tip for getting them to eat greensi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the majority of information says to offer greens before bugs, and I do. but I noticed now if mojo doesn't seem interested (just made 9 months) in the greens a few hours after lights on, then if I feed him 2-3 roaches (normally eats 12+) then he will look at me crazy wanting more. if I just leave he will scour his cage for any stray bugs and then immediately go chow down on his veggies. its a cruel trick I know but it definetly stimulates his appetite and gets him eating greens earlier where before it would be after 1pm some days. hope this idea might help a few others with stubborn dragons who want to hold out for the goodies and not eat their veggies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I had the problem with Toothless and Peppa that if followed the schedule the breeder used , and I offered them their greens and veg first, they'd pig out on these and then show no interest in the bugs. Being babies , I want them to eat mostly bugs for now.

So -
I give crickets first (10am-ish)
and
then about 2pm - 3pm I give them their salad
and
final meal more bugs (silkworms while I have them) 4pm - 5pm.

Works for me.

My big girl Rex get's her salad in the morning. And a big feed of insects at diner time (EVERY DAY).

z0mbiebabykiller

Original Poster
I'm kind of wondering if a set feeding schedule (same time, same food) is really good/necessary. it seems like it might make them bored. in the wild they would never know exactly what and when they would eat. if I'm off work and home all day I pretty much offer food every few hours besides keeping fresh greens.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Personally I think variation in frequency, quantity and time food is offered can be a useful enrichment tool. It helps keep them stimulated and encourages foraging behavior and in your case sounds like helps get a broader range of food.

You could play on that as well maybe and "hide" - few extra bugs in the enclosure for him to forage out.

z0mbiebabykiller

Original Poster
there are always a few roaches hiding in nooks and crannies. he knows where to find them also. not sure if its instinctual for them to search crevices and cracks or learned behavior and looking where he's found prey previously. we were feeding crickets as well but considering cutting them out since they are potential host to intestinal parasites. kind of hate doing that bc he thoroughly enjoys hunting crickets, the roaches don't run as much, nor come out once hidden.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
z0mbiebabykiller":t121c1c5 said:
there are always a few roaches hiding in nooks and crannies. he knows where to find them also. not sure if its instinctual for them to search crevices and cracks or learned behavior and looking where he's found prey previously. we were feeding crickets as well but considering cutting them out since they are potential host to intestinal parasites. kind of hate doing that bc he thoroughly enjoys hunting crickets, the roaches don't run as much, nor come out once hidden.

Has more to do with convenience for the carer than training the beardie/lizard in general IMO.

In the wild they are opportunitistic feeders (insects, flowers, edible greens, smaller reptiles, even occasionally small mammals if they can catch them, are all on the menu and they take what they find).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom