True temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
So.... I'm curious if anyone can tell me if I can consider my temps to be "true." They seem like they're always perfect, right around 103/80 hot/cold. However, I took his cave out earlier to clean it because he pooped on it, and I noticed when I went to put it back in, the temp was down to like 93. I realized the temp probe is probably picking up some heat that the cave is absorbing. (See in pic the proximity of light, cave, and probe) Thoughts? Another thing I thought of when I realized how much heat the cave is absorbing, (putting my hand on it, it felt pretty hot) would him laying on the cave be the same as using a "heat pad?" It concerned me because I know heat pads are suppose to be really bad
89591-1019284069.jpg

roddy

I would say that you are right and that the heat being registered is influenced by the ambient heat from the cave, also that the heat from your cave beneath your dragon is actually a fair bit higher.

Personally I would move that nice log you have under the lamp at an angle for him/her to bask on, alternatively just shift the cave 4 inches to the right so its not absorbing so much heat.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So how can I properly gauge the temp?
Typically I have a different set up, but we're dealing with coccidia right now, so the decor is minimal.
89591-6034841458.jpg
this is the original set up. The bridge/ hammock is the area where he's able to bask.
However if you are confirming my suspicions, I wonder if it's too hot for him? Or not hot enough. Ever since the coccidia/ change in decor arrangement, he's been spending most his time inside the cave. Though it was previously on the cool side, he never once went in it before. Although, we only had him about 2 weeks before the coccidia/ change, and it's been about 2 weeks since the coccidia treatment started

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd secure the probe right on the basking surface and leave it there for at least 45 min or so to get an accurate reading and leave it in place. That's why I usually recommend two probes one for the basking spot and one for the cool surface so you don't have to move them. For spot checking, using an IR temp gun is a better bet with it's instant readings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom