Tv stand into a enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

GGGumdrop

Member
I have a tv stand that I dnt really use, so I wanted to turn it into an enclosure so my baby when I get him/her. Unfortunately I’m not a builder in anyways so I’m at a loss. Can anyone help me on this project? You can find a pic of the tv on my profile I believe.
 

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Moderator
What are the dimensions of the TV stand? You can post photos that you've uploaded by using the XIMG button when you reply. There are some good examples of similar projects in this DIY subforum and also in the enclosures subform so I'd browse through there for some ideas. Best to start by ensuring you have enough space to work with though and go from there.
 

GGGumdrop

Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1sdu4ske said:
What are the dimensions of the TV stand? You can post photos that you've uploaded by using the XIMG button when you reply. There are some good examples of similar projects in this DIY subforum and also in the enclosures subform so I'd browse through there for some ideas. Best to start by ensuring you have enough space to work with though and go from there.

The dimensions are 46 3/4in x 19 3/8 in x 18 7/8in. I know if I bought a terrarium I can easily fix a 40 gallon with the dimensions of 36in x18in x18in.
97630-7709473083.jpg
 

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Moderator
I would try to repurpose something a bit taller. The lighting will take up overhead space with a fixed top so it's best to have something that is 24'' or taller to accommodate this and provide some climbing room. I think with that stand you may run into stability issues if you remove the center cross piece unless you make some new braces to ensure it will hold together properly.
 

GGGumdrop

Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":3qw8xdr9 said:
I would try to repurpose something a bit taller. The lighting will take up overhead space with a fixed top so it's best to have something that is 24'' or taller to accommodate this and provide some climbing room. I think with that stand you may run into stability issues if you remove the center cross piece unless you make some new braces to ensure it will hold together properly.
Could I just replace the top wood with a reptile screen and use that to build the support? I mean it is almost just as big as the net geo terrarium in the pet stores. Thing is I don’t know how I would accomplish that. And just take out the centerpiece and ReStablish the wood to support, since it doesn’t really have a back?
 

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Moderator
I'm not sure how much the structure relies on that cross piece for support but you may need to do quite a bit to make it stable. You could use mesh across the top but that may leave it less stable. You might be able to cut holes in the top for the lights to sit in fixtures above. Given the effort that may be required it might be best to design and build one from scratch so it's just right.
 

GGGumdrop

Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":hfd1b8d6 said:
I'm not sure how much the structure relies on that cross piece for support but you may need to do quite a bit to make it stable. You could use mesh across the top but that may leave it less stable. You might be able to cut holes in the top for the lights to sit in fixtures above. Given the effort that may be required it might be best to design and build one from scratch so it's just right.

Thanks for helping me figure out what imma do. Seeing as i suck at building things imma just buy an enclosure tank instead. At least i know it will hold it up as it is.
 

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Moderator
I'm pretty terrible at building things too, so I understand =). Perhaps keep an eye on craigslist to see if an enclosure comes up locally. You can sometimes find good deals that way.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

HELP what's happening with my beardie!!he has a lifted up scale and it has shedding in a circle around it I noticed it for the first time yesterday and I have no idea what it is and when I shine a flashlight on him it's yellow around the scale what do I doooo
substrate looks scrumptious
My female bearded dragon has recently started gasping for air all the time. She can’t get sleep or really do anything because she has such a difficult time breathing. I think it might be a RI but I’m not completely sure. Any thoughts?
Building a custom enclosure from an entertainment center. Can't wait to see how it ends up! Custom Build
setting up a tank for a garter snake in a few months!!

Forum statistics

Threads
152,414
Messages
1,222,689
Members
74,522
Latest member
Kyr.jpg
Top Bottom