Touching phones etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiaB

I am new to owning a breaded dragon ( or any reptile )
And I am aware it is a possibility to contract salmonella through the beardie. I was wondering how strict the hand washing rule is? Can I not touch my phone while playing with with beardie? Or let him touch anything in the house? Or what if he climbs on my clothes, do they need an instant wash? I don’t understand the do’s/don’t’s of the hand washing/infection part. Thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Wash your hands after cleaning up the poop is a good rule of thumb -- as far as I know unless hes pooped on things other than in the tank like your floor clothes etc its good to clean it up w/ some sort of sanitizer like mixture of bleach / water -- clorox clean up is good or throw the clothes in the washer -- also if there are two beardies in the house some of us have more than 1 its good to wash hands in between handling them as well - sometimes one could be sick and you dont know it and handling the other one can transfer the illness to the other one
Karrie

MiaB

Original Poster
KarrieRee":b12xra5k said:
Wash your hands after cleaning up the poop is a good rule of thumb -- as far as I know unless hes pooped on things other than in the tank like your floor clothes etc its good to clean it up w/ some sort of sanitizer like mixture of bleach / water -- clorox clean up is good or throw the clothes in the washer -- also if there are two beardies in the house some of us have more than 1 its good to wash hands in between handling them as well - sometimes one could be sick and you dont know it and handling the other one can transfer the illness to the other one
Karrie

Thank you! ( not sure how to use this website yet, sorry! )
I wash my hands after every time I handle him, and so worried to let him roam on my bed or on my body as don’t know if I’m catch salmonella like this. Any ideas or input? Thanks, Mia

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I haven't had that issue for awhile - mine poop in the tank on the tile in the mornings and usually in the same spot- cleaned up w/ vinegar/ water solution w/ paper towels- always wash hands when done and if they poop on anything else it was washed immediately- bedding or couch coverings- but haven't had that issue for awhile
Karrie

MiaB

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2ll4jyti said:
I haven't had that issue for awhile - mine poop in the tank on the tile in the mornings and usually in the same spot- cleaned up w/ vinegar/ water solution w/ paper towels- always wash hands when done and if they poop on anything else it was washed immediately- bedding or couch coverings- but haven't had that issue for awhile
Karrie

What if they don’t poop, but they are just walking about? Do I still need to wash my bed sheets everytime he walks on them etc? Thanks

neilkd21

Hatchling Member
I wouldn't worry too much if you keep the tank clean, clean up any poo promptly, give him a bath if any on him if walked through it etc. Am lucky ours only goes in the bath so easy to clean. Had him for 5 years and he has free run of the house, on the bed, sofa and gets lots of cuddles and we never had salmonella.

Is a chance of salmonella but is minimal. Just as you say wash your hands and you be fine. It's fine to touch your phone, remote etc.

MiaB

Original Poster
neilkd21":2q8qhkt2 said:
I wouldn't worry too much if you keep the tank clean, clean up any poo promptly, give him a bath if any on him if walked through it etc. Am lucky ours only goes in the bath so easy to clean. Had him for 5 years and he has free run of the house, on the bed, sofa and gets lots of cuddles and we never had salmonella.

Is a chance of salmonella but is minimal. Just as you say wash your hands and you be fine. It's fine to touch your phone, remote etc.

Thanks so much! I can’t wait till mine can roam around!

neilkd21

Hatchling Member
Yeah it's good fun when they start roaming around, they very inquisitive and love exploring. Ours usually runs around like a madman for ages before climbing up onto the sofa or bed to relax. Just make sure that the rooms are beardie Safe.

We lucky that all the furniture in the lounge and bedrooms is either flat on the floor or raised up enough to reach in and grab him if he does go under it. We just keep the doors to the bathroom and kitchen closed while he is out as more appliances and small gaps he could get under. They like trying to get under things.

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
I got mildly sick shortly after getting my Beardie cause she tried to eat my lip ring (probably thought it was a worm), probably got some of her saliva on it and then I ended up ingesting it because the ring is... well, in my mouth. :shrug:

After that, I bought a 2Liter thing of hand sanitizer (I know that's hard to come by these days. I was lucky to get it before Corona hit) and just use that after I handle her, her food, or clean her poop.

MiaB

Original Poster
SarahGekkou":2ahydbgn said:
I got mildly sick shortly after getting my Beardie cause she tried to eat my lip ring (probably thought it was a worm), probably got some of her saliva on it and then I ended up ingesting it because the ring is... well, in my mouth. :shrug:

After that, I bought a 2Liter thing of hand sanitizer (I know that's hard to come by these days. I was lucky to get it before Corona hit) and just use that after I handle her, her food, or clean her poop.

I just wash my hands after I handle him, and then I’m just going to accept him to walk on my bed ( except pillows etc ) and touch my phone while handling him as people say this will be okay. I’m going to search for some sanitizer to keep near the viv, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stocam01
Top Bottom