tolracol overdose?!? please help

Spiketheberdie

Beardie name(s)
Spikey
Hello everyone,
I’m currently treating my 7 year old bearded dragon with a coccidia treatment, it’s for 3 days and I’ve made a bad mistake. The dosage is supposed to be 0.15ml every day for 3 days and I’ve accidentally given 0.5ml. So in total he’s had 15mls. He had the last dose exactly one week ago but hasn’t shown any symptoms other than lethargic, which is what he was showing before the coccidia treatment. I feel so horrible and shook up, is there anything I can do to help him?? Should I be worried?? My vet is closed at weekends so i can’t call them right now, and the emergency vet doesn’t specify in reptiles :(

He wasn’t eating bugs before the treatment and he still isn’t eating, he is currently being fed a powdered formula brand by oxbow which is recommended by my vet along with ‘smoothies’ which are mixed up greens with a couple blueberries for flavour, which he happily takes both.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello everyone,
I’m currently treating my 7 year old bearded dragon with a coccidia treatment, it’s for 3 days and I’ve made a bad mistake. The dosage is supposed to be 0.15ml every day for 3 days and I’ve accidentally given 0.5ml. So in total he’s had 15mls. He had the last dose exactly one week ago but hasn’t shown any symptoms other than lethargic, which is what he was showing before the coccidia treatment. I feel so horrible and shook up, is there anything I can do to help him?? Should I be worried?? My vet is closed at weekends so i can’t call them right now, and the emergency vet doesn’t specify in reptiles :(

He wasn’t eating bugs before the treatment and he still isn’t eating, he is currently being fed a powdered formula brand by oxbow which is recommended by my vet along with ‘smoothies’ which are mixed up greens with a couple blueberries for flavour, which he happily takes both.
We need Tracie drache613 to advise- is he black bearding?
@Drache613

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry that happened! What strength is the Toltrazuril, it is liquid or paste? Can you post
a picture of the label for us?
If he isn't black bearding then hopefully it hasn't made him feel too bad. His system is probably
trying to metabolize it. Do you have any activated charcoal at home? Or, if not then you can also
get some parsley, cilantro, mint & oregano to mix up together to help detoxify his system. Be sure
to keep him a little warmer overnight, to help boost his metabolism.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Spiketheberdie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Spikey
Hello,

So sorry that happened! What strength is the Toltrazuril, it is liquid or paste? Can you post
a picture of the label for us?
If he isn't black bearding then hopefully it hasn't made him feel too bad. His system is probably
trying to metabolize it. Do you have any activated charcoal at home? Or, if not then you can also
get some parsley, cilantro, mint & oregano to mix up together to help detoxify his system. Be sure
to keep him a little warmer overnight, to help boost his metabolism.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie
Hello, thank you so much for your reply and advice!! The bottle of tolracol has my address on it so I can’t really post it. But it says Baycox in brackets, it’s a liquid form and it says a 5% solution.

I do have activated charcoal!! I’ll give him some today. I’ve been using a CHE overnight anyway since he’s ill, thank you so much for the recommendations, I’ll see how he gets on with the activated charcoal and let you know!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are welcome, no problem.
That is great you do have activated charcoal. You can give him some a couple of times per day,
along with a little extra oral fluids. Luckily, Toltrazuril is only slightly toxic so it shouldn't last too long.
Keeping him a little warmer overnight will help his system metabolize the medication faster.
Let us know how he is doing! Thankfully it wasn't Ivermectin/Ivomec, etc that would not be good.

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom