Too much humidity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickStar

I'm a new Beardie owner, 6 days now actually, and I just upgraded my 10 gallon tank to a 40 gallon breeder Critter Cage. I had been hearing that the humidity gauge should stay between 10% and 30% humidity. Mine is at 40%, and I'm not sure how to lower it 10 - 20%. I've heard a dehumidifier can help, but they're so expensive it's ridiculous, does anyone know if there's another way to lower the humidity effectively?

Kristen623

I also noticed my temp gage will read at 40% humidity during the night when the lights are off. I don't mist the tank. I have a water bowl for drinking and no other water sources.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Kristen623":22829r8c said:
I also noticed my temp gage will read at 40% humidity during the night when the lights are off. I don't mist the tank. I have a water bowl for drinking and no other water sources.

Some people use waterbowls, however this is not necessary as most dragons don't drink from standing water (however some do) I don't use water bowls in any of mine, and I bathe them 3 x a week, and I put water in the bottom of their greens bowl to keep them from drying out. Maybe try removing the water for a couple days and see if that makes a difference.

Kristen623

Thanks. I will try that! I've always wondered about the waterbowl. I never see him drink from it. When I prepare his greens, I do mist it lightly before placing the food bowl in his tank so there is a little water in it. How often should I bathe a 4 month old? I've been doing 1-2x a week.

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
2 x a week is good for an adult.. a 4 month old I would do 3 - 4 times a week. Babies dehydrate quicker than adults.

NickStar

Original Poster
No, I don't have a water bowl, I mist them twice a day, and in the morning's they drink the drops of water that rolls off of their head from the squirt bottle. The humidity actually went down to 30% on it's own ^_^ but.. For some reason he's still opening his mouth..

I bought a new ceramic heat lamp today with a 75W ExoTerra Intense Basking Spot. He seems to be opening his mouth a lot - I'm guessing to regulate his temperature.. The temp gauge says it's 100 on the left side of the tank and 80 on the other, humidity at 30%, I'm not sure what's wrong.

He IS going through his first shed right now though, actually almost shed his entire body on his own today, I think the warm bath I gave him last night helped him shed today, but I'm no expert.

But yeah, the humidity went down a bit, no water bowl.. But is the light I'm using okay for a 40 gallon breeder? I figured 75W would be no problem with an intense desert basking light like this, but once again, I'm no expert :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom