tree frog mixing

Status
Not open for further replies.

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Do you guys think a white lipped tree frog can live with a whites tree frog? are they similar in care? i wanted a waxy monkey tree frog (they are so funny!) but they need a warmer and drier climate from what Ive read. So, well is there any good tree frog that can go with the whites?

usually i dont really like mixing but if there is a really similar frog im willing to give it a try. after all i have LOTS of cage space :mrgreen: :wink:

Sara 8)

SoVerySheri

Hatchling Member
This is a very controversial subject. Most frog people would call you many nasty names for even considering this. I myself won't mix species, but I am overly cautious with all my pets and a HUGE worry wart.

With that said, this is not unheard of and you have picked two frogs that have the same needs and get close to the same size. Both require the same type of heating and humidity along with food and water. The white lipped get large enough that your Whites would not eat them. Whites are cannibals and will eat any other frogs (not always but usually) that are small enough to fit in their mouth, even other Whites.

It is up to you as your tank is very large and they could be away from one another if they wanted to. Try to get frogs that are closer to the same size with any new additions or one might go missing. A lot of people don't admit that they mix species because of all the harassment they will get.

Most other types of tree frogs require greater humidity and don't get very large, so they wouldn't mix well. Might live for a few months but you would start to see them decline soon after that.

Hope this all makes sense. Like you, I can talk frogs for hours!

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Im a worry wart as well and know what people might say. BUT. I have read many occasions where people house different species with no problems. Im not heart broken because i was just curious. I do know the risks. But i also know that different animals live together in the wild. AND I know both those frogs have very similar needs. and with a big tank, they have more room.

But like i said- i was only curious. The only reason I brought it up is to hear if people think like i do on the subject or not. (ok- and because if people assured me they have done similar with absolutely no problems it would be a cool thing to try. :wink: )
I probably wont do it. i just wanted to know just how high the risks would be. Like i said- Im a worry wart.

On the other hand- just because they arent the same species doesnt mean they cant live together. They are frogs with same needs and size. They have just as big a risk of death as other whites. And they have plenty of space. I could try it.

If i did do it- would it be better to have an equal number of each frog or just one white lipped?
What do you think? Would you take the risk? Do you think there is a risk?

Sara

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ive decided not too. Im too afraid. Of casualties and of mean people :lol: . And I was just curious anyways. To be quite frank i was looking to be convinced NOT too. For some reason i started thinking about it and once i get going, as you know....well, ya.

Sara

SoVerySheri

Hatchling Member
I think that's a good idea. Wouldn't it be so much easier, though, with all the neat frogs out there if you could put a variety together? Especially with all the room you have.

I have seen some down right dirty arguments about mixing. I don't get involved (it's all online), but people are pretty harsh!

SoVerySheri

Hatchling Member
Is that you that just posted on TalktotheFrog? I am a member there! It's a great site with tons of info but the people are not always friendly. Great group but sometimes overzealous.

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yes it is me! I found that forum and always wanted a frog forum. So i thought i would ask, but as soon as i did i made my decision :roll: :lol:
unfortunately (but not surprisingly) my usual username- frog- was already taken. So im Sara15. Whats your name?
Sara

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ya, I found you. And your going to make me cry! Waxys?! I LOVE those!! Jealousy is through the roof right now. can you pm people on there?

Sara

SoVerySheri

Hatchling Member
I am very excited to get Waxys. It is too cold here in Wisconsin to ship them, so I am waiting and waiting...

You can't pm on there. Only way to possibly get someone is to click on there name and see if an email is listed or not.

frog

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ya. I was going to tell you about the waxys there but i couldnt pm you so i said it here. Lucky Ducky..

Sara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom