Treats/Food

Status
Not open for further replies.
82228-9645985094.jpg
82228-1905166013.jpg
Hi can anyone tell me if I can give my 1year,4month Bearded dragon these kind of treats/Food. Can I put them in with his greens everyday or just give as treats. I am trying to get good things to put in his Christmas stocking:) I am sorry if I did this wrong I have never upload any pictues on here before. Thanks for any help I will get
Crystal

The first picture/link is Zilla Munchies omnivore Mix
The second picture/link is National Geographic Adult Entree

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/uploads/82228/82228-1353281350_small.jpg

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/uploads/82228/82228-9645985094_small.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would avoid offering the processed foods. Instead, I'd offer treats by adding pieces of fruit to the salad and changing up salad offerings. You could also get an order of silk worms or some horn worms and offer those as a treat. I think you're always better off with fresh veges/fruits and live foods.

I didn't see the photos. Once you've uploaded them you can add them to your thread using the XIMG button.

Dakotahanna

Original Poster
Oh I do give him all the live stuff,hornworm, super worms and crickets. In his salads I give him his fruits and vegetables. Was just looking for something else. Thanks for your help!!!

dezismom

Juvie Member
I feed the National Geo.. adult Beardie food to Dez, along with a healthy mix of live and fresh. He likes them! I warm them first for a few seconds in hot water, because no live feeder likes cold food. Then I drain off the water and roll them in his calcium/vit.D powder. I researched the vitamins and like that it offers a bit of variety and some extra nutrients. I use them as a supplement, not as a main meal staple. They last a long time in the fridge.

Dakotahanna

Original Poster
Oh great! Like I said I just wanted to find something new to give him now and then and I can put in his stocking. Hornworms won't last in a stocking lmao

dezismom

Juvie Member
Still trying to picture hornworms in a stocking, ha, ha!!
At just a few weeks past a year old, I am trying to get DeziLu to eat more veggies and fruits...so far, he is not too impressed. The Nat Geo food has veggies in it, so I like that. He does love any fruit I hand to him from my yoghurt...blueberries are his faves. (He sees me sit down on the floor with a cup of yoghurt, and runs to me, striking his begging pose. I lick off the yoghurt before giving him the blueberries-don't want to introduce a milk based product to his digestive system) In the picture I will post, you will see that he does not miss any meals! I am still handfeeding Dez his morning main meal, because I think it gives us a great bonding opportunity. I offer a 4 course meal, with some variations...the nat geo adult (I call it his beardie beans) is first, and he usually takes one or two, saving the rest for snacks later in the day, then a couple giant mealworms, leaving a spare in his dish, then waxworms followed by crickets. All are dipped into calcium/vit. D powder. He likes a couple crickets loose in the cage to hunt down as entertainment later. I never leave a cricket in with him overnight, for fear the nasty thing will bite my baby. They can bite. Dez likes to play hunter, though, and it is a good thing to offer some stimulation for him during the day. He also will hunt down giant mealworms that have burrowed into his calci-sand...he listens to them, then digs them up with great enthusiasm. In a big heavy glass dish (an old ashtray, actually; it keeps most live food in) I leave a few "beardie beans", a mealworm or two, some greens, and some wax worms as snacks. He seems to go through phases, where he concentrates on one thing for a week or two, then another. How did you get your baby to eat his veggies? I have introduced everything on the lists, but Dez shows no interest! He is still growing, however, so maybe he just feels the need for maintaining a high protien diet. He is also very active during his twice daily walk abouts. We have one room that is "Beardie proofed" where he can have complete freedom to run, climb, explore, always supervised, of course.

82765-779776052.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Main treats I give mine are
for the water skink : small and medium silkworms , berries ( little slices )
for the bluetongue skinks :BIG silkworms , berries (whole or chopped) , snails , banana , hardboiled egg , superworms , mealworms
for the big beardie : BIG silkworms , mealworms, superworms , berries (whole or chopped).

Staples (live insects) :
All silkworms when I have the in leu of crickets.
Crickets for all.
Mealworms for the water skink.

Staples for the baby beardies
Crickets , small and medium silkworms (if I have them) and will be trying out calci-gents this time.

Veg and green leafy salads are staples for all as are softened beardie and lizard pellets.

dezismom

Juvie Member
Sounds like all of your scaley babies are very well fed! I think sometimes we are better at providing healthy diets for our beardie babies than for ourselves, at least that is so in my case :):)

And I know this is off topic, but please accept my profound condolences for your loss of Puff...I was simply devastated when I went back and read his story, and how much you tried for him. I am the retired director of a wildlife rehab unit, so I know how much we give of our time, energy and emotions to save them. Please know you did everything you could possibly do, and sometimes that is just not enough...at those times, we have to let go and not bash ourselves, so we can continue to take care of the others who rely on us. It is never easy, but the rewards of friendship and love from these wonderful creatures of God are so very worth the potential for heart break.

82765-5449060849.jpg
Dezi, at his table, waiting for food service!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom