toxic wood or not ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zackbeardieowner

Hatchling Member
I have been building my own cages and i have recently heard about these toxic woods i phoned my supplier where i get sheets of ply wood and asked them what kind it is and they said its called meranti is this type safe ? i was in doubt :study: because this wood is a bit reddish :angry5: and the previous one i built was lighter and they said sometimes they receive different kinds but always meranti so is this meranti wood fine for my bear dies and other reptiles thanks :eek:

Blinksmama

Juvie Member
I did a quick search and the only woods I can find that are toxic to beardies is cedar. I'm not sure if pine is toxic, or just an irritant. I think I'd stear clear of all evergreens.
That being said, any wood should be fine if you've properly sealed it.

Blinksmama

Juvie Member
Are you meaning the interior of the enclosure or the exterior? A water-based non toxic sealant can be used. It has to fully dry, so that there aren't any fumes when the animal moves into it.

Blinksmama

Juvie Member
I wouldn't worry about the outside, if you like the look of it. If you're able to find out what adhesives/products are used in the plywood, and they're not toxic or don't release fumes that are harmful or irritants than it shouldn't be a problem. However, doesn't the unsealed wood absorb odours and moisture? How can you disinfect the interior, so it doesn't harbour bacteria and get mouldy?

Blinksmama

Juvie Member
I'd just hate for you to do all that work and have the enclosures start to rot or something, when they could last for years.

Blinksmama

Juvie Member
No sorry :( I'm in the process of planning a new viv, so I've looked up a lot of things, but I'm not that familiar with what brands etc. are available. If you do a search in the DIY section, I'm sure you'll find a few recommended products :D

Amy

Blinksmama

Juvie Member
I'm not sure, wood it really absorbant and you'd probably go through quite a bit. Also, how washable is it? It would probably be less expensive to buy a wood sealant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beardies4life
Top Bottom