Too much water = runny poop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlebirdy

Juvie Member
The basic Clovis stats:
Tank: 75 gallon
Substrate: Newspaper and paper towels, eventually moving to tile
Temperatures: 100-130 on basking side (130 on the hottest part of his stick), 80s on cool side, 70s at night via temp gun.
Basking light: 75 watt plant bulb
UVB: 36 inch Reptisun 10 tube, can get 6-8 inches from it if he climbs to the super-hot part of his stick
Lights on from 6:20am-8:45pm on a timer, misses about an hour and a half of that time for snuggles and floor time
Diet: collards/endive/cactus + spaghetti squash/butternut squash/acorn squash in the mornings after lights have been on for about an hour, 30ish large phoenix worms in the evening OR 20-30 dusted crickets if we are out of worms. Sometimes I dust his greens with calcium but I don't think he likes the soggy dust. He gets vitamin dust twice a week.
Poop: Usually in the mornings during his first hour with lights on, usually excretes a lot of water with it. He will sometimes poop a second time during the afternoon. Notice an undigested worm sometimes in poop, and when I gave him minced squash I noticed some squash chunks in his poo as well.
Hydration: Mist veggies daily, mist him whenever, water dish in tank (very shallow, changed every 1-2 days), 10-15 minute soak every five days or so
Length: 13 inches, been that length for approximately a month
Weight: Unknown. Yes, I should get a scale.

Last week I noticed some unformed poop. The vet tech who had him before us said to cut down on the squash because too much water can cause runny poop, and to bring him in to the vet if his poop didn't firm up. Well, the poop got happier, but now it seems unformed again. He's got a wide range of temps to choose from (including char broiled on the top of his stick where he likes to hang out and gape) so I'm fairly sure low temps are not the issue. I always give him an hour with lights before and after noms. He's got a water dish in his viv at all times and we've seen him in it before, plus he excretes a lot of water with his poop even when the poop itself is well formed. We have a mini parasite pharmacy from our departed Bowser, but I don't want to blow thirty bucks for a fecal for Clovis just because I am paranoid. He's eating like a champ, he likes to explore, he finished a back and tum shed last week and is working on legs and lips (why only the lips I have no idea) currently. Of course if I see critters in his poop, if his appetite decreases, or he seems more lethargic I will take him to the vet post-haste, but is there anything else I could try to firm up his poop in the meantime?

littlebirdy

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So does that mean too much squash is bad, or that unformed poo is okay if you feed lots of squash?
Either way, glad my dragon isn't the only one who get squash runs!

fluffpuffgerbil

Juvie Member
I think it's from the squash. Scout eats a lot of squash and he has runny poops too.
That's pretty much the only thing he likes. He hates his greens(that I know of, I never see him eat them.XD) and only eats crix if that's his only choice...
So I think the squash it what gets it runny. ;P I don't think it's anything to be too worried about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom