Tough love <3

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Soo. Scout. That pesky 28 month old male bearded dragon just won't eat his greens!!

He gave up brumating a month ago and has been romping about outside or inside his cage sportin' a blackbeard. I swear my male gecko woke up Scout and told him it was time for Spring just as a sick joke. xD

Anyway, I've had problems getting Scout to eat greens since he was little. =/ He's been a bit better since he's gotten older, but it's still be an uphill battle that he's winning.

I feed him mainly mustard greens and acorn squash(which he'll eat, but only a little bit of) and that's always dusted with repashy bearded dragon vit/calcium powder. I've been using that for at least a year now and no problems, no health issues, both he and Riza, my sister's female dragon, are healthy.

I've just ordered a start-up kit of Dubia Roaches and will probably get more at the reptile expo in 27 days(I'll see about getting more female since what I bought only comes with 4-5, plus a bit extra for insurance they don't all die on the way over here), and hopefully I'll be able to get them to breed and produce enough to where we might just be able to sustain a new baby beardie in August/September!

Anyway, my biggest problem right now is I have absolutely no live feeders. I'm in the process of euthenizing my superworms and beetles due to 1) A grain mite infestation, 2) I had these beetles for a long time, they died quickly and I wasn't getting babies as fast as I usually do(I've bred them before, using worms from GreatLakesHornworm(AWESOME PLACE! Never 1 issue with my worms or beetles), but this new place I bought them from due to it being a bit cheaper..... :banghead: They died so fast, the beetles looked awful, and they sort of... freaked me out. :shudder:
3) I have a less than great memory..... So remembering to put carrots in with the worms was a bit of a challenge this time around, especially since my dragons had been brumating(only one is now) and I wasn't constantly seeing them.
Back to 1) I didn't want to deal with the trouble of figuring out how to keep superworms and beetles alive for a month without grains, plus, they freaked me out, were gross, and roaches are a lot cuter and they don't bite!

So. I'm out of feeders and I don't know when I'll get more. I just realised this could be a good time to get Scout relying on eating greens more than bugs, since they(adult dragons) are supposed to be eating roughly 75-90% greens, the rest being protein of some sort. My dragon's completely healthy and got good fat stores on him, I figure if I cut out bugs for a few weeks until I can scrape together more money, let this mite infestation die out(I was told to wait a month before getting more greens), and figure out if I want to save for more roaches or buy supers for Scout to eat, I can also work on getting him to be more dependent on greens and veggies rather than just superworms and the occasional bite of squash. Obviously his salads will be properly dusted so he's getting enough calcium and vitamins, but I know lizards can go quite awhile without food(adults that it) probably longer than anyone feels comfortable to try, and he'll still have his veggies, so until sometime in January, will just feeding him salad be fine? He won't like it, but in the long run, if he eats more salad and breaks his superworm addiction, he'll probably be healthier in his later life. =3 Opinions?

Russell84

Hatchling Member
I posted something recently on getting BDs to eat greens. Maybe theres something you can try?http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=183371

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I read that before I posted this.

I've tried all of those methods multiple times.

With your first option: He might see the greens wriggling because of the live food, but he will wait until one of them makes it way to the top of the dish so he can get it greens free.
With the second: I'm not planning on completely giving him no food for awhile, but I'll offer him only greens for awhile and see if he'll get hungry enough to eat them willingly.
Third option: Occasionally tricking him like that will work, but he usually he's either too fast and I'm too slow, or he'll catch on and stop eating for a couple hours.
And the fourth suggestion: I'm done that, too. I'll gently rub his mouth with a piece of squash or collards, or stick it between his lips, so when he opens his mouth to lick his lips, he ends up being forced to eat the greens/veggies.

I've tried sprinkling fruit juice over his salads(he likes fruits), I've tried wrapping a worm up in greens and tong-feeding it to him(he always manages to eat just the worm though), I tried the no live food thing before, but I'm not sure how long I lasted before caving and giving him bugs.

Hopefully this will work this time :banghead:

Russell84

Hatchling Member
I presume you would have already tried high coloured veg/flowers? (yellow/orange/reds)?

Anyway I know how frustrating it can be! They are very sneaky at getting the bugs and dodging the greens.
The third option worked well for me, but I think I had a slowish dragon. However, when I did it too much He'd just get fed up and walk away! :lol:

arman

my guy wont eat anything except endives... he will clean his bowle everyday! but i put collard greens, squash, strawberrys, escrol, anything except endive.. nuttin. so just try every thing by its self for a day or 2 to see if he had a fav... also my dragon is 9 months i got him when he was 6 months from a petstore that only fed him pellets and the occasional cricket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom