months old - plenty of time to build his big forever home or save for a shop bought one.

Is dead easy to convert to a perfectly good hatchling's rearing tub as per the instructions I gave previously , the conversion will only take maybe 1 hour if you have the lights and fittings and ffcuts of plywood and some screws and a drill handy and your wee hatchling will be safe and very happy living one of until he grows and needs his own for ever home in a 4ft L x 2ft W x 2ft T viv.

It is then (later down the track) to conserve floor space by stacking the two beardies big vivs one on top the other. Many people do this .

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
That little baby is definitely in danger.
Not only is lighting an issue, but he's already stressed, and now there's this giant monster wanting to eat him. He cannot thrive in these conditions! If the bigger one is already trying to eat him, you need to remove one of them from that enclosure ASAP. It's no wonder he doesn't want to eat.

Taking him back to the breeder is a personal decision, but honestly for me this is the safest solution if you cannot afford to get another set up, even a tote setup suggested by kingofnobbys.
I am very concerned for your new little guy

epicBeardo

Original Poster
I've had a change in spirit, we have gotten a new tank slightly bigger than the other one for her, we are currently getting everything for it and she should be in today, i will give her a week and a bit to try get used to it before handling her and hopefully she will turn around and start eating again :D :blob5:

You can always look on graigslist for a used tank, or even if you use Facebook try posting in your area to see if theirs anyone selling or looking to get rid of their tank.

epicBeardo

Original Poster
Quick update, got a pretty good tank for $50, and everything has been sorted out. She's now living a happy life, she's eating and everything. She is also shedding a bit on her head which ive heard means she is growing properly. Btw, thanks for all the advice everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom