tummy troubles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
Hi there,
I just got my little guy off of craigs list on Friday. I've names him Charlie Darwin, and I am absolutely in love. He is eating his crickets and his greens. My order of phoenix worms showed up right after dinner today, so I just put two in his feed dish and he grabbed them right away. Before I got him, he was getting 5-6 crickets and a handful of spring mix daily and I don't know how the lighting was, so I have been trying to bring his food intake up slowly. Everything was going well, he was getting a mix of collards, turnip greens, chard (he really likes the dark leaf) and a few other greens on the approved list in addition to his crickets. Yesterday I added raw shredded acorn and butternut squash. He went nuts over the butternut, absolutely loved it, but today he had several very runny bowel movements. I was wondering if that is relatively normal for a dragon coming out of a bad state and being introduced to more and more foods or if it is something to get concerned about. He just got his reptisun 10 today, but his basking temps have been consistent at about 110F with the warm size averaging 90 and the cool side a little over 80. I also have a heat pad on the size of his cool side wall right near "blanket." The temps in his room get to 60 at night, but the heat pad is hooked up to the same thermostat as the one on my ball python, so it doesn't get over 91F.

He gets his bath every night, so I will give him an extra long one tonight to keep him hydrated after the diarrhea, but I would really love any advice that people would be willing to give me.

Thanks,
KC and Charlie.

This is Charlie when I first picked him up:
IMG_8175.jpg

And here is Charlie today (6 days later)
IMG_8180.jpg

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
The introduction of new foods can bring on some runny stools.
However it is important to go over your setup and dusting (supplement) schedule just to be sure it isn't related to the enclosure or husbandry in any way.
Can you please go over in detail the enclosure setup (on UV please include brand and type)?
If the runny stools do not cease in 2-3 days I would recommend getting a fecal test done.

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yeah sure, like I said I just got the UV on him today, its the reptisun 10.0 18 inch as recommended by everyone here. My setup is 31"W x 14"D x 12"H. Charlie is a little guy, only 10" from nose to tail tip, though rumored to be a year?!?! He is very active. I was using repashy calcium plus, which is calcium and a multi vitamin, but realized that it has too much vitamin A, so I need to discontinue that and find a more suitable vitamin/calcium regimen. Unfortunate, since Charlie seemed to really like his repashy dusted crickets and actually nabbed my finger when it was covered in powder.
I am using paper towel and ceramic tile for substrate, he has a rock, an exoterra cave that is used as a basking platform, a big piece of pvc pipe and another cave thing. He had a piece of wood, but it got him too close to the basking lights so I had to remove it. He is out 1-2 hours a day though at least. Right now he is trying to fit in the crease of my laptop, where it folds to go to sleep, but he keeps turning on and off the volume.

The person who had him before, in addition to not feeding properly, had him on calci-sand. I am wondering if he was slightly impacted and all the moisture from the new food is just pushing everything through him. I will definitely take him to the vet if it doesn't clear up or any other symptoms present.

Any recommendations for good vitamin/calcium powders?

Beardednoob

BD.org Addict
I only use RepCal calcium and multivitamin.
They should be available on shelf at most pet stores.
With using a linear Reptisun 10.0 you will want the calcium plus D3.

Give him a couple days to adjust and see if the runny stools clear up. If it doesn't I would get a fecal, you may want to get one regardless as you do not know the care of the previous owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip
Top Bottom