twitching when spayed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinity040400

Juvie Member
Tohru is a male who is about a year, every time I spray him he runs up his branch closes his eyes breathes heavy and twitches. :shock: One time he tried to scratch the water off his head too. If I dont spay his head he just breathes heavy. What is up with this? Has anyone else had this happen?

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
I'm not sure they all like to be sprayed. I don't spray any of my bearded dragons, either. Do you give him a soak or bath twice a week and does he heat any of his salad? Those are good ways for him to hydrate without you doing something that he doesn't like! :D

Esther19

BD.org Addict
It sounds to me like he doesn't like to be sprayed. Like Shanny said, give him a bath 2-3 times a week and mist his salad. Good luck!

CaptainVimes

Hatchling Member
To be honest you shouldn't really be spraying him IN his enclosure anyway, as this would cause humidity, beardie's shouldn't have it humid in the slightest as they are an arid land species not rainforest.

To ensure Dexter gets adequate water, as he has a panic attack in the bath, I use a small pipette out of my Son's chemistry kit (sterile and never used, as brand new sealed kit) and dribble a drop down the front of his nose so it drips over his mouth, if he's thirsty, he drinks, and I continue with separate drops not a continuous stream, until he's quenched his thirst. I either use very slightly warm tap water, or standing water from his hamster-size bowl of water in his viv, if it's already been made fresh that day. He doesn't appreciate freezing cold tap water dribbled down his face, it has to be at his ambient viv temperature, so it doesn't feel too warm or too cold. Sometimes he gets through two pipettes full! (4ml each!) I offer him water between 4 and 8 times a day. Ensuring he won't get dehydrated again.

trinity040400

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well he wont let me pick him up and every time I try to give him a bath he freaks out so bad he almost drowns himself. I have tried water on his nose but he wont lick it off. Right now he is shedding so I am now dipping my hand in water and kinda rubbing it into his skin which he doesnt seem to mind. He no longer twiches when I spay him he just goes black and runs around like a crazy man when he sees the bottle. I guess he just didnt like it.

I know I should spray him in his cage but since he is not hand tame yet I cant take him out. And since he seems to be having a hard time shedding he really needs the help.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
trinity040400":sophomzp said:
Well he wont let me pick him up and every time I try to give him a bath he freaks out so bad he almost drowns himself. I have tried water on his nose but he wont lick it off. Right now he is shedding so I am now dipping my hand in water and kinda rubbing it into his skin which he doesnt seem to mind. He no longer twiches when I spay him he just goes black and runs around like a crazy man when he sees the bottle. I guess he just didnt like it.

I know I should spray him in his cage but since he is not hand tame yet I cant take him out. And since he seems to be having a hard time shedding he really needs the help.

Well, sometimes we do have to do the things that they do not like. :( Hopefully you can get him tamed and trusting you so you can bath him!

drstevo

Again, misting inside the viv is a bad idea with increasing humidity levels. Take him out and mist with warm water and you might see a difference. My BD Deano does not like being misted at all. For me, what is most effective is a bath every other day. Make sure the water is as warm as you'd put a baby in and the water level is up to his shoulder only. Should stop any drowning attempts. He should settle down after about 5 mins and you can gently drip some water on his nose or he will drink from the bath water himself.

kind regards,
Stevo.

trinity040400

Juvie Member
Original Poster
drstevo":2imqx9lf said:
Again, misting inside the viv is a bad idea with increasing humidity levels. Take him out and mist with warm water and you might see a difference. My BD Deano does not like being misted at all. For me, what is most effective is a bath every other day. Make sure the water is as warm as you'd put a baby in and the water level is up to his shoulder only. Should stop any drowning attempts. He should settle down after about 5 mins and you can gently drip some water on his nose or he will drink from the bath water himself.

kind regards,
Stevo.

Bath is not an option right now because he is not hand tame, I cannot take him out of the cage, thats the problem. I only ever fill the water to their shoulders (I have 2 beardies) and he still freaked out and ended up jumping out of the bath tub. He ran away from me black bearded and very angry. That was when he was only 12" long he is now full grown and wont let me pick him up.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
Another way to help him with his hydration is to offer foods that are higher in moisture. Does he eat his salad greens? Are there any fruits that he likes? Never feed more than 10% of his diet as fruit, as it can cause a yeast problem. Fruits are higher in moisture, though and in small amounts could help.

Also, soft-bodied worms are high in moisture, so you could feed silkworms or smaller hornworms.

trinity040400

Juvie Member
Original Poster
ShannyBeard":5d16om5s said:
Another way to help him with his hydration is to offer foods that are higher in moisture. Does he eat his salad greens? Are there any fruits that he likes? Never feed more than 10% of his diet as fruit, as it can cause a yeast problem. Fruits are higher in moisture, though and in small amounts could help.

Also, soft-bodied worms are high in moisture, so you could feed silkworms or smaller hornworms.

Did not know that about fruit, good to keep in mind. I have used cucumber to hydrate him in the past. The biggest thing now is helping with shedding. He LOVES horn worms but they are so expensive I dont get them to often.

BTW, about how often do full grown beardies shed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom