Traveling with a beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

verbharr

We will be going away for a little over a week at the end of the month. I have found someone who will care for our beardie while we are gone but my son really wants to bring her with us. I told him we wouldn't be able to keep her appropriately warm on the long car ride and the next thing I knew he and my husband found an adaptor for the car to plug in her lights. I am still not sure this is a good idea and am looking for any advice you have.

We will be driving about 5 hours, staying for a few days in a home and then driving another 5 hours or so and staying several more days in a home. Then the 10 hour ride home.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Lisa

daveandem

We have traveled with our beardies many times. We also have an adaptor in our truck for the beardies. We have taken them on our 9 hour trips (each way) and they have done just fine. We do take out anything that can fall on them and put it back when we get to our destination. We havent had any problems at all traveling with them. Although we have 2 heat bulbs we have to only leave 1 in for the trip or it takes to much juice from our battery. But our temps stay fine in the tank. Usually in the 90 degree range which is fine cuz we dont feed them in the truck :D .

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I know exactly what type of adapter you are talking about. It converts ac to dc & has anywhere from 1 to several plug ins on it.
If you can find a way to rig up the light to sit over him or hang over him to be safe, I don't see a problem with it. I have to admit we have traveled like that & really they love it most of the time.
I would not really feed much on the traveling days, maybe a few little snacks, just for ease for all of you & on him. If he is warm enough he can have a few snacks & still digest with no problem. He may not want to sit under the light the whole time though but will want to look out the window. They really love to look around alot!
The main thing you have to watch for are large birds flying by might scare him, but, other than that he should travel with no problem.
He can go without the UVB light for a week or so if you don't want to take it with you. Or, just take it to use when you get settled for a few days, that is up to you.
Don't forget to take water, ways to keep his food, wetones or towels for cleanup, & his favorite blankie of course. :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom