traumatic situation last night, tail rot, too

christab

Beardie name(s)
Puff
Hey, all, my baby's name is Puff (that was the name when I got her/him almost 10 years ago, lol). She was a rescue from a former friend that was feeding iceberg lettuce and carrots and had her in colored sand, so, ya, know.

Anyway, yesterday, I woke her up and put her in her outside enclosure for a bit while the sun was out, brought her back in and gave her a bath where she had a nice big drink and hung out, then I put her back in her enclosure to warm up till hubby got home with mealworms. She dug right in and ate about 20 or more, happily and chased them all around. I out her back in her enclosure to stay warm after all those worms and when I went to check on her about an hour and a half later, she was bone white and not responsive. I pulled her out and felt she was clearly overheated and almost dead, to be honest. I got her under some cool-ish water, like bath water temp, but still cooler that she was, by far!, and gently started cooling her down. She would twitch a bit and that was how i knew to keep trying. She eventually got color back and cooled off but was still warmer than she normally likes to be, but ok, alive and responsive, so we had a huge sigh of relief. Gentle cooling in the damp grass while I called the vet and then a couple hours snuggling until her color got all the way back to normal.

We then noticed that she had a bit of tail rot. She had a kink in her tail when we got her 10 years ago but it has never caused any issues before now. Could something be going on with her immune system that could have caused this?

That spot that she overheated in is only about 95 degrees at any time. She has never overheated before, but she doesn't particularly like to be super warm, either. She is a Colorado Beardie, lol. I have pics of her pooping outside with snow all around her in February! I took her to the vet this morning and will start antibiotics today, and I will also be soaking her tail in the Betadine solution, but is there anything that you can think of that might have caused the overheating issue?

We have her in a 4 or 5 ft tank with plain sand (no issues there in the 10 years), a 2 ft long? UV spectrum long light and a 125 watt heat lamp on the other side. Her tank is topped with expanded metal sheets, because we also have cats and cats can be jerks. She is trying to start brumating now, so I wonder if that could have affected her this year? As far as we know, she was an adult when we got her, so we have no solid idea of how old she is, other than 10+ years. Literally nothing has changed about her setup or temps or anything else in the last several years!

Please ask any questions you might have to help me clarify what you need to know. I am still so freaked out by the whole thing!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
The only thing i can think of is if she has tail rot maybe the infection made her sick. 95 degrees shouldn't be hot enough to cause that and you would think she would get up and move before getting that hot. I would probably ask the vet to do blood test in case she does have an infection.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's true that 95 degrees isn't too hot for a basking spot but if the entire enclosure was 95 then it probably would be. Can you post pics of the outside enclosure and also Puff and the end of her tail that has the problem ?

christab

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Puff
The vet put her on clavamox and said to see if she's better in about a week. In the meantime, I pulled her branches and such so that can't happen again, for now at least. She's never had a difficult time with any of them before but I'm not taking any chances!

christab

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Puff
It's true that 95 degrees isn't too hot for a basking spot but if the entire enclosure was 95 then it probably would be. Can you post pics of the outside enclosure and also Puff and the end of her tail that has the problem ?
I will get that done as soon as I get home from work!

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
My concern is like what everyone hear says, 95 is a perfect temperature for a adult bearded dragon. And if she didn't like it she would've gone to the cook side or in a hide. What were temps outside and how long was she out there? Was there water in the outside tank? Let us know how she's doing!

christab

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Puff
Yeah, it was definitely not as warm as 95 anywhere else in the tank. Temps were in the high 70s, but she was in her cubby hole when I went to get her, so probably in the 60s.

She doesn't have water in her outdoor enclosure because she only drinks during her bath and she had been inside and had a drink an hour or so before I put her in her inside tank. Also, I'm afraid of her drowning cause she likes to fall asleep in her water bowl!

She is a bit slow today and her color is a bit orange, which she normally isn't, but definitely better than last night. She was awake and looking all around today at the vet, and in the car on the way there and back but she is sleepy and gonna be mad to be kept awake when she wants to brumate, lol.

christab

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Puff
Ok, I have some pictures here. I just picked her up and she feels like "her normal" temp, which tends to run cooler. The temp gauge behind her light is reading about 82 degrees, so it will be a bit cooler on the food side, but right under her light is between 90 and 95. I did have a stick there that is where I found her dying. She has laid in that exact same spot 900thousand times and nothing has gone wrong. It's like she was cooked in that spot so fast she couldn't move. Idk, man. I am still so dang worried!

The last pic is from last night after we had her on the grass. She is much more orange right in her core, which was telling me she was still pretty warm there, which we could feel in her belly.

I did take all of her stuff out because I am terrified of something happening again when I'm not home!

The second pic looks like her tail is peeling but that's just dried greens, lol. It does, however, feel like a dead and dried up mealworm right there at the end. Maybe an inch and a half long, but the dark color is about 4 inches, which has always been that way! Thats what's got me so messed up!

The first pic is her normal coloration when she's just chillin and that was just now.

Attachments

• 20230911_171042.jpg
    20230911_171042.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230911_171051.jpg
    20230911_171051.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230911_170906.jpg
    20230911_170906.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 20230910_180449.jpg
    20230910_180449.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 64

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok, I have some pictures here. I just picked her up and she feels like "her normal" temp, which tends to run cooler. The temp gauge behind her light is reading about 82 degrees, so it will be a bit cooler on the food side, but right under her light is between 90 and 95. I did have a stick there that is where I found her dying. She has laid in that exact same spot 900thousand times and nothing has gone wrong. It's like she was cooked in that spot so fast she couldn't move. Idk, man. I am still so dang worried!

The last pic is from last night after we had her on the grass. She is much more orange right in her core, which was telling me she was still pretty warm there, which we could feel in her belly.

I did take all of her stuff out because I am terrified of something happening again when I'm not home!

The second pic looks like her tail is peeling but that's just dried greens, lol. It does, however, feel like a dead and dried up mealworm right there at the end. Maybe an inch and a half long, but the dark color is about 4 inches, which has always been that way! Thats what's got me so messed up!

The first pic is her normal coloration when she's just chillin and that was just now.
Your dragon is too far away for the UVB for a T 5 and especially a T 8 and if the screen is a fine mesh like a screen door shes not getting any at all --- screens block 30% of the rays -- I would get the sand out and replace w/ some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank --- please get some digital probe thermometers for accurate basking temps - the analogs only give ambient temps - she needs temps of 95-100 placed on the spot where she sits to basks -- the tail looks iffy to me gonna have ahbd take a look
@AHBD

christab

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Puff
Not a screen, it's an expaned metal. The holes are about 1 inch wide, just to keep the naughty cats out. She likes to dig in the sand and has ripped out nails digging at other stuff, so that's why she has the sand. Ill grab a probe thermometer and double check, as well as an instant read, but she will never hang out in temps that high. She hates being that warm, trust me. We had to move her heat light up because she would stay in her sleeping box or on the food side of her tank and wouldn't move.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Not a screen, it's an expaned metal. The holes are about 1 inch wide, just to keep the naughty cats out. She likes to dig in the sand and has ripped out nails digging at other stuff, so that's why she has the sand. Ill grab a probe thermometer and double check, as well as an instant read, but she will never hang out in temps that high. She hates being that warm, trust me. We had to move her heat light up because she would stay in her sleeping box or on the food side of her tank and wouldn't move.
Too cool of temps will not start digestion--- the basking decor needs to be directly underneath the UVB approx 8-10 inches -- incorrect basking temps and UVB makes for a sick dragon-- the basking lamp needs to be a solid clear bright white bulb --- NO daytime bulbs please - off white or colored -- examples of lamps are Exo Terra Intense - Flukers basking or a Arcadia Halogen bulb

christab

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Puff
Too cool of temps will not start digestion--- the basking decor needs to be directly underneath the UVB approx 8-10 inches -- incorrect basking temps and UVB makes for a sick dragon-- the basking lamp needs to be a solid clear bright white bulb --- NO daytime bulbs please - off white or colored -- examples of lamps are Exo Terra Intense - Flukers basking or a Arcadia Halogen bulb

Attachments

• 20230911_175245.jpg
    20230911_175245.jpg
    326.8 KB · Views: 55

christab

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Puff
So we don't like these lights? I can move the long one down so it hangs inside from the expanded metal. This is what it looks like from inside. Her basking spot was about 2/3 of that distance from the round light, but that's where she almost died, so now I'm lost!

Attachments

• 20230911_175529.jpg
    20230911_175529.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 44

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So we don't like these lights? I can move the long one down so it hangs inside from the expanded metal. This is what it looks like from inside. Her basking spot was about 2/3 of that distance from the round light, but that's where she almost died, so now I'm lost!
T 8 's need to be unobstructed - the Zilla is not a very good brand- I would recommend getting her a better uvb- PetSmart carries the Arcadia pro T 5 w the 12% bulb 24 watt - it's a 24" which is fine for 40-120 gallon tanks- or I can post links for 2 others

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom