Tricks are for kids, not dragons...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been taking Brutus out of the viv the last few days for 15-20 minutes. I sit crosslegged and he climbs on my shoulders. I hold out my arms and he climbs around my arms. Well today he thought he was going to be "Super Dragon", because he jumped right off of my arm, trying to reach my dresser, and plopped right on the floor. I was totally freaked out he hurt himself, and I believe he was a bit stunned because he just sat there a bit until I picked him back up. I knew he was going to try this someday, venturing beyond his human master's body. I didn't think it would be this soon! He's still young so he wants to try out crazy stunts. Silly dragon, tricks are for kids! :blob5:

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
*applauds* I have to admit, I've not had a dragon in my dinner yet, but I have had Kyle stealing bits off my plate before. My personal favourite has to be in Cafe Rouge, Bath - when we used to go there for dinner (I lived in Bath for about 8 months), they'd give her a special salad on a little plate too!

I do get worried when they take big jumps, but then again they can jump UP pretty high too I've found. Ky's learned to go up and down the stairs on her own now.

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Yup - we get the same treatment when we go to Mulberries now, and they're a really posh restaurant here where I live. We've got a table we reserve at the back, so that my partner, the dragons and I can all have dinner together. There's also a local pub that does us an extra little glass with lemonade to share with the beasties. If we ask nicely, we can have an extra coaster and an icecube for them to lick!

So long as Ky doesn't try to throw herself at the barmanager again... (That was a good tumble too, off the edge of the bar. Thank goodness for leashes!)

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Well, we've found if you take your dragon(s) around town/village/city and ask managers nicely, some places are more than happy to accommodate your lizard! Large chain branches tend not to, but locally owned places and pubs are far more likely to. Having said that, do keep a nice warm bag to pop them in and keep on your lap. We have to smuggle them into a local cafe because the proprietor doesn't much fancy scaly animals - but his wife LOVES them!

ronni1221

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'm in Chicago. I can't imagine any place allowing me to bring him inside, except for maybe the PetsMart chain. That's about it. Hmmmm... I will have to test this out this summer. Hehehe.

Well Max found out yesterday that he is NOT superman. I guess he thought he could really fly when he jumped off the bed. He looked up at me like - that was not supposed to happen - I just picked him up and put him back on the bed and the hard headed rascal tried it a gain with the same results so I put him back in is viv. I wil let him try it again tonight except i won't let him go through with it cause I'm afraid he is going to get hurt.

Dan

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
A simple answer to your Superman problem Dan: Put the duvet on the floor. If your bed is a tall bed, then fair enough to be worried, but if yours (like ours) is quite a low one, don't worry too much. My guys usually chuck themselves off the bed or the sofas when they want to explore. When Tsam was a bit smaller, I used to put cushions in the place he particularly liked jumping.

Menolly

Juvie Member
Mine has learned that he can jump on the huge stuffed lion that I have at the end of my bed. He learned that mommy always had a heart attacked when he jumped off before and she had to catch him :roll: . Having something that they can jump of on to wold make your life a lot easier. Mine figured out quite fast that to get to the floor the soft lion was the way to go.

I have found that when I just walk into stores with my beardie, most stores just let me. He loves it. It does draw quite a bit of attention. Haha. He usually hangs out on my back with his head just poking over my shoulder. People have to do a double/triple look. He's been pouting during the winter though cause he can't go everywhere with me. Oh beardie glare...thou hast so fierceness.

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
*nods* Sounds about right. My guys also mastered the "blanket slither" - they head down slowly head first, using the back claws to grip to the very last moment before hopping away from the side.

We once got "thrown" out of a shopping mall for having the lizards. Fortunately I know the security boys there, so the lizards made friends with the big softy blokes and were allowed in - so long as they're tucked under the jackets out of view of the cameras!

You do have to watch the bigger supermarkets, they don't like any animals, but a lot of the smaller places are happy to have them round :)

Unfortunately all our beds are very tall. I like putting him on the bed (if he would not jump off) because he is sort of confined. I haven't beardie proofed a room yet so I tried to use the bed, but he had other ideas. Our house has a very open floor plan so there are not a lot of closed off rooms. I am going to try to get my office beardie proofed this weekend so he will have somewhere he can roam around and not get hurt or lost. Max is very active and curious. He loves to roam.

Menolly

Juvie Member
Yes...I learned about grocery shopping the hard way. I was in there a time or two, and some of the employees actually asked me questions bout him and didn't even seem to care. It's funny cause for some reason people seem to assume that he is a very tacky pin... :?: ...I have no idea why but they do.
Except for the one time where he was just sitting on my arm cause I went in quick to get yogurt and the lady saw him and screamed...Yes...she screamed....Then a manager came over and "politely" asked me to get out. :roll: ...Personally, I think he looks very cute and cuddly...

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Eagle: Try cardboard. Sounds silly, but it's great for blocking off little gaps where they could get into, shutting off part of doorways/halls, and with some tape, you can make some really handy slopes. Use a stanley or craft knife to put some gentle grooves into the board - these help with grip. Smooth board is a bit slippery otherwise.

Menolly: the amount of time I've had people ask "is it real?" and freak out when Ky's turned round to see who's asking... Although my friend Angie originally thought Ky was an unusual piece of patchwork on my jumper.

Tsam is currently ignoring me, so no more death defying plunges lately. Although Ky leaped off her swing, the swing swang back and smacked her in the back of the head. She stared at it accusingly. (I've raised it slightly for her)

ewstokes

Juvie Member
I've seen this happen with the babies, flying off my hands or shoulder n all. Not with the adults, they know better. :p :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom