Treating bearded dragon for parasites

Claire87

Beardie name(s)
Flynn
Hello, a couple weeks ago my bearded dragon was diagnosed with parasites and he is currently on two medications. He has been being medicated for about 2 weeks now and is still not eating and is not as active as he used to be. He just lays around in his cage with the occasional black beard (he does not black beard all day). Before I started his treatment he just kept on sleeping in his cave but now even though he is just laying around he is still on his warm side and under his basking bulb. Is it normal for bearded dragons to not want to eat at all when they are being treated for parasites? I’ve tried googling and read about some people giving their bearded dragons probiotics when taking antibiotics, is that something that I should try and if so what is the best one? I would appreciate any advice on anything else I should be doing for him during this time, he is my first bearded dragon so I’ve never had to go through this before and want to be sure that I’m doing everything right, thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello, a couple weeks ago my bearded dragon was diagnosed with parasites and he is currently on two medications. He has been being medicated for about 2 weeks now and is still not eating and is not as active as he used to be. He just lays around in his cage with the occasional black beard (he does not black beard all day). Before I started his treatment he just kept on sleeping in his cave but now even though he is just laying around he is still on his warm side and under his basking bulb. Is it normal for bearded dragons to not want to eat at all when they are being treated for parasites? I’ve tried googling and read about some people giving their bearded dragons probiotics when taking antibiotics, is that something that I should try and if so what is the best one? I would appreciate any advice on anything else I should be doing for him during this time, he is my first bearded dragon so I’ve never had to go through this before and want to be sure that I’m doing everything right, thank you!
Yes a probiotic is good for them when on meds -- you can order some from Tracie our vet tech mod on here - here is her website Home you can contact her on the website if you like or send her a PM on here as well- Drache613 is her user name - the occasional black beard is not real good - can you please go over the UVB your using brand and bulb is it a coil or a long tube fixture - where in the tank do you have it -- surface basking temps please - how are you taking them ?

Claire87

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Flynn
Yes a probiotic is good for them when on meds -- you can order some from Tracie our vet tech mod on here - here is her website Home you can contact her on the website if you like or send her a PM on here as well- Drache613 is her user name - the occasional black beard is not real good - can you please go over the UVB your using brand and bulb is it a coil or a long tube fixture - where in the tank do you have it -- surface basking temps please - how are you taking them ?
Hi, I am using the reptisun 10.0 t8 24” tube light. I have it mounted inside of the enclosure. His basking tempts are between 95-110, and I use a temp gun to measure his basking temps.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi, I am using the reptisun 10.0 t8 24” tube light. I have it mounted inside of the enclosure. His basking tempts are between 95-110, and I use a temp gun to measure his basking temps.
Ok the distance should be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor and I would recommend getting two digital probe thermometers they are the most accurate - the T 8 would recommend upgrading to the T 5 - same brand or a Arcadia pro T 5 12% bulb 24 watt especially for a 40 gallon tank or bigger

Claire87

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Flynn
Ok the distance should be 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor and I would recommend getting two digital probe thermometers they are the most accurate - the T 8 would recommend upgrading to the T 5 - same brand or a Arcadia pro T 5 12% bulb 24 watt especially for a 40 gallon tank or bigger
Thank you, I will definitely look into that!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things going with your dragon? If you have questions on probiotics, you can let me know.
They do help out a lot with them when they are on harsh medications, to maintain their gut health.
Which antibiotic has your dragon been on, & how much longer will he be on it?

Let us know how your dragon is doing.
Tracie

Claire87

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Flynn
Hello,

How are things going with your dragon? If you have questions on probiotics, you can let me know.
They do help out a lot with them when they are on harsh medications, to maintain their gut health.
Which antibiotic has your dragon been on, & how much longer will he be on it?

Let us know how your dragon is doing.
Tracie
Hi, my vet prescribed albon liquid which he gets every 24hrs and panacur suspen, and he takes that once a week for three weeks. next week he will get his last dose of the panacur. He should be done taking the albon liquid next week as well and then I will send in his fecal for a recheck.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom