Traveling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andry

Hi, I'm new, we have two beardie babies. One 8 inches and one 7 inches. We normally take a weekend trip with one night stay to my parents ranch which is a couple hours away, once or twice a month. Is it okay if on our next trip with take our beardie's with us? Has anyone else traveled with babies?

If we do take them, where would they sleep at night? Would we have to carry the tanks with us?

Thanks.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
I think it too stressful for him. Animals, particularly reptiles, have routine. They become quite stressed out if something is out of the ordinary. You can take him out the same time everyday for him to run around for exercise, but something random like that will stressed them out a great deal....

Andry

Original Poster
Okay, I just read that others take their beardie's out and travel as well, and thought it was a normal thing to do. So, I guess I need a sitter if it's a more than one day trip? Or is it okay to leave a bowl of crickets in for him. They are both feeding from a ceramic plate, where the crickets can't get out, really well.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
In the wild animals also cope with the changes in the environment gradually over time.... So if you learned to become part of their routine, by feeding them at the same time and days, clean the cages at the same time and day, and play with it and let it out on the same time and days...you slowly habituate it to you, and you can get even some of the most aggressive animals to calm down. And they won't be as stressful around you and your family in the captive environment. It comes in handy when yuo have to handle it in case of emergency.

jeritta

Sub-Adult Member
Just my 2 cents worth.
We have traveled with our beardies.We have taken them on vacation with us. we take the largest tank since they are still babies and just
divide it. We take lights for both sides and their bowls and hides for bothsides also blankies and other items. YES it is a lot of work to travel
with them. If you have a sitter you trust I would recomend it but we have traveled with ours and really enjoyed it. They seemed to love it
as well. They like the time riding and liked the excursions we did on vacation. It is up to you just know you need to keep things as close to
your home routine as possible and carrying food and viv and other stuff needs to be considered. Just so you can make an informed decision.

Andry

Original Poster
Sounds great! Were they babies? How old? I know my mom's house can be way the same as mine and everything would pretty much be the same except for the two hour drive.

gogga

Juvie Member
Well I havent taken mine on overnight trips yet. But She has been out with me for 6 hours plus. Just keep the travel time temps warm enought by letting the car heater run, using hot water bottles or rice bags. Also allow about 2 hours basking time when getting to the destination and dont feed live feeders if you guys will be going to sleep directly upon arrival. They need about 1-2 hours before lights off to digest the food.

Big rubbermaid containers do well as temporary vivs, put a towel, newspaper, paper towels in the bottom and a log/rock or whatever you like. Attach a clamp lamp for heat and take out for some natural UV during the day. Or if you can, get a small UV bulb to leave at the other location for visits.
The whole rubbermaid setup can be packed up and put the lid on when youre not there. Store till the next visit.

Since its your parents house, maybe you can get a small viv 20 gallon or so. Then you can make a double duplicate setup for visits (seeing you do it 2x month every month) . All youll need is to store it in the garage or somewhere if it cant be kept in the house and If your parents dont mind. Eventually the 2 will see these visits as part of their routine and wont be bothered anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom