To chop or not to chop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

elmore91011

Hatchling Member
Ok I chop up all of Bella's leafy greens, while I don't mind, I'm wondering if she can have a whole leaf of collard or kale ect? I wasn't sure if the "nothing bigger than the space between her eyes" concept applied to leafys as well? Thanks in Advance =)

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
It doesn't matter if you chop or not. I chop big pieces because it seems like they eat more that way. A whole leaf for a dragon that size will be kind of tough to handle, but for an adult it's no big deal at all. Now if I put a whole leaf in with several babies, they will all bite on it at the same time and tear it apart, almost as if they are working together.

mrgoogls

Hatchling Member
I think even a baby would be able to tear a piece of a full leaf if you used some sort of clip to secure it to like the side of the tank. but i cut mine up. but i leave them in pretty big peices. ranging from about half the space between his eyes, to about 1 1/2 the space.

elmore91011

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
mrgoogls":2mytqgll said:
I think even a baby would be able to tear a piece of a full leaf if you used some sort of clip to secure it to like the side of the tank. but i cut mine up. but i leave them in pretty big peices. ranging from about half the space between his eyes, to about 1 1/2 the space.

Thank you!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would be careful about the stems though like on the collards because I had an adult female get some jammed in her throat once and I had to go after it to remove it. So, just thought I would mention that as it was scary for her and for me.

mrgoogls

Hatchling Member
That is true! Forgot that... You could still cut the leaf in half, so u just have leaf and no stem. Then pin that to the wall

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds like a safer plan. Some of the kale and other green stems are quite thick too, so caution is a good idea. I always pulled the leaves apart though when all of mine were babies although once in a while I would hold a leaf up to let them pull it off, that was cute to watch. :lol:

elmore91011

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
diamc":18vch3q6 said:
I would be careful about the stems though like on the collards because I had an adult female get some jammed in her throat once and I had to go after it to remove it. So, just thought I would mention that as it was scary for her and for me.

yikes that would be scary! I do cut the stems and tough veins out anyways though. I am still cutting them up but not as fine as I was. It's like have a newborn all over again lol

I appreciate all the help!

I've only had Skatter for 5 days, but so far he ignores the chopped stuff in the bowl, but happily eats 4-5 bites of kale from my hand. This lets me dip it in water just before feeding it to him. Just felt like sharing!

valcash

Sub-Adult Member
With my adults they have preferences, from the chopping and dicing size and colors and type of veggies to everything else in between. I would make sure and remove any thick woody stems in the middle of leaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mysticsalten
Top Bottom