Trying to increase tank warmth - am I doing it wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingoDragon

Ok, I have had Wingo for about 4 years and he is healthy - other than not pooping on a regular basis. Many of you helped me through a rather traumatic time when he had not pooped for almost three months......he went to the vet and now, all is well thankfully. The vet told me my temps were fine and that he had perfect bones (after viewing the x-ray), so I was getting him enough calcium, uv, etc.

Exactly one year later, he is having the same issues (he has not eaten for three weeks or pooped for about four). I took him back to the vet and they say he looks great/does not feel blocked up. The vet thinks he is brumating. I've been reading about it and trying to relax and let Wingo be.

I decided to see what the temp in his tank is again.....the basking area only gets to 85 degrees. I have had the same set up for four years; 1 40 watt incandescent for general light, a 10.0 UV tube, and a 100 watt ceramic heat emitter. I decided to get a 150 watt black light bulb (it is a UV bulb too) to see how much the temp would increase - and also kept the 40 watt incandescent and 10.0 UV tube. His basking spot gets to 105 now and his appetite has returned! He seems so much more alert and energetic! My concern is having two type of UV bulbs - is this an area of concern? Should I get rid of the black UV bulb and use a ceramic one instead?

I don't want to "over UV" the poor guy, but he certainly seems to enjoy the new added warmth! Also, I have read that they don't need heat at night unless the temp in the house drops below 75 degrees; well, mine can get down to 56......I keep a cold house, so that is why I've always left heat on throughout the night (in the past, all I have left on through the night is his 100 watt ceramic heat lamp).

Looking forward to your advice,
Megan

acwood04

Hatchling Member
The black bulb you have doesn't produce UVB like the 10.0 tube does. It may produce some UVA rays but thats okay as long as your beardie has an area away in the shade or where he can hide. You dont want two lamps that produce UVB, such as a tube, MVB...That black heat bulb, if it's what I think it is, should be fine. It produces a sort-of blueish light right? It's also advertisted for viewing at night and to simulate the moon right? I'd just keep the heat emitter, and make sure that it doesnt get below 70 or so at night.. As for the day, you can keep it on if its getting the basking temp that high. How do you have the bulbs arranged on the top on the vivarium? What size viv do you have?

WingoDragon

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the reply! The viv is 2.5' x 2.5' x 1.5'. The top is a mesh metal. I have the long UV tube over one half of the tank, and the 40w and 150w black light bulb on the other half. Wingo has a big sloped rock that gets him up close to the heat lamp and incandescent (but it is large enough that he can also hang out without being directly under the heat). The Black Light Bulb is a Repta-Sun 150w. The package says it 'can be used to provide low levels of supplemental ultrviolet radiation.'

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi, rather than using the 150 watt black light during the day along with the 40 watt bulb, I think your best bet would be to pick up a flood light like they sell at Lowe's or Home Depot. Bright white bulbs increase their activity level so that also helps increase their appetite. The flood lights throw out more heat so you have to be sure to check the temps carefully. The UVB and basking bulb should be placed right alongside each other so your beardie can get the benefit of both bulbs at the same time. What is the brand of your UVB fluorescent and what is the distance of it? What type of thermometer are you using to check the temps??

I also recommend that you use the ceramic heat emitter at night if it gets his tank warm enough and closer to 70 degrees.

acwood04

Hatchling Member
You need to have it so Wingo can get within 8 inches or so from the tube while she is on her ramp. You definetly want to switch both of those bulbs out for a singe flood bulb. then use the CHE on the other side to keep it around 80 and keep the CHE on at night if you need to.

WingoDragon

Original Poster
What wattage flood would you recommend - if I end up changing the 150w black light bulb and 40w incandescent with one? The way I have his long UVA/UVB tube positioned; he can get within 8 inches of it for sure.

The tube is a Zoo Med, 5 UVB 18in ReptiSun F15T8 (I said before it was 10 - oops). It was replaced about 8 1/2 months ago.

The thermometer is a Zoo Med Digital (with a probe).

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's hard to say for sure what wattage flood you would need, I think starting with a 90 watt would be good.

Also, moving the UVB right alongside the basking bulb helps increase their time under the UVB. If you need light on the cool side, you could just use a lower wattage household light bulb.

The 5.0 Repti-Sun fluorescent really isn't strong enough for a bearded dragon and that's why we recommend the 10.0. Since your fluorescent bulb is over 8 mo old, it's not really beneficial as the 5.0's aren't strong enough to begin with and all the fluorescents need to be changed about every 6 months. You can get a 10.0 Repti-Sun at http://www.petmountain.com for about $20.00 plus shipping which is a very reasonable price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mellzy
Top Bottom