Trouble with veggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetley

I tried everything with Smaug (with lots of helpful suggestions from this site), but he really will refuse to eat any greens at all and now he is about 3 and only eats insects.

Personally if your lizard is happy and healthy I don't see the problem. Sure he might live one year less but if the rest of his years are great then I think that is more important. Like other people have said some humans are vegan/ vegetarian and some humans eat lots of meat but as omnivores it can be a very individual thing.

Just do the things you can like gut loading the insects as much as possible.

jusalittlecrazy

Original Poster
So I have an update our rescue pluto turned out to be a female and was with clutch when we received her. She ate live food like crazy for the first week because she hadn't been offered the correct stuff before. Now I have got her eating greens by rolling them up inbetween my hands she is more open to eating them if they are just there.

But now I have the issue of her having laid a clutch that we aren't fully sure if the are fertilized or not. We just found out today that about 4 weeks ago the previous owners had a male with her for a week. We don't know what happened to the male after that.

I'm a first time bearded owner. Her color has gotten better she's more active and curious. She was able to pass her first clutch but I'm not sure if she is going to lay anymore

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
The classic surprise when "he" turns out to be a "she" and has babies, huh? :eek:

At least reptile birth control is fairly easy -- if you're not ready to take care of a bunch of baby beardies, just don't incubate the eggs.

I've never had a female bearded dragon, but it's my understanding that they can sometimes lay infertile eggs even if they haven't mated, and all you can do is make sure she has a suitable place to lay them, and make sure she gets adequate food and vitamins and calcium so she can recover when she's done. Once in a while they have problems with egg binding and need to go to the vet, but yours sounds likes she's doing okay with that so far. :)

jusalittlecrazy

Original Poster
Yeah she is I just dont know if she is done laying. I'm checking every day when I get out of work. She gets baths regularly and food as well as play time. She only laid them with her little privacy cardboard up I read that it's more likely for the eggs to be infertile if it's just one clutch but I'm still kind of confused about how close together they might lay clutches if there are like days between or just a few hours.

Regardless I'm glad she didn't end up egg bound. Her dubia's ended up gutloading with vitamins and veggies as well as a calcium supplement because she's super picky right now and she's shedding all at the same time.

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
Female dragons can lay anywhere from 1-7 clutches a year, even if they have never been with a male. Clutches are typically anywhere from 17 days apart to 2-3 months apart. It depends so much on the dragon, there really is no set schedule.

jusalittlecrazy

Original Poster
Well if they were with a male and they potentially lay several clutches for the one mate in the same span what is the time frame between those clutches?

I do know that they can lay several from the same mate with just mating once. I'm so new to this my brother has a female but his has never laid a clutch. She is kept on her own as well.

Mine was with a male for a week before I got her.

Varalidaine

Juvie Member
It should be the same time frames regardless of whether the eggs are fertile or not. Usually the first 1-3 clutches they lay will be more than 50% fertile while each clutch laid after that will decrease in the number of fertile eggs. So every clutch will be about 14 days -2 months apart. Occasionally a few hours or days after laying a clutch, they may pop out one or two straggler eggs they couldn't get out before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaineyPoo
Top Bottom