Turning Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saphira is not doing too well. I think something is up. Well, First I think that her power sun is giving her eye problems. Second, I have taken her out of her tararium twice today and both time she has been cool to the touch.

It looks like she is turning blue! OMG!! I mean, if it was her normal color, it would be fine, but what is going on?!? I have put her on a heating pad and seems to liven her up a bit, but I really dont know the origins of these strange problems!!

Vet tomorrow for sure.

Any comments?

2011-09-19_21-16-48_89.jpg

2011-09-19_21-17-04_710.jpg

2011-09-19_21-17-25_704.jpg

AND THIS IS HER AFTER 10 MINUTES ON THE HEATING PAD.

2011-09-19_21-34-50_938.jpg

2011-09-19_21-39-25_900.jpg

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Is she avoiding her basking spot?
What is the basking temperature?
How are you measuring it?
Which PowerSun are you using 100w or 160w?

gabemontelaro

Original Poster
Beardednoob":2k3yyq0e said:

She was actually kinda close to it, temperature around 95
100w

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
gabemontelaro":t9eqvajx said:
Beardednoob":t9eqvajx said:

She was actually kinda close to it, temperature around 95
100w

The 100w Powersuns have caused eye issues before. Gently swab over the eye lid at the opening with a damp Q-tip. Gently. This can help ease irritation and moisten the eye.
You can also use contact safe eye drops or a saline solution to help ease any discomfort. 1-2 drops a day.
My boy Ifrit went through some eye issues from the same brand and wattage bulb.
How far away from the dragon does the bulb sit if your dragon were to be basking?
After seeing your post. The gauge style thermometers are measuring glass temperature more then the enclosure ambiance, you should get a digital with probe thermometer to get an accurate reading of the basking spot. The probe should sit directly where the dragon prefers to bask.

I would replace the Powersun with a 75 watt household bulb vivid or natural daylight for a few days, this will help the eye recover. After a few days or until your dragon is keeping it open for normal periods of time. Then I would consider getting a Reptisun 10.0 linear that spans 66-75% of the enclosure length. If this isn't what you want the Powersun 160w is a better choice as it has a better track record but, the MVB bulbs should sit 12-14 inches (?) from the basking spot.

gabemontelaro

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, unfortunately I have to go to school tomorrow (I am a teacher, But I her schedule set to 10am to 10pm for her diurnal hours. So she will only be a few hours up and about.

I am going to get my contact solution right now so I can start treating her.

Thanks again bearednoob/michael!!

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
Also I would ditch the red light. It has been shown in studies that lizards unlike snakes can see a very wide array of colors (including red) some can even see into the ultraviolet range. While some dragons may do fine with red colored bulbs the majority do not, they tend to close their eyes from the red coloration. This could also be what you are seeing.
The blue color which I should have responded on, lol is the dragon darkening in color to gain warmth (typically).

Water does great but, if you have contact safe eye drops (basically saline solution) they work well too. I would start with the water if that doesn't show improvement in a day or two switch to the eye drops. Please for the safety of your dragon double check the exp date and the ingredients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom