Traveling with Beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erica582

Hatchling Member
Hello!
My beardie is about 14" long and an estimated 8-9 months old. I live 4 hours away from my family, with my boyfriend, and two roommates. I need to go home for the weekend as it is my mom's 50th! I do not trust my roommate to take care of my bearded dragon, as I ended up adopting her fish.
Can I take my beardie with me? Its 4 hours each way, and we're only going for two nights. Any thoughts?

Lennifer

Juvie Member
I think the car ride would be fine & u can take him outside for 30 mins in the sun every day for those 2 days, if it's warm enough. Not sure about the heating/light situation tho. Do u have a smaller tank that u can take w/ u to make his set up? I know he needs the heat to digest his food, so If u can't take a small tank & set him up where u are going, then it may be best to leave him w/ your roommate. Or maybe have someone else who's more responsible then your roommate, come take care of him/her while u r gone. That would prolly be the easy way to go. Good luck:)

~Sandy

Erica582

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have a 20 gal tank which she actually seems to prefer. I was just wondering if the stress of sitting in the car for 4 hours is...stressful. Shes not usually skidding shes pretty calm, she's done short car rides with us and she just sits and basks in the sun but 4 hours seems like a lot for her to tolerate.
Have you done this?

Freeie

Extreme Poster
My daughter takes Chimera for visits with her grandma. She takes a rubbermaid container and a clamp lamp for heat and a log to get up on to bask. She dosnt take his UVB because its attached to his viv. Shes gone usually 2 days once a month or so. She takes him outside here and there. I think it would be ok with no UVB for a few days just make sure to have the basking for proper heat. When she takes him for road trips to pick up her friend if its sunny they put a towel on the dashboard and he just loves it. We also picked up a small dog carrier a cloth one with mesh at both ends when he starts getting squirmy she sticks him in there in the towel and he goes to sleep. If its cool you can use a hot water bottle and put it under the towel for warmth.

Erica582

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
How long was that drive? I have only ever taken her in a car once and she drove me nuts she ran absolutely everywhere. Shes older now so maybe she would be calmer... 4 hours seems excessive to me.
I fed her superworms this week fro the second time (I was out of crickets) and the first time I fed her them she got really sick and she has pooped since feeding her but only in a bath so I want to monitor her health/pooping. Which my roomie will not do.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
Few hours one way and than back again. In the same day. He loved the trip. But than again he loves just about everything.

Erica582

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well I braved the 4 hour drive with my beardie. She was a terrorist for 3 of 4 hours, with one hour of nap to regain energy to terrorize. But it is do-able, I just dont think shes very happy now, very clingy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom