too fat? should I cut meals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iamakel

Hey guys, these are my beardies. 8 months two of them, and the adults are about 3 years old. Do you think that I should cut the meals on the babies? I feed them about 90 cinerea bugs every day in 3 meals. And the adults mostly veggies and one time a week, bugs.
92132-4268928971.jpg
92132-477742339.jpg
92132-6100054053.jpg
92132-3329627151.jpg
92132-2878293568.jpg

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
This is what i go by for feeding, how the two younger ones look 3 times a day may be too much and may be needed to cut down a bit to twice a day depending on age. All of them are separated correct? Im also not sure what cinerea bugs are. If you want just pay attention to the top portion but i'll leave the rest in in case you want to read it.

1-4 months 3 times a day 10-20 bugs each feeding,
4-12 months twice a day 10-20 bugs each feeding,
12-20 months once a day 10-20 bugs each feeding,
And then 20+ months every other day 10-20 bugs each feeding.

And of course daily salads in all age ranges, usually collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens daily and then the occasional blueberry, banana, or red raspberry once or twice a week in their salad.

As for the bug portion i usually feed crickets, calciworms, dubia roaches, and turkish roaches for staples.

As for dusting, ones below 20+ months usually 5 times a week for calcium and 2 times a week for multivitamins. And then for the 20+ month olds usually 3 times a week for calcium and once a week for multivitamins.

As for treats i occasionally will give them hornworms, superworms or mealworms. Usually 5-10 mealworms, and then for hornworms and superworms 2-4. For mealworms i offer those once or twice a week and then with superworms and hornworms usually once a week or twice every two weeks. Hornworms can be offered a bit more than superworms can since they do have less fat and are mostly just moisture which is good for hydration in some cases but can cause diarrhea if given too many.

Iamakel

Original Poster
Yes they are all separated. Thanks for the advice, I will cut the meals to two per day!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, your beardies look beautiful. :) I agree on the bug reduction, no dragon really needs 90 insects per day, ever. They CAN eat that many but don't need it. Generally, 25-50 max is all they need. I raised many clutches of babies from the egg over more than a 20 year period and turned out beautiful healthy dragons. They don't need to be stuffed all day long to be healthy. Some dragons that are overfed as subadults grow to become fat couch potato dragons that never move and end up with possible health problems such as gout, liver, kidney + heart trouble as well as joint problems. And a fat female actually has more chance of becoming eggbound because of all the fat around the reproductive organs. So keep them from getting fat + they'll live longer, healthier lives. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom