Tube UV's & Basking Lights VS Megaray..

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewlloyd

Juvie Member
I have a major dilema on my hands i really need some honest opinon from people who use Megarays.

So here is the deal,
I had an Aussie Sun, which was a MVB, it started to irritate Chace's eyes, which resulted him in not eating for 2 weeks, and costing me $200 for a whole new lighting setup.
Which includes, a thermostat, 2 basking bulbs, and a reptisun 10 tube. (along with some other bits a peices)
Chace has started getting back to normal, eating a little bit more everyday, and getting back to eating his veggies!

Now, ever since i started building my custom viv, the whole idea was to get the Megaray. And that is why i had made it 2ft high, to give myself ample room to put in the Megaray and be able to adjust it to get the right temps.
I couldnt get my hands on a Megaray (Im from Australia, as the place that normals sells them, hadent had them imported for over 4 weeks, and was still waiting for their order.

Only NOW, have the got the Megaray in!
They cost $95 for the 120w SB...

Im so tempted to get it!.. Money is a bit low at the moment.. But what ive heard from other people, they imporve your beardie so much!

I honestly need some opinions, on what people would do in my situation..

Stick with the tube, and basking lights.. or get the Megaray that ive always wanted.

Im just affraid that if i get it, he might go back to being the misserable beardie he was when i had the Aussie sun in..

Additional info for you all.

Chace is 5 and a half months old, 15 inch long.
Hes in an enclosure 4ft(L) x 2ft(W) x 2ft(H) made out of melamine.

- I was also wondering, whats the best way to mount the Megaray? Inside the enclosure, or outside?.
- keeping the correct temps? is it hard?.. best way to do it?

Cheers guys :)

acwood04

Hatchling Member
I had reptisun 10's in the 20 long tanks before I just finished the custom build i JUST did. I put holes in the ceiling of the viv and built a box or something that the porceilin fixtures can screw in to and raise it a little above the top. you install the bulb thru the interior and it adds more space. I've had pretty good results so far with my new Megaray but I read that post about the "problem ones" and dont think I got one my beardie's eyes are open, and she is very active today. The only thing is to make sure you can put a bulb next to the megaray either a regular light bulb(just for light) or a small basking bulb if you need it. I am liking the megaray and think its working great..

andrewlloyd

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok thankyou for replying.. Anyone else?

Let me ask you though, how does your cool side go with the megaray?
Do you find that it overheats the whole enclosure?
Im actualy adding 2 more vents to my cool side tomorrow, as i just cant seem to get the temps down with just using 2 75w basking bulbs.

Cheers

remi1

Juvie Member
I'm also curious to see what everyone's opinion is on the megaray because I'm debating switching to one when I get Remi's new viv done.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
I have 6 beardies. We use the Reptisun 10s and Mega-Ray MVB bulbs. To me the Mega-Ray works just as good as the Reptisun 10 and vise versa. I use the Mega-Ray with the tank vivs 40 gal breeder and a 55gal fish tanks we use as a viv for our two small beardies they all 3 have screen tops. I use a second light at the cool end of the viv to make sure its warm enough since its winter time. During the summer they dont need the extra bulb on the cool end. In the triple decker viv its all enclosed i worried about summer getting to hot with the Mega-Ray 100 watt i thought about getting the 60 watt to be safe but it was just easier to use the Reptisun 10 and change out the basking bulb to get the proper temps. I payed $56 shipping included for our Mega-Rays from their website for the 100 watt. I try and look at the whole picture winter vs summer. Other wize id be broke trying to have so many different wattages of Mega-Rays.

andrewlloyd

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks for your reply..

I think i might buy the Megaray 100w SB, when i have the money to spend.
I'll give it a shot in the winter time here, and see how it goes, if all else fails, i can just change it back to the ReptiSun and the normal basking bulbs i use now.

Thanks for your input, appreciate it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom