Totally Paranoid new mom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I got 2 baby Beardies from Petco the 4th of this month. Dylila who is quite tiny and Virginia who is much larger....I will post pics at the end of this. Virginia is fiesty and eating good, she belongs to my daughter. Dylila is freaking me out!! She is very small and will only eat an average of 4-5 crickets a day, also she seams to sleep a lot. She basks all day, no running around.....just basking. She only comes down from her log to eat the crickets, and then she will hop right back on the log.....even sleeps on the log at night. I have been reading as much as my brain can absorb from the moment I got her, and it worries me. Is she still going through an adjustment period, or is something wrong?!? PLEASE HELP!!

IMAG0281.jpg

This is her viv...basking temp is usually between 100-104, cool side stays at about 82. I am using the digital thermometers with the probes. I give her a bath everyday, she seems to love them. I try to hold her each day for at least 5-10 minutes. I have the Repti-glo 10.0....could not find anyone near us that sold the Repti-sun. 100 watt basking bulb, and a 50 watt black night light. Substrate is non adhesive shelf liner(duck). We are dusting one meal a day with calcium, 5 days a week and using vitamin dust 1 meal a day, 2 days a week. Her eyes are bright, and alert when she is awake....no drainage. She is just so tiny and skinny compared to Virginia who is eating like a horse and plumping up nicely.
IMAG0290.jpg

Am I just freaking out, or are all these things normal for how little she is?????

One more thing, we were told by the stupid pet store that Beardies could live together....yes, I know now that they can't, but for the first week we had them in the same viv. Dylila was actually more active then than now, also eating better. Could it be a small bit of separation anxiety, along with relocation stress? Here is a pic before we separated them.
IMAG0273.jpg

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
I would guess that Dylila is suffering from relocation stress, since she got moved from the petstore less than 2 weeks ago, and it seems recently went through another move. The first couple of weeks my beardie (6 inches) ate 5-10 crickets daily. He eventually bumped up that number to ka-ching proportions, so that I just ordered my first 500 mixed dubias today. I'd give her a couple more days to see how she does. Are her poops still regular?

CHRISTLIKECHEF

Original Poster
yes, from everything I have read her poop looks good...not runny and white on top.

I go to work at 3:30pm each night, so I only have so long with her. She is asleep when I get home. It is good to hear about your baby, eases my stress a little.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Yeah I was totally freaked out about his eating habits when he was young(er). If she's not leaving her basking spot, she might not be getting warm enough. I've found that 105 F combined with direct access to the Repti Glo 10.0 (I also use it, so far no ill results) makes Darwin extremely hyper in the afternoons, but he was very skittish and...lazy I guess lol...when I first got him home. She's still adjusting to her new tank, so I'm sure that she'll bounce right back in a couple of days.

CHRISTLIKECHEF

Original Poster
I seriously do not know what I would do without this site and all the wonderful people on it who are willing to give advice and answer questions!!!! Thank you all so much!

CHRISTLIKECHEF

Original Poster
I just wanted everyone to know that Dylila is doing better today, she ate 7 crickets, which is a definite improvement. She was trying to paw through her viv to get at the cricket keeper....Yeah!!! She was also much more active today and her poop looks great!! Think she is getting ready to shed on her head, she has been rubbing it on her log and puffing up a lot. She shed her tail last week. Took some new pics today.
IMAG0312.jpg

She was so cute with her leg just hanging off her log, she was just chilin'
IMAG0295.jpg

IMAG0298.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smallfry_Zoey
Top Bottom