Traveling with a dragon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SevzLight

My bearded dragon is coming with me during my vacation that includes a 9 hour drive! What should I do to prepare this for him? I'm planning on bringing the whole tank in my back seat of my sedan. But his heat lamp will not be on during the car ride (obviously).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
9 hours shouldn't be a problem. He will likely look out the window a bit and then find a place to lay down/sleep. I'd provide some kind of cozy area - a shoebox or something similar - and put a towel or blanket down in it so he can rest in it. Bring some hand warmers along just in case the temp drops too far (you won't likely use them during the summer). Make some rest stops to bring him outside and give him light exposure (nice but not necessary for that short of a time). I'd feed him before you leave and put a leash of some sort on him so he can't wander under your feet. Otherwise don't worry about light or food too much. I travel with dragons a lot and have never had any issues.

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
Like Cooper said, a 9 hour drive isn't too bad. As long as you've got his cage ready to go for when you get to your destination, just let him get cozy in the car and nod off.

Bring extra paper towel or kleenex nearby; seems like for me, the surest way to get a beardie to poop is the first 10 minutes of a car ride. The longer the car ride, the smellier the poop will be, too. So having kleenex or paper towels on hand to clean up the inevitable poop will help!

Have fun! :)

-Jen

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
LLLReptile":30k38o38 said:
Like Cooper said, a 9 hour drive isn't too bad. As long as you've got his cage ready to go for when you get to your destination, just let him get cozy in the car and nod off.

Bring extra paper towel or kleenex nearby; seems like for me, the surest way to get a beardie to poop is the first 10 minutes of a car ride. The longer the car ride, the smellier the poop will be, too. So having kleenex or paper towels on hand to clean up the inevitable poop will help!

Have fun! :)

-Jen

Haha! Such a good point. I was never more thankful for rubber floor mats!

Coolnon21

I have heard this very many time in the car don't let them look at the window it freaks them out really bad I am getting ready to go on a 6 hour car ride with mine beamed ness and I will use a cat carrier a hand warmer with towel for his temporary substrate and then but a towel over the cat crate :blob5:

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Coolnon21":20cee0h6 said:
I have heard this very many time in the car don't let them look at the window it freaks them out really bad I am getting ready to go on a 6 hour car ride with mine beamed ness and I will use a cat carrier a hand warmer with towel for his temporary substrate and then but a towel over the cat crate :blob5:
Depends on your dragon, Pepper likes to sit on the dash or on the door to look out the window, he will hop off me to go look or cling to the sides of his carrier to get a view. He doesn't like to be too far up the dash (windshield over him) or have the sunroof open though. I think you mentioned your baby is still getting used to you? A cat carrier and towels is a good safe way for him to ride comfortably. Have a safe trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom